Touring on Naked Bikes

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Graemsay, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Castorp

Castorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you're saying, and I do sometimes--but the white tail deer populations are so high here, I tend to choose to battle the heat due to them alone.
  2. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I have been riding in a Motoport suit since about 2009. Mine is their Ultra II suit, with mesh jacket and a stretch pants.
    It’s been a great combo for me. Expensive, but all of the good gear options are. I had a Roadcrafter (jacket only) prior to that and I must not be as tough as everyone else b/c it was difficult to tolerate in August and I’m in Pennsylvania.
    I ride all 4 seasons (except for when there is ice on the road obviously) and have found this suit to be incredibly flexible for temperature management in all weather. I do use heated gloves in winter, and if I was riding more than an hour at a time in the winter I would add a heated vest.
    The downside of this suit for touring I guess would be the liners. They are bulky to pack along. It has not been that big of a problem for me b/c nearly all of my riding is commuting, where the weather is known before leaving home. So the liner stays in the suit from sometime in Oct to April. Other than that I only use it if there is rain during my AM commute. If it rains on the way home I don’t care about getting wet.
    That obviously would not be the case on a tour, so you might opt for an over the top rain suit which would be easier to pack. I have used Frogg Toggs in the past. They were meh... good enough but I wouldn’t call them exceptional. I have heard really favorable reviews of some Harley branded rain suits, but not sure which specifically.

My gear has long since paid for itself, so I am considering what to get next. I will still have this set and it’s still good to wear so I will likely go in a different direction next.
    I would love to try out the Transit 3 suit from Aerostich. Waterproof perforated leather... sounds too good to be true, but users seem to rave about it. The one knock seems to be difficulty getting the right size / sleeve length. Might be a reason to take a trip to Duluth and try it on in person.
    Rukka has something from the same material, their Aramos suit which is even more expensive that the Transit, but may also be an option. I would personally go with the Transit partly on price but also b/c I have had great customer experience with aerostich. For example that Roadcrafter jacket I mentioned earlier they took that back and gave me full price store credit b/c that particular generation of their high-viz fabric had a fading issue.
  3. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love my ‘Stich Transit. Only problem is, the pants have shrunk over the past year of sloth and gluttony :dukegirl
    Workin’ on that now.
  4. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW rainsuit that I take with me when traveling, but it's not much fun to put on or take off -- that's a big plus for the Roadcrafter -- so I ride in the rain without it as much as feasible. If it's going to rain all day, I'll wear the rainsuit. If it's just going to be showers, not so much.

I kind of wondered about uv degradation of the nylon in the Roadcrafter after so many miles. I don't know how big a concern this should be, but sunlight certainly does degrade nylon. So I thought about another Roadcrafter, but I also have many miles in leathers. I decided to go with leathers again. The leather jacket is a little quieter because the shoulders on the Roadcrafter are bigger and cause more wind turbulence right under the ears.
  5. CopaMundial

Oddometer:
    Snipped this one section to point out that with removable liners that ‘all airflow or all sealed’ concern may not be the case.
    With my Motoport suit while the wind/rain liner zips into the outer jacket for ease of donning, the liner has it’s own zipper. So if I am wearing it on hot days where rain is forecast I will unzip the liner and fold it back so that my whole chest is exposed as one big mesh vent. It obviously doesn’t flow as well as no liner, but it’s more comfortable (to me) than a gore-Tex jacket with zipper vents. When the rain starts I just stop, unzip outer jacket, zip up the front of the liner, and re-zip outer jacket.

Having said that, my note about the bulkiness of the liners is still a downside where touring is concerned. And I only rarely ride in temps over 100 so I would defer to others in the hotter climates about the questions of evaporative cooling and dehydration due to too much airflow in a mesh jacket.
  6. CopaMundial

Oddometer:
    It is my sincere hope that the seven deadly sins are sort like the Stanley Cup where you can lose 3 of the 7 and still advance to the next round.
    sturgeon and AllSeasonRider like this.
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forest rats, I hear you. We have mostly mulies around here which are way more docile than the white tails. We do spot an occasional white tail but honestly I've seen 3 or 4 in the 12 years we've been here. Best description of a white tail I've heard: "A frayed nerve on crack!"
  8. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Maybe @GeoKrpan can comment as he has just bought some gear for riding his Honda CB300R.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Roadcrafter are great - cold in winter and hot in summer... :fpalm

When I got my first one, back in '92, there were no real options or competitors and it was probably the best thing out there for year-round riding. I was a big fan and still have one hanging in my gear closet. Almost 30 years later, it's still the same suit Goldfine designed when the options were basic leathers (with minimal crash pads) or jeans with some rain suit over it for when it got wet. There are so many option now, many of them better in both cold and warm weather at half the price of a new Roadcrafter that I can't bring myself to buying another one. If you commute on your bike and need to be in "work" clothes when you get to the office, it's hard to beat the convenience of a one-piece Roadcrafter. For all other riding situations, there are much better solutions. :deal

