TPMS Reading on TFT

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by alijanah, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All !

I'm on the 2018 R1200GS Adventure with the new TFT and when I checked the TPMS reading on my tyres, its always on the low side compared to my trusty hand pump. My reference is my hand pump with a gauge. Now, it could be my hand pump gauge that could be wrong. I'm wondering what other similar owners experience with the reading on the TFT TPMS.

Thanks.
  2. huck629

huck629 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My TFT display disagreed with my hand held tire gage and the gage on the air pump I use in my garage by about 2 or 3 psi. I used a GS911 to adjust the TPMS on the bike to agree with my gages just to make my life a little less confusing.

I really don't know which reading was actually accurate. You can get into a lot of guessing games regarding the relative uncertainties of the measuring instruments involved but in this case I just wanted them to agree.
  3. greg.279

greg.279 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tft also reads several pounds lower than tire gauges.
  4. toolfooldan

toolfooldan Need a witty/profound phrase to put here...

Oddometer:
    Yep, me too. Both front and back are consistently off by 4 to 5 lbs. When I bought the bike the dealership salesdude told me not to use the TFT for pressure accuracy, but use TFT to monitor for pressure loss while riding.
    Candubrain likes this.
  5. Bentspokes

Bentspokes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep I concur
    Never really noticed it til you stare at it for 10 hours on a long trip
    On my ole ktm I could adjust it to match my trusty gauge
    Anyway to do it on a 1250 gsa?
  6. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TPMS reading on the TFT is based on a temperature compensation which is probably why it's off. For me the TPMS reads higher than what my pressure gauge (accugauge with a dial) shows.

From the manual:

Temperature compensation
    The tire inflation pressure is temperature dependent, i.e. it increases or decreases together with the tire air temperature. The tire temperature is dependent on the outside temperature, the riding style and the length of the journey. The tire pressures are shown in the TFT display with temperature compensation and are always based on the following tire air temperature: 68 °F (20 °C) Tire pressure gages at gas stations do not make any adjustment for the air temperature, the tire pressure indicated depends on the temperature of the air in the tire. As a result, in most cases the values displayed there do not match the values shown in the TFT display.

Tire pressure adjustment

Compare the TPC/RDC value in the TFT display with the value on the back cover of the operating instructions. The difference between the two values must be compensated with the tire inflation pressure tester at the filling station.

Example
    According to the rider's manual, the tire pressure should have the following value: 36.3 psi (2.5 bar)

The following value is displayed in the TFT display: 33.4 psi (2.3 bar)

Missing is thus: 2.9 psi (0.2 bar)

The tester at the filling station shows: 34.8 psi (2.4 bar) To produce the correct tire pressure, this must be increased to the following value: 37.7 psi (2.6 bar)
  7. huck629

huck629 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can use a GS-911 to adjust the TPM