Touring on Naked Bikes

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Graemsay, Oct 12, 2009.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  2. Breezlife

Breezlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah you can. In a Nissan.
  3. Buck McCann

Buck McCann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TTT
  4. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for the poster child for style over substance or a manufacturer rushing to get in on the 'Scrambler' craze, it's the Bolt. It is a cruiser plain and simple. It depends on what type o riding your wife intends to do. With Yamahas off road chops this is one bike I never understood making it to the showrooms.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

....the T7 taking 4 years to bring to market.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    +1 I was initially enthused as the rider's triangle looked like it would accommodate my height real well (at least on CyclErgo). Then I read ChopperCharles thread in Road Warriors...
  7. Castorp

Castorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've put 80,000 miles on my ex500, doing much of that with 300 to 500 mile riding days (I use it to visit family and friends in other states, not commute). I started with the standard windscreen and kept chopping it and chopping due to the noise and turbulence it created, and now it has no screen to speak of. So it's pretty much "Naked." I considered switching to a bike with a big fairing and windshield but when I tried one I couldn't stand the heat and especially the buffeting noises. I can lean into an eighty mile an hour wind and feel pretty comfortable all day, but buffeting noises exhaust me. Actually not having the wind to "hold me up" left me more tired.

Someone said earlier in this thread he doesn't want to turn this into a gear debate. Nor do I. But my main struggles have all had to do with gear.

A jacket has to fit really snug or it flaps and it drives me crazy. I recently switched to a leather jacket and that flapped even more than textile, so I must stick to really close fitting gear regardless of material, and this brings me to my second struggle:
    temps seem exaggerated, extreme, on a naked bike, whether cold or hot, and all of the extremes create the need for a very versatile gear--and that's hard to reconcile with the need for the snug fit. If you're wearing layers beneath a jacket, say, and remove them, the jacket fits a little looser, and will start flapping. I keep searching for jackets with lots of cinches, elastic, anything to keep it snug, together with lots of zipper vents to help me deal with extreme cold or extreme heat, but I'm not making very good decisions so far.

Then there's rain. Rain suits flap. I see people on faired bikes and they can get away with floppy rain gear. But on a naked bike it drives me crazy. I'd love to find a good tough but snug fitting rain suit. I have not yet.

So I wind up carrying a lot of gear on a trip... I have to change clothes at gas stops, and even then I'm aware of the shortcomings of gear between stops.

I am okay with my helmet though. I use icons (they fit my long head) with plugphones and a good neck gaiter. It's pretty quiet in the clean air. It does get spattered with lots of bugs--but that is a minor concern.
    Breezlife, ZOMGdonuts and mrbreeze like this.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the secret to avoiding the buffeting behind a big windshield or fairing is to have some way of allowing air into the cockpit. Otherwise you are creating a vacuum and drawing in the turbulence. The "vent" on a Goldwing windshield work very well. The rider can adjust the size of the opening, and channel the air in the desired direction.
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really depends on the bike too. My Leoncino and RX3 are both great with a windshield. My SCR950 is terrible. Tiny flyscreen or giant barn door, it doesn't matter, it will buffet me to death.

Charles.
  10. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I can't even fathom how a leather jacket would be 'flappy' in the wind unless it was made from hilariously thin material or was hilariously loose on you. Aside from that, I agree with everything else. Gear should fit snugly for a whole host of reasons. The layers can be problematic, but if you use electrics it will limit the bulk. If you don't want that, I would err on things being a little tight when layered up as opposed to too loose when it's hot.

For rain, yeah... The best rain gear I've ever had was a Harley branded suit. Heavy material and it lasted about a decade before things started leaking. But, it packed huge so I was reluctant to take it. Everything else is like wearing a 55 gallon drum liner, and they all leak sooner than they should.

I have some Dianese textile stuff with D-Dry rain liners that go under. It's good for getting to the office dry (remember when we had to still go into the office?), but you still end up with a soaked jacket. My Klim Gore Tex stuff has been totally water tight and, so far, the best solution I've found.

