Toys for tots in foreign countries

Discussion in 'Americas' started by VelvtRide, Nov 17, 2007.

1. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    When LR and I go to Mex, I want to bring toys/stuff for boys and girls in the small towns we'll be stopping at.

I've got some brightly colored Mardi Gras beads for the girls, but what would you recommend for the little men?

I'm looking for small items that are easy to pack and don't cost much so I can take load up.

Please post your thoughts.... TIA.
  2. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pencils are ALWAYS good.

(It's great fun to watch them start poking each other with them...:razor)

Stickers and stuff are good too. Try looking at a party supply store - just make sure it packs small. You DON'T want to run out in the middle of a border crossing!
  3. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    I guess then only half of us would be getting through, eh? :lol3

Thanks for the ideas, John! :thumb
  4. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boys always love stickers! And there easy to pack and bring along.

The little tootsie rolls and lollipops are also great to take along, and go over great. Again, there easy to pack, and each day I stuff my pockets full so I can access them easily at each stop.

When I go down on a non-bike vacation, I usually take along one extra suticase with bandaids, medical supplies plus some small toys (little balls, super putty, etc) and stop by an orphanage to drop them off. There always extremely happy and surprised.

Enjoy your trip!!!
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heidi,

Last month in Mexico I took "lollipops" as well. I found that anything I had was appreciated, but the classic "tootsie pops" were the biggest hit I ever took along. Kids always lined up, even the shy ones. Getting more down there seemed to be easy. I went through several big bags.

Like G-Man said, keep them really handy and have lots on hand. I kept mine at the top of one of my side cases. For small groups of kids, I usually gave out two to a kid. They acted as icebreakers, as I usually asked the kids their names and how old they were. More often than not, they would ask questions back, like where I was from and where I was going. In just a few seconds its smiles and high fives all around.

Even the troops at the checkpoints appreciated them. So I started to give them even to the Pemex guys. Never had anybody turn them down.

I think we all find out early on that in Mexico (and elsewhere) that it is the act of engagement that makes the trips worthwhile.

Have fun down there...as I know you and Bob will.

Bob :jose
  6. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Stickers!!! I've got a ton of them - perfect! :clap

This is great info! :thumb

My mom gave me some good info, too. To becareful handing them out when there's a big crowd around - the little ones seem to multiple by the second and I'll end up with nothing left. :lol3
  7. Damir

Damir AKA Pudla

Oddometer:
    Pens and stickers worked for us in Tunisia. You got link to my Tunisia RR in signature, there are few comments about pens.
  8. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

Might want to leave the "fyyff" stickers at home.:D Or tell the kiddos it means, "for you, you friendly friend".