Toyo HT Truck Tires Narrow & Inefficient

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlyingDutchman, Oct 13, 2019.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a set of Toyo Open Country HT tires for my Tundra and noticed they looked small, regardless of the proper spec P275/65r18.

Next to my father's base GM p/u with P255/75r17 Goodyears, they still looked smaller.

Got out a measuring tape, the Toyos measure 210mm wide on the tread, and the Goodyears measure 220mm wide.

Why are the Toyos narrower?

And the fuel consumption is higher than the stock BFG Rugged Trail.
  2. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. dwarmker

dwarmker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's not correct, 275 should be the width of the tread in mm. The next number, 65, is the height of the tire from the rim to the top of the tread, expressed as a percentage of the width. So the height would be 65% of the 275mm dimension. At least that's how I've always understood it... I couldn't get your link to load so still need to verify.

:Edit: So the link finally loaded, I stand corrected. That makes sense now, section width could vary depending on the width of the rim since it's the measurement from sidewall to sidewall instead of just tread. Learn something new everyday!
    Stasher1 likes this.
  4. Stasher1

Oddometer:
    dwarmker likes this.
  5. dwarmker

dwarmker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I edited my original post to reflect you are indeed correct!
  6. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    The listed sizes of tires are basically guidelines for the manufacturers, and are not set in stone. For years you could count on Michelins being tall and narrow, and Goodyears short and squat. The differences in the LT235/85R16 LRE's was, depending on with model tire, as much an inch in height and 3/4" in width.

Did you buy 10-ply tires for your truck?
  7. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    I guess I am suggesting Toyo just stamps P275/65R18 on P215/85R18...
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    "you could count on" is confusing. Tires are made to size standards no matter what brand. The OP's size is the same OE size as my F-150 and what I just put on the truck. They are Michelins and the OE tires are variable on that truck, some Michelins, some Goodyears, etc.. My GY's lasted into 62,000 and have enough tread that I have them for sale at a local consignment shop. I owned 4 new Tundras and all had 18" tires- various brands.
    The size is what it is. Toyo doesn't have that liberty to play with sizes!!! maybe you don't like them or whatever else but sizes are standardized with- in the tire industry. Load ratings vary with-in a size as do tread patterns and maybe tread compounding. My new Michelin LTX's come in maybe 4 variations that all look mostly the same.
  9. Stasher1

Oddometer:
    Toyo isn't "playing with sizes", they simply take their measurements on a set wheel size, at the sidewall. Tread width (which is apparently what the OP is upset about) is something different.

This is simply a situation of a buyer making assumptions. The information is available to anyone willing to put forth the effort to find it.
  10. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    The size of the tire is hard to question but you can’t deny that Toyo put less tread on their 275 tire than Goodyear put on 255 tire.

This will undoubtedly cause them to wear out faster and have less traction.
  11. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    The size of the contact patch is determined by two things, First is the tire pressure and the second is the vehicle weight.
    That's what determines the contact patch.
    A 195 section tire at the same pressure as a 225 tire will have the same sized patch if the weight is the same on both, but the 195 will have a longer narrower patch and the 225 a shorter wider patch.

This is why people let their tires down on soft ground/Sand to elongate the contact patch and allow more traction to the ground.
  12. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The "P" in the OP's original question indicates he did not.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reading comprehension at work tends to be hit-n-miss sometimes.
  14. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    Sorry Bigger Al,
    I edited in the P in response to the LT question. Your reading comp was fine.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  15. FlyingDutchman

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, l am concerned that l bought tires that, l assumed, made little compromise but l am concerned about the amount of tread as measured in width on my properly selected tires by spec.

l feel these tires don’t provide as much traction or contact patch as an identical spec tire with wider tread. P tires are rectangular in cross-sectional view, not round like a motorcycle. Theres no tread on the side of a car tire. My abs has engaged several times in braking situations that it did not with the previous tires, OEM BFG

They do run quieter and smoother but fuel efficiency has decreased about a litre per100km. Maybe l am driving it harder with less noise?

l am sure l will adjust but it is not information that is readily available, and l assumed there was an industry standard of how wide the tread is on a P275 tire.
  16. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    i hope they’re better than toyo big truck tires. i went 150k mi on bf goodrich steer tires. replaced them with toyos. 30k mi they were shaking so bad i had them replaced. this happened with all 10 of our trucks

not a toyo fan
    Motomantra likes this.
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Work with tyres all day and you'll see this often. I once queried this about 20 years ago when I noticed some manufacturers tyres were more narrow than others, and was told as above. I have never noticed any difference in traction or wear.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  18. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may well be a lousy tire for you, regardless of size. Not all tires are great.

Many of the reviews of the tire go on about their long life. That's not actually conducive to performance in handling or traction. Hard compound tires wear well, but don't perform well, as a general statement.
  19. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Correct, we call those NOMINAL dimensions.