Tourniquet carry while riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DMack_762, May 15, 2019.

1. DMack_762

DMack_762 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a Google Search for "Carrying a tourniquet while riding a motorcycle ADVRider" I had no pointed results, so I figured I'd start a thread and ask.

I am a commuter, and I started a thread about daily commuting gear and had some very good interaction and advice. However, when I got to work today, I was shown a video of a guy riding a sport bike, who swerved off camera (the camera was at a gas station and had a fixed vantage point). All you can see is the rider hit a street sign at speed, which took his left leg clean off above the knee. The rider was wearing full racing leathers (jacket with speed hump and pants), Helmet, gloves, boots, but the street sign peeled his pants off to below his knees. Traumatic amputation of his left leg, above the knee, HUGE avulsion on his right quad... he immediately started bleeding out.

A bystander ran over, took off his trouser belt and did a make shift tourniquet which saved the riders life.

This got me thinking. I carry an emergency IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) in my top box, but I don't carry any tourniquets on my person when I ride. As we all know, most get offs will separate the rider from the bike, so I'm curious... does anyone carry TQ's on their person when they ride? I wear the Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants, also a Helite Turtle Vest (airbag). I can't carry the TQ's clipped to my vest, for it will inflate if I am thrown from my bike.

As always, I try to mitigate my risk as a rider, definitely as a daily commuter. If I happen on an accident, I am a TCCC certified first responder, so I can definitely give aid to the injured. But, self aid is another story if I am off my bike, and still conscious.

Morbid topic but I feel it's worth some discussion. Would love to hear what people are doing on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Darren
    9Realms and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Yep
    1 in the man-purse....M-Urse
    1 in the tankbag. Quickdraw.
    Been using it at work and civil. Works the same.

Afghanistan told me(or the IED´s)that TQ makes sense. It just works, even if you are not good at it.
  3. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry one in my kit and also an Israeli bandage.
  4. DMack_762

DMack_762 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did 'Stan three times, Iraq three times. I've also used them real time... I'm tossing up ideas on where to carry them ON me, in case I am ejected from my bike. Sliding, also tends to get rid on things attached... as I come up with solutions, I will insert my ideas here. Thank you for your Service Brother!
    SmittyBlackstone and LocuL like this.
  5. Smaug1

Smaug1 '16 Bandit 1250S, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    How about just use your belt, then? Maybe a thin, light nylon belt and just carry a small stick on your person somewhere.
    kojack06, Daboo and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. DMack_762

DMack_762 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride with boxers under my Klim Badlands Pro pants... no belt. I carry a change of clothes in my panniers, or leave them at work. I have several CAT TQs, just trying to see what others are doing.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carry it on yourself, not the bike. And make sure it’s somewhere that’s accessible with both hands. One or the other may become useless, or god forbid both. Front cargo pocket if you have an ADV type jacket.

Always apply it up at the joint, not just above the wound. If it’s an arm put it up at the armpit. Leg, up at the crotch.
    kojack06 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you ride a KLR, you probably have more than a couple of bungee cords? Actually, great topic. Good catch. A proper TQ takes up zero space in a kit. I’ll be adding one. Thanks.
    Just an added note while we’re on the topic of bleeds and arteries, when applying direct pressure to a wound, a credit card works wonders. Even seals around the card edges.
    Smaug1 and kojack06 like this.
  9. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Never thought of this before but I guess I'd whip a ROKstrap out and use it.
  10. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone with experience explain proper use of a tourniquet or paste a link. I seem to remember it takes some training on how tight to make it and how long to keep it on etc.

Also if you are in need of one, is it realistic that you will be able to put it on yourself? You will probably be in shock, have other injuries, and may or may not be conscious.
  11. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    Make it as tight as you can. When you wind the windlass, it should be so tight it’s painful.

You can leave them on for a few hours without any damage to extremities.

I’m trained in the combat casualty care. They teach all the way up on the armpit or crotch in case you miss any wounds that aren’t obvious.

An ER doc might tell you to go just above the wound but they also have the advantage of being able to clean blood off and getting a better look.

Look up TCCC tourniquet applications. Those would be the most practical for ‘field work’. And use a CAT tourniquet.
  12. Hollywood D

Oddometer:

13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two detractors come to mind.

One is you doing it. If you've crashed hard enough to need it, I doubt you're going to be well able to apply it to yourself. Not saying impossible, just darn difficult when severely traumatized.

Second is someone else doing it. The likelihood of a typical bystander being able to apply a tourniquet is thin. The less obvious the tourniquet is, the ever less likely of them finding it or using it.

To that end, the likes of a basic belt might in fact be your best tool to carry. People can see it and can grasp how to use a belt without any training or instruction reading. You may also want to carry some sort of stick for them to use. Lots of folk won't be able to achieve adequate tension without something like that to twist with. With a belt, you can perhaps get a bystander to achieve some degree of tourniquet success, with only vague and semi-incoherent instructions from you.
    JR356 likes this.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    AF medic training in Chicago in trauma care as I write this. Been to Iraq twice and have all kinds of trainings including of course, the CAT and hemorrhage control. IMO the likelihood of ever needing a CAT while riding is extremely slim. You're much more likely to have blunt force trauma and need splinting items and blah, blah, blah than a CAT. Granted, it doesn't take up a lot of space or weight but I don't think it's necessary and choose not to. I do carry one in the car however since it was free.

Flame suit is on. Fire away.
  15. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    More than likely, that won't work as a tourniquet.
  16. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    You can leave them on a lot longer than a few hours. However, on the mc and even out in the boonies on the mc, you're likely to get help within an hour or two at the most in 99% of the US so a rather moot point.
  17. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I would mostly agree with this.
  18. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my day pack at all times. Wilderness First Aid guy. I actually would recommend that anybody who does lots of back country travel consider taking a WFA course.

As for being able to use a tourniquet on yourself, depends on the extent of the injury and how quickly shock sets in. An arterial tear, you may have a couple of minutes if you are conscious. Amputation of a limb, you wouldn't have a chance of applying it yourself.

I carry one for use on somebody else.
    Smoke Eater 3 likes this.
  19. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    I have a RATS and a CATS style in my truck, motorcycle bag and my range bag.
  20. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first aid kit is pretty much for other people.
    kottomack likes this.