Touring Rules

Discussion in 'Australia' started by S2W, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Scrubmonkey

Scrubmonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add to that do yourself a favor and rip that piece of metal off over the roller to. Bend the two little bits of metal up towards the front of that safety bit. Rip that sucker off and bend the little bits back down. Takes all of 30 seconds and you'll be thankful when your hands are cold or busted up or its pissing down rain.also gives it abit more flame to WP_20160508_003.jpg WP_20160508_002.jpg WP_20160508_001.jpg
  2. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Local cops in SA will not take details, nor will publicans. Follows coroner findings of lost details resulting in death. The suggestion is that you contact someone who cares about you and tell them - they are less likely to forget, more likely to cause a stink untill you're found. Best is to leave a plan with that person.. and ring them every so often to let them know. As part of your EPIRB/PLB plan your have to leave a plan with someone any way .. so make this person your contact. How frequently to make contact? How long do you want to wait for rescue?

Electric cigarette lighters don't work with a flat battery ... carry a Swedish FireKnife ... can be wet through, wiped off and still get sparks to start a fire, no batteries nor gas required.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Bic lighter as per photo has no battery, can dry the Flint easy enough. And always best of you taxed it from someone else of course (lighters are fair game)
    Scrubmonkey and itsgunnahurt like this.
  4. PilbaraWanderer

PilbaraWanderer Pilbara Cruising

Oddometer:
    Tyres or anything heavy plastic are your best bet so a black colum of smoke is seen.....this is also a good idea if you know your close but out of walking range ( unless your 120% of making it never leave the vechile ) to a station or civilisation....example.....early morning or at sunup...
    Sundowner likes this.
  5. PilbaraWanderer

PilbaraWanderer Pilbara Cruising

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the heads up on the SA cops warin....l suppose every states diffrent l can only vouch for up this way Pilbara n Kimberlys
  6. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Theres no need to check the air in your tyres at every new road surface and theres no need to take jackets off and eat every half hour. God I'm impatient on rides lol
  7. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    much wisdom here, there is.
  8. Checkmate3

Checkmate3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the Cairns Post,
    One little cigarette lighter....works at night too.

Julatten brothers, 16 and 9, among riders rescued from “Death Valley”

THIRSTY and hungry, a group of trail bike riders lost in Far North Queensland’s own “Death Valley” desperately searched the area for water before trying to sleep through the ordeal.

Sixteen-year-old Tomas Mischke and his younger brother Joe, 9, were with family friends when they set out on a planned ride at Black Mountain near Julatten, around 110km northwest of Cairns, on Saturday.

The siblings are fairly experienced riders and familiar with the area, but a wrong turn led them to a notorious bike run known as Death Valley.

The group lit a fire, which a Queensland Government Air (QGAir) helicopter rescue crew searching the area was able to detect from kilometres away using military-issue night vision goggles.

QGAir returned early Sunday and winched them to safety, transferring them to the Mt Molloy sports oval where concerned family and friends were waiting.

Pilot Troy Alder said the riders were fortunate they were able to light a fire.

“Without any light source, it would have been very difficult to locate them,” he said.

“We probably wouldn’t have found them until the next day by us flying through the valley and seeing a reflection from the bikes.

“They were under fairly thick bush coverage in quite a steep valley, it was really by chance that it was last light and they were able to light a fire we could see.
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Fire. Wasn't that discovered long before the wheel....?
  10. snarley

snarley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump...

Touring rules for the end of the day.

1. Refuel, either from town servo or fuel bladders. (Best to leave next day with full tank)
    2. Find camp/room. Set up tent etc.
    3. Bike maintenance. Lube warm chain, check tyres, oil and water, general visual inspection of rest of bike.
    4. Collect firewood BEFORE dark.
    4. Sort yourself out, change, wash/shower/ wet ones or not !
    5. Organise dinner, camp feed or pub meal.

Look after your bike first then you second. Better to do it at the end of the day knowing your sorted when you leave the following morning.
  11. wi11iamson

wi11iamson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touring rules - for my style of touring:
    1. Select destination on availability of hotel room and township bakery - call hotel and book room (this can be anything from 8 hours to 8 days ahead), mobile coverage in AUS is more than adequate, prepare to be flexible.
    2. Arrive destination, check into hotel - consume at least one schooner whilst checking-in - if in NSW and Tooheys Dark Old is on-tap, perhaps two schooners.
    3. Check into room, freshen-up, return to bar.
    4. If AFL footy season in NSW or QLD, ask publican to switch TV to AFL telecast, prepare to be disappointed.
    5. More schooners, order meal, more schooners, eat meal, more schooners.
    6. Sleep well, awake refreshed and prepare to leave.
    7. Find bakery.
    8. Refuel at morning-tea, perhaps lunch - the ST1300 has a 450km - 500km range so there should be plenty of fuel from yesterday's top-up.
    9. When you return to base, post some details of pub stay and bakery in appropriate thread.
    LeglessOne and Woody2627 like this.
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Having just read 'This is gonna hurt', I wonder if it not just me that is totally over being told what to do.
    Ron50, LeglessOne, 3legs and 3 others like this.
  13. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I concur , you can jam your rules where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned .
  14. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    in lockdown so the Q IS

whats touring :hide
    wi11iamson likes this.
  15. wi11iamson

wi11iamson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FMD - fixed as I don't want to upset any of the cupcakes who seem intent on getting upset and look for any flimsy reason to be outraged at an attempt of humour.
    braaap! and LeglessOne like this.
  16. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel at every opportunity when beyond the beyond....always allow for extra usage than planned.....make sure your fuel filter works pre carb y etc..... Fuel quality varies as do moisture levels in fuels
    braaap! likes this.
  17. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

No outrage. No issue.
    Just a general comment about the state of the place, at the moment.

On 'rules' however, I also expect I'm not the only one that gave up on groups like Ulysses because of all their extra rules.
    Don't think me any anarchist, I'm far too pedantic for that, just there are plenty enough rules to make me enjoy the suck it and see attitude.
  18. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you laugh out loud inside your helmet at least a few times a day.
    Boxa, buckscreek, LeglessOne and 4 others like this.
  19. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    As tony who i think now is in carnarvon, had in his sig line
    The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire
    BergDonk, tripodtiger, Russ and 2 others like this.
  20. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    During our RTW trip there were a few occasions when things got a bit humourless, so I resolved to make MrsP laugh out loud by 09.00am every day.
    That was more than four years ago. I still do.