Touring Rules

Discussion in 'Australia' started by S2W, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Never, ever order the special of the day at a roadhouse - it's a sure way to enjoy food poisoning. It's the "special" because the main ingredient has turned greener and started moving, again, much to the amusement of the cook.
  2. Mickldo

Mickldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK seeing as the tips are starting to head this way....

Nice and greasy, goes in easy.:wink:

Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your tongue and never put your tongue where you wouldn't put your dick.:evil
  3. Joff

Joff Open to suggestions

Oddometer:
    Shut up you :cry
  4. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frank Muir's advice to travelers to the sub continent was - never put anything to your lips unless you have boiled it first.

And I would give the curries a miss at Roadhouses too , dont ask---------.
  5. triple hoe

triple hoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Potato chips, twisties, burger rings etc. make good firelighters, they also pass as acceptable snacks.
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  6. Bulldust

Bulldust Bulldust

Oddometer:
    So does Metho :evil
  7. Crofty

Crofty Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer:
    You snack on Metho :D
  8. Mickldo

Mickldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metho. Not just for breakfast.......
  9. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:

Mix it with Sal vital, and you have bush Champagne. This came from Ted Egan, who was/is the Northern Territory administrator.
  10. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    Body bags make excellent bivvy bags.
    Always carry one scrunched up small for when you can't be arsed putting up a tent...
    Ask at a hosital and when they stop laughing they'll probably give you a couple for free.
    Also usefull for carrying wet gear, and for keeping dry gear dry when it is wet.
    Body bags, the accessory of a thousand uses!
  11. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:

camp well away from cemetery.
  12. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just be careful what type of hospital you walk into... they may not let you out

eerrrr, excuse me miss, can I have a dozen body bags please? New ones preferably. What am I going to use them for? I need them for ummmmm camping, yeah camping..... (receptionist smiles nervously as she activates silent alarm...)
    itsgunnahurt likes this.
  13. tariadamar

tariadamar mud lover

Oddometer:
    actually i am going to have to agree with the body bags i guy i hunt with works at a crematoriam and uses them for everything hell i used one on my trip to cook town and back. also good if your mates pass out drunk good for a laugh.
  14. Rumble

Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was told way back when I was young.

Ride as fast for as far as you can see. :evil

Can't see around that corner or over that rise. Slow down !!! Keep left !!!:ricky I remember this from the " Roger White Trail Rides " in NZ:scratch
  15. clarky

clarky 05' 640 Adv

Oddometer:
    Well they do say to kick while he's down :rofl :rofl :freaky
  16. PilbaraWanderer

PilbaraWanderer Pilbara Cruising

Oddometer:
    I will chuck down a few tricks lve found in the trips lve done....
    Cable ties strapped onto bike somewhere mixture of sizes
    Clutch cable cable tied to existing cable so if breaks it's a easy fix
    If travelling remote...remote being if only 1 car a day is seen or less...always let the local cops know the route your travelling and stick to that route and let them know when you arrive at the other end....carry a sat phone with the relevant emergency numbers into the contacts..bare minimum a spot tracker
    Learn a bit about bush survival..not only is it interesting but could save your life
    Do a St Johns first aid course
    Tents vrs swag l reckon it's a personal choice some tents take less time to pack than some swags
    Fuel up at each town ( depends l suppose upon distances some places down south n over east towns only 50klms apart )and first before camping or parking up for the night
    I've found on month long trips or longer my personal preference is to ride maybe 3 days n a rest day to take in the sights or relax n maintence day on the bike if your doing a lot of dirt work
    Country pubs are a weath of information....roads to take....good camping spots...which towns to lock up ya gear in ( some places it's best to not carry unleaded unless in the fuel tank around those places opal fuel is usaly sold )
    If camping between towns pull up a good hour before sunset so you can find a good campsite, sunsets when the roos come out to play ( sunrise too )
    If camping up North of Australia near the coast set up camp well back from any water ( crocks ) including freshwater because salties have been known to live in fresh water too
    Carry bushmans insect repellent
    Play the tourist that's part of the reason your on tour yeah ?
    If traveling 2 up keep her comfortable on the back of the bike....nothing worse than a unhappy travel partner...trust me on that one....
    Listen to local advice...within reason...once got told at a pub the track l was gonna use was well used n should be a piece of piss on the old Tenere l had....70klms into the track n loosing it twice due to it being overgrown and then the washouts l had to manhandle the bike thru l ended up turning back..carry a GPS...
    A lot of stuff has probley been covered by someone already and lm repeating it sorry....and some of the stuff a lot of people won't agree with but hey it's worked for me when lm out touring out n about....most important part is ride and enjoy the ride...once it becomes hard work it's no longer why we do it
  17. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    All roads and tracks are possible but the probable outcome is not always possible !
  18. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    You're probably right - but possibly wrong.
  19. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carry a cigarette lighter. If things turn to shit big time, airborne searchers will see a column of smoke from twenty or thirty klm even if they are homing on your ELT/EPIRB.
    itsgunnahurt and Mouse like this.
  20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I carry at least two...

Stevie, gadski, Andrew etc etc - where are you hiding?

Finished your ride report yet Nev?