Gustavo
    chazbird likes this.
  10. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you're the Leafs :lol3
  11. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple shots of my loaded SV650, from one of many trips:
    (when I see something with my name on it, I have to get a shot of it)

P1010391.JPG

P1010395.JPG
    Bad Dad, tennmoto, oldoval and 3 others like this.
  12. Castorp

Castorp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you all so much for information and tips. I made a big zilla order to try on some different suits--to see if I like any of them any better. But if this fails (again) I will get serious about the stich/motoport/vansons possibilities. That's a big leap for me. I would be riding around in gear that cost 2 or 3 times the value of my bike! my main concern is not so much the investment as not knowing if it will work for me until I own it. So the feedback from you all is a big help. Thank you.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 jacket solution is a Klim Latitude and Induction. I personally think they are awesome jackets. Yeah, I've got leather for the Ducati and Harley but I still think the two Klim's I listed are close to perfect.
  14. cb0802

cb0802 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a Ninja 1000, so not naked, but have had a few non-faring bikes and figure a discussion about gear preferences is open to all. So, just my thoughts:
    I would never recommend a suit because once it's on you have no other options. Start the day with a suit, and you're riding in a suit, and they do NOT pack well if you want to change. I wear jacket and pants. I almost always wear textile pants, but like the option of kevlar jeans if I'm in the mood that day or plan to do a little sight seeing on my journey. So much easier than taking off and putting on a suit---especially on a hot day.
    I've never stopped to put on rain gear on a day that is hotter than 85, so consider that as cool/cold weather gear only. I wear an older Scorpion textile jacket with a rain liner, but have always preferred a rain jacket and pants over my riding gear since I can take it off when the rain stops. If you wear liners you have to go through the whole process of taking everything off and putting it back on, plus it's all wet when you put it on (especially sucks if you camp on multi day journeys). If you're considering going that route, don't overlook Harley rain gear. It's expensive, but well constructed and will keep you bone dry. It's also made a little more narrow and won't go flapping in the wind.
    1 wheel peel and dp064 like this.
  15. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    Hello again, Naked Heroes!

Too long it has been since images of fairingless bikes graced this thread. Too often have imposters dared to intrude. Inevitable shall be the comments of those who prefer walls of clear plexiglass on their machines and comfortable nursing shoes upon their feet, so marvelously practical are they.

Late last summer, I accompanied my brother-in-law on his first-ever motorcycle trip. Thirty days, 4000 miles covering Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho. Temperatures ranged from 110 degrees (Utah) to 22 degrees (Stanley, ID).

Properly brainwashed on the merits of naked touring, he gleefully loaded up his new Ducati Scrambler 1100. I, once more, selected my gallant SV650.

Out into the world of Covid we went, determined to keep roadside cafes in business, one slice of pie and one bottle of beer at a time...

[​IMG]
    The Scrambler and the SV.

[​IMG]
    Utah, one of the beauties of the American West.

[​IMG]
    Capital Reef National Park. This was early in the trip, before my brother-in-law ditched that backpack. I warned him!

[​IMG]
    That wonderful Utah tarmac.

[​IMG]
    Silverton, Ouray and Montrose were all booked solid, every room and every campground. We threw down in a public Montrose park on the discreet side of a pond, and guerilla camped for the night.

[​IMG]
    Dig that prime parking at hotels.

[​IMG]
    I love small town America, god help me so.

[​IMG]
    Deadwood, it is. Hoopleheads rejoice!

[​IMG]
    Over-reachin' bastard G-men!!!

[​IMG]
    Travelling across rural America, I have definitively proven that man can survive on fresh pie alone.

[​IMG]
    Little Bighorn.

[​IMG]
    F*ckin' Montana. Your skies get me every time.

[​IMG]
    As trusty a steed as I've ever owned.

[​IMG]
    Engines silent, burbling river. Perfect.

[​IMG]
    It was my brother-in-law's first visit to Glacier National Park....

[​IMG]
    ...and my fifth visit. Worth the northerly stretch, every time.

[​IMG]
    The Jack Saloon. Lolo, MT.

[​IMG]
    Southfork Lodge, ID. MASSIVE servings of daaamn tasty pie and homemade cheesecake, Backpacker Moto-approved.

[​IMG]
    Cowpokes crossin' a river, just as it should be.

[​IMG]
    Soaking in the Sawtooths outside of Stanley, ID.

That's all I got for this installment. Keep on touring, naked heroes!
    MadMax, rixcafe, Alexiskal and 40 others like this.
  16. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:D:D:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    For some strange reason I find this post eerily soothing...:clap
  18. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those pics of Glacier National park are amazing!
    Tour naked!
  19. Hokem Malarky

Hokem Malarky Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't explain why but this post really made my day. Awesome stuff!

20. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    It's the pie photo, right? And to think, I almost left it out.

Thanks much for the kind words!
    c_m_shooter and Dirt2007 like this.