I don't care what anyone says, the comfort and quietness of sitting behind a Goldwing windscreen has nothing to do with that vent and everything to do with with the sheer size of it. To date, a Goldwing is the only windscreen I've liked... too bad the rest of the bike just isn't for me.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    What are you wearing that is flapping like that?

I have a pretty silly amount of gear both textile and leather and none of it is "flappy" particularly the leather....and I was all naked (or super sport) all the time for 20 years.

Also seriously consider going powered, its a game changer, this should allow you to do a waterproof shell and a base layer, then heated liners and at most a fleece on the torso which serves down to freezing in my experience. I am less judicious about waterproof in my summer gear, but I live where its frigging hot, and don't really care if I get wet a lot of the time, but I'll still usually have my goretex liners with me on my best warm weather stuff.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  12. Castorp

Castorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The jacket is a Milwaukee Leather jacket, which according to the literature is 1.1 mm goat leather. Though I usually only just fit into a size large, I ordered a medium. It fits snug in the shoulders with the liner, and the sleeve length is perfect when I'm on the bike, but it's big in the middle and it has no cinch straps. Worse, the "action back" opens up at speed--especially when I take the liner out, and especially when I open up all the vents. This causes the worst of the flapping.

Maybe one day I will try the heated gear, but my motorcycle doesn't have the power to run much. I think it could just handle a pair of gloves. But it's definitely something I will take into consideration if I get a different bike some day.
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I would try a different jacket, even my +10 year old Scorpion, doesn't flap at all...and suffice it to say its "well broken in" Its my winter commuting jacket.
    Johann likes this.
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are battery powered heat options too.

Charles.
    zap2504 likes this.
  15. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Was just out in Eastern Oregon for the first trip of the year.

Had a blast, this is an awesome bike for doing some sport touring on.

20210313_134223.jpg

20210312_133536.jpg

20210312_144349.jpg
  16. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent enough time traveling on my 1998 Vakyrie with no wind screen.
    Then touring on sportbikes, 95 Ducati 900SP, 96 ZX9R, 2000 Hayabusa, 2006 GSXR1000, 2011 GSXR 1000 I'm used to at least a little screen and some fairing protection. Sat on a new KTM Super Dike and felt, NAked! love the mt-10, R1, BUT, terrible fuel mileage!
  17. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    20201031_123259.jpg

Super Dukes tour just fine....my gen 1 stock had a near 200 mile fuel range and will happily cruise at 90mph without putting a dent in your fuel range.

They sit closer to an Adventure than an R1.

Surprisingly the MT-10 was closer to my Multistrada than my Super Duke... the bar was way to close in the rear position for me anyway.
    Bad Dad and prince_ruben like this.
  18. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, the SD is still on the list, though I miss the trellis subframe.
  19. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    That is the ONLY thing I dislike about my FZ10, but I have certainly learned where all the gas stations are where I travel :deal

I do occasionally miscalculate, or reroute away from gas stations, and end up with some fuel anxiety. I do carry a MSR bottle of fuel and have not had to use it or push the bike yet. Best I've done is 135 with the light on for longer that I care for it to be. :uhoh

The sound/fun of ripping that crossplane engine through the gears with the quickshifter makes me forgive it for the fuel range shortcomings.

Pretty much anything can be used a Sport-tourer, every bike in my stable gets touring duty.
    1 wheel peel and Bad Dad like this.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    So grab a gen two.... AND it'll be $5000-7000 cheaper.

The Gen three carries nearly a gallon less fuel, and as such has less range, there isn't a huge difference between the motors...and unless you absolutely must have the linkage rear suspension, grab which ever you think looks best.

Neither the gen 2 or gen 3 were enough of a departure to get me off of my '14 for reference....plus starting over after I finally have everything like I want it. Yeah, nope.
    Shaggie and Bad Dad like this.