Toyhauler build fiasco....now with more fiasco.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Cbody, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Cbody

Cbody pretentious redneck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to attempt to go against my nature and actually document an ongoing project. You'll be witness to what will appear in all likelihood to be a catastrophe in the making.

An engineer by trade with an unlimited budget is not what I am, this will be a wing-and-a-prayer type operation that will likely make the talented and OCD among you cringe.

I've been wanting to put together something to haul bikes around with, something to make the 400 mile trek to more interesting bits of the country more comfortable when it's 40 degrees and raining. I've been poking away at a '95 International school bus for a couple years in fits and spurts making little to no headway. It seemed ideal with a mechanical P-pump DT466 and manual transmission and I'd even conned my better half into lending a hand.
    [​IMG]

Alas, as quite a few of my plans are wont to do, a bit of a distraction came upon me in the form of a sale bill from one of my Dad's friends. He was buying a bucket from me for his Gradall that he was listing on a neighbors auction. I dropped the bucket off at his place and he mentioned he was putting quite a few pieces of equipment and trucks on the auction, one of which was a 2001 International that he'd started working on in 2013.

He'd showed me the truck back when he started on it so I had a rough idea what it was and when the day came I bid like a fool and gave way too much for an old truck that needed a lot of work to make what I want. As per usual, I didn't think to take a single picture the day of until at the truck stop on the way home.
    [​IMG]
    A crappier photo you'd be hard pressed to recreate. The next day I made amends and at least managed to snap a shot during daylight and slightly less shaky.
    [​IMG]
    He'd intended to haul cars in it, and had covered the interior with diamond plate along with a half finished toilet and shower.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And so begins what I optimistically suspect will be a 2 year build.
  2. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Great start.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. klp

klp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah this looks cool! Tons of space in there.

Do you need to keep the smaller rear tires or can you ditch them? They may give you better traction too? Those things have always confused me.

:hmmmmm
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Someone pass the salt

This is gonna be 'good.'

M
  5. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "A catastrophe in the making" - I like you're style! Good luck!
    FJ Fun likes this.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    In...

so what happened to the bus.
  7. Cbody

Oddometer:
    The smaller rear tires are on what's called a "tag axle" and they're not driven. This one in particular is an air tag, and it's only deployed when you need the extra weight carrying capacity. Hopefully this photo will be a better description than what I can muster.

[​IMG]

You can see from the picture that I've already had to replace one of the air bags. The mate to it is patiently waiting for my "spare time" so I can install it.

I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go yet. I don't need the tag, but I plan on de-cobbling the frame stretch at some point and ideally I'd like to add a wheel lift to haul a car down the road. If that comes to fruition then the tag would actually be useful.

For now I'm going to keep it for two reasons. One, it's a handy place to store a spare tire if that need should arise, and Two, in a pinch I can use it as a jack to raise the rear axle by dumping the air in the drive axle and lifting with the tag.
  8. Cbody

Oddometer:
    It's been shoved aside where it mocks me in a sullen effort to make me feel guilty for abandoning it.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what lies in store for it. It's already tagged as an RV, but the 466 is worth too much to just let set so we'll try and make use of it one way or another.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  9. Cbody

Oddometer:
    So, a fresh day dawns and I take stock of my newest albatross. It's a 2001 so it was originally an electronic engine, but when our buddy bought it, it was an OTR truck with a blown engine. He picked up a county truck with a replacement 8.3 C series cummins. A super low mile mechanical engine with the P pump and a 10 speed transmission. The engine has A/C so that's a huge bonus. I'm going to need to do a little tidying up electrically and the lower radiator hose doesn't inspire confidence but otherwise is essentially ready to roll.........once I add cruise control that is.

I'm also going to have to address the gauge cluster since it's electronic and neither the engine or transmission is now. I've got a few older IHC cabs that I can snag the clusters from, but I'm not sure if I'll go that route or just make one out of a blank sheet of aluminum. The cheap-o set of gauges in it now are not what I'd consider long term solutions.
    [​IMG]
  10. Cbody

Oddometer:
    Some more good news.
    [​IMG]

A Cat (perkins) frame mounted generator/A/C/heating unit for the sleeper. It's got a remote thermostat and starter system in the sleeper and it makes cold and hot air currently. Hopefully I can utilize it for the box as well. It's a wee bit noisy but the cover isn't setting tight so I'll seal it back up and give it a go. If I can make it work it'll be a hell of a nice setup for boondocking. I'm hoping that with the diamondplate removed and the box fitted with a few more sound absorbing materials it'll be a little more tolerable.

[​IMG]
  11. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I'd cut the tag axle out and lower the max gross weight below 26,000 or you'll need a CDL to drive it and have to go the all commercial truck check points .
  12. Cbody

Oddometer:
    Won't matter on this. It has Air brakes, which automatically stick me in the CDL catagory.

Unless it's an RV.
    Which this will be........

Eventually.

Hopefully.
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    this looks like it will be fun! :lurk
  14. Cbody

Oddometer:
    Time to get to work. Step one, remove the diamond plate. While I love it, it's not what I want where I'm going to be sleeping..........too much sound reflection. The plan is to pull the plate, insulate and cover with pine or something similar. I've got new laminate flooring that I'd bought for the bus so I'll find something that looks decent with it.

Or I should say that was the plan.................

[​IMG]

As it turns out, the walls are already covered with 1/2" plywood.

Surprise #2 ...........

[​IMG]

E-track on the walls. OK. this changes the plan a bit. I can live with plywood, just strip it off, insulate and call it good.

Of course, once I got to looking a little closer I could see insulation behind the E-track. I pulled one panel of plywood and pulled the insulation. 1" foil faced foam board and tape sealed. There's no thermal break but it still saves me a good bit of time.

Now time to pull the linoleum and diamond plate off the floor.

[​IMG]

And guess what?

[​IMG]

OK. This changes my theory of the floor. I can't cover this up with fake wood flooring. It would drive me nuts every time I thought about it so now I need to get the rest of the floor uncovered and see what's there.

[​IMG]

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but I was sure hoping to see some more E-track in the floor. It's no big deal but would have been nice. As it is I've got my work cut out for me, now I've got to sand and refinish..........way more time consuming than just locking in the fake stuff.

[​IMG]

Test patch done with my belt sander. I still think it'll be worth it in the end.
    JagLite and RedRocket like this.
  15. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:
    covered up Etrack with diamondplate??? What a maroon
    Carlo Muro and FJ Fun like this.
  16. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting
  17. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is possible, but if you're using a hand held belt sander to the floor, you might consider renting floor sander.
    [​IMG]

Seems like that would make darn quick work of the wood floor, and you wouldn't have to be down on your hands and knees for hours. Can't imagine it would take more than 2 hours using one of those jobbies.
    Very cool build. I've fantasized about buying some sort of old box truck and turning it into a camper/toy hauler. Maybe someday, but I don't have the time, energy or money right now. Good luck to you!
    G
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed

I did a mini build on a box truck last year and have been casually shopping for a 24-26' box truck to do a full build on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cbody likes this.
  19. eric1514

eric1514 TRUMP 2020

Oddometer:
    Somebody must want that diamond plate and it's very expensive stuff. A 2'x4' piece at Lowes is $80. Selling it should help finance your project.
    xr400r likes this.
  20. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems that you have mildew growing down there.

You should consider addressing that with bleach (oxygen bleach is less harmful than chlorine) or store bought cleaner before finishing the walls and floor.
    KeithC and SmittyBlackstone like this.