Touring Rules

Discussion in 'Australia' started by S2W, Nov 29, 2007.

1. S2W

S2W I said wax ON you idiot!

Oddometer:
    A thread for tips and rules-of-thumb while we are away from home and travelling with our bikes

:lurk

I'll kick off!

One thing I've recently picked up is this: In the regions pubs and clubs open their dining rooms for dinner around 5-5:30. I've figured out EAT IN YOU RIDING GEAR. Then go back to where ever it is you are bedding down. Then you can shed the riding gear, clean up and relax without having to worry about feeding yourself.

On my next multi-day trip I plan to ride all day, as I have in the past. Plan to enter a town before dark and eat straight away. Then I'll organise a camping site or a room. If I'm camping I've got a full belly. I can buy some stuff for brekky, refuel then head to/find a campsite.

I reckon I'm on to something with this. Or am I just stating the bleeding obvious. This approach has to make life much easier on the road.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  2. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    The number 1 rule that always applies:

What goes on a trailride, stays on a trailride:wink:
    rpiereck and mr bones like this.
  3. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    If your broken down on the side of the road; Have a flat Tyre; Bogged; Crashed; or anything,

... just stop, take a deap breath, look around you, and absorb the event.
    Hay Ewe, Oz Nutter, Kiwirich and 2 others like this.
  4. aussiedav

aussiedav ... it's just a road

Oddometer:
    Hint #1: Remember to pack the camera someplace you can get at easily..... then use it.

Hint #2: Ride on the black bits till you find brown bits then follow that to the wet bits.
  5. S2W

Oddometer:
    Yep! Many people say that's the time to get out the stove, and brew up a cuppa...Can't hurt!
  6. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never eat at a "chain" restaurant.
    rpiereck and itsgunnahurt like this.
  7. Duffman

Duffman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont forget to take some sort of bike lock, ie disk lock or similar. Just because your away from the city doesnt mean there arent any robbers :)
  8. RomperStromper

RomperStromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do maintanence as soon as you stop every arvo, when touring you might be putting more ware'n'tear on your bike each day than in a normal month.

I say in the Arvo for 2 reasons. (1) Chain is best lubed when warm, same for tyre pressures. (2) If you find a problem, you have the night to find a solution or meet a local at the pub to help you out, first thing in the morning you & your companians will be in a hurry, and the locals will to, so help is harder to find.
    rpiereck likes this.
  9. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    No backtracking:deal
  10. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Err tyre pressures are usally taken when cold?

Best to fill the fuel tank early morning when the fuel is colder .. unless your in Canada where they compensate the pump for the temperature change.

Having said that .. sometimes you may be off before the local fuel station opens .. so just get enought to get you to the place after the next fuel station.

Never fill the bike unless you are going to ride off straight away.

------

Service the bike after you have set up camp/got a room, do the messy stuff when you have a wash room handy.

-----
    If camping the otherside of town, possibly buying a hot meal (say a chicken?) and taking it with you - saves cooking.
  11. RomperStromper

RomperStromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Err... to my knowledge tyres should be checked " at operating temperature"

Each to there own, I just like to have all the bike stuff & refueling etc done at the end of the day so that in the morning you can get an early start. Also, in my usual riding group, having one person holding every one up in the morning while they try and adjust/lube chain or fix some thing is a definate no no!:splat
  12. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    I always check the tyres cold. They vary a lot when hot.

Frank I hear what you are saying about not fueling up till your ready to go, especially in areas of petrol sniffing.

But I usually do it first thing when I come into a town. For two reasons, plans may change and you want an early exit in the morning or (as happened to me once) the town power goes down due to storms and nothing is available.
    (We got to Coolgardie just after a big storm, all the power was out, had to ride into Kalgoorlie to get fuel to continue on to Norseman and ultimately, Adelaide.)

Andrew.
    itsgunnahurt likes this.
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    If travelling in some form of group (usually four or more) - especially if off road in remote areas, come to some form of system to keep track of one another (corner man system, follow the leader, point and shoot... whatever), AGREE upon it and then STICK to it... It's an (unneccessary) pain in the arse (not to mention hazardous) situation to have to constantly turn back a look for peaple who have taken a wrong turn, broken down, fallen off etc. Just becuase you didn't take care in clarifying your intended route at trail junctions, turn offs (especially when travelling through towns) etc. Make sure you're 100% on what the routine is and the method you use to keep track of those in the group.

Okay, when someone does fall, gets hurt or does get lost... you can't always help it. But then again, you also have to have ALREADY agreed on a plan on what to do, how and where/when to do it, when and if the situation does arrive.
  14. vudu_52

vudu_52 Black Magic

Oddometer:
    Don't ride the same road more than once, except maybe in the opposite direction! :wave
  15. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most manufacturers recommend cold, but all you're really looking for is a leaking tyre right? So either cold or hot is fine as long as you're consistent eh?
  16. S2W

Oddometer:
    In the back-blocks keep your fuel tank at least 1/2 full if possible.

:ricky
  17. whitey222

whitey222 occasionally adventurous

Oddometer:
    If you're from the big city, and touring in the boonies, don't forget to wave to folk in passing cars. People in the country are friendly carnts !:wave
  18. upsidedowngreg

upsidedowngreg Gravel Surfer

Oddometer:
    so when is "operating temperature" reached??? after 1 km, 10km, 100km. operating temps will vary depending on road surface temperature, amibient temperature, speed you have been riding and how hard you have been riding. and tyre temperature will affect tyre air pressure.

Most major tyre manufacturers / suppliers recommend checking tyre pressure when the tyres are cold. It provides a more consistent reading.

just my two cents worth.

and my touring tip. get at least 100kms under your belt before breakfast.
  19. S2W

Oddometer:
    G'day mate, notice you are new around here! Are you the Upsidedowngreg that was the subject of a small feature in RoadRider Magazine.

If you are he, then Sunshine you're nearly freakin' legend. or as close as we get around here (easily amused you see).

Welcome!
  20. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    My Touring tip is to "do it on your bike".

And was that Peka`s head I saw in the on any Sunday section of the December Two Wheels ?

So this now makes that section of Two Wheels Mag "The Peka Head section". :rofl :rofl

Whats that you say ?....... Not funny..... gee I Thought I was Hilarious..... :cry

Cheers Alan :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky :freaky