TPMS light giving me fits!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mtrdrms, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The light comes on mostly for the rear tire but sometimes the both. It just shows lines with no psi. Can someone tell me if the battery is replaceable in my pressure monitoring units? I have a 2007gs.

Thanks!
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The battery is not replacable. They are usually good for about 5 years. The fix is usually a new unit.

Jim :brow
  3. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Govna Racepipe

Oddometer:
  4. ed9j

ed9j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's possible to fix the units. Here are pictures of the units with the resin cleared clearly showing the $5's woth of batteries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb

What did you reseal it with, and what is the battery number?

Jim :brow
  6. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can we get a pictorial on how you do that? Those things are around 140 and that might save a lot of people a lot of money.
    I wouldn't trust a used one or one from ebay.
    If you do replace them, do they work as is, or does the computer have to be sync'ed onto the new unit?
    dc
  7. ed9j

ed9j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont have the battery specs. the old batteries are in the trash. But I can help with resealing it. I've used a special kind of epoxy. After a lot of deliberation and some reseach I've used a epoxy that remains some what flexible (compared to other epoxies) after curing. Regular epoxies tend to become very hard used without a filler material susceptible to cracking under vibration. The one I've used was git-rot that I've purchased from West Marine. I live in Turkey and didn't find a lot of options.Opening the unit is no big deal. If you show the material that you've cleared to someone with knowledge in composites, he clearly can recommend you something. Worst case use git-rot. It can be found everywhere.
  8. ed9j

ed9j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the units worked flawlessly. I didn't ride the bike during the repair.so the computer didn't record a error code.
  9. BasarGuven

BasarGuven n00b

Oddometer:
    Successful battery change reporting... My TPM has resurrected, goodbye yellow warning.
    It is standard CMOS battery that computers use. You can find it under code CR2032.

Remove the wheel, mark the direction unit was mounted, Heat the black goo a little carv it off starting from center of the goo.

Stick a tiny screwdriver between the battery and the metal connector. Lift the battery gently a little, do the same for the negative metal. Solder the new battery. Close up with a heated glue gun. Take care to solder the battery really well to the metals.

Your rdc will come back when you hit 30kmh or gs911 reset of errors.
    wildwestrider likes this.
  10. enkil

enkil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate :clap
  11. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Govna Racepipe

Oddometer:
    What about the rubber seal to the wheel? Did it need replacing, or did you do Part # 36 31 8 520 871 (2 in the image)

[​IMG]
  12. J.B

J.B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for this. My service dept. quoted me 480 aussie to supply and fit..It only took a couple of hours to replace both front and rear sensor batterys and the fault went away after a couple of miles :)
    bikeroz likes this.
  13. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I've added this information to the GSpot FAQ (3.50)
    Thank you!

[TaSK]
  14. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced batts in several TPMS units for 4 wheeled vehicles and they are still working after 4 years ... $$$ saved.
  15. mtrdrms

mtrdrms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did mine last week. Took a few days for them to start working, but they are perfect now.
  16. UAS

UAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard it mostly works but not always. Even if you totally fubar them getting the battery out and have to buy new, may as well give it a shot. The only thing you're out is time and a bit of epoxy. The GS-911 can re-pair the old or pair new, if necessary.
  17. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Govna Racepipe

Oddometer:
    I did mine recently when I changed out my tires but I haven't had them come back, it was 6-8 months from death of battery to replacement. Do I need to get them re-paired to the bike itself?
  18. UAS

UAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the bike forgets, but I am not sure. The re-pair sensor to the bike would come in to play if you mixed up front and rear.
  19. Kdawg

Kdawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the advice here and bought my R12GS with the yellow light on and the rear tyre only occasionally showing the pressure. I bit the bullet and had the TPMSs removed for a look see.

The hardest part is the removal of the tabs, particularly the bottom one. You can drill out the welds on the top one carefully but the bottom one on both of my units broke free. Initially I figured it was a lost cause but scraping around a bit further in the corner I found what I thought was the contact. I used some small desoldering braid being careful to insulate to the PCB and NOT touch the upper surface of the battery, which incidentally wraps around the sides also on a CR2032. :eek1

Apparently Digi-key does sell CR2032s with tabs on them. Although with baking solution you can tack a solder blob pretty quickly.

The sensor codes are kept by the sensor which sits above the rear mud/splash guard. I reset codes on the GS911 and after a few key cycles and some anxious waiting it all came good. See pics below :freaky

Attached Files:

20. Kdawg

Kdawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This picture shows the solder braid used to bring the contact from the side of the TPMS to the battery centre. Note the need to insulate to the PCB below.

Attached Files: