Track School Advice

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ganze, Jul 18, 2019.

1. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rustic Crossroads
    9516 East U.S. Highway 377, Cresson, TX 76035 Directions
    Today 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM All Hours
    +18175124434
    View Website
    Escape the stresses of your day with back-to-back beauty treatments from Rustic Crossroads in Cresson, TX a full-service salon. This salon offers hair care for men, women and children of all ages.
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Are you too far to ride to the track?
  3. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
    If you're looking at the early Sept. Ride Smart days at Cresson, I would choose the 1.7 CCW event. The 1.7 track is much easier to ride, has better run off room and is more big bike friendly. I've raced at that track and I would not ride anything above a 500 on the 1.3 mile course.

I may be there for that event. There's been some good advice in this thread. You'll be just fine in Level 1.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    A motorcycle trailer from UHaul costs $15 a day.
    dirty_t and Dtx915 like this.
  5. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing another track day sunday ! We are on track then in class all day and those who go to class get fast. The instructors will let you know when it's time to bump up. I have a short track/ice and MXGP race background so up close to another rider is not a big deal so they moved me rather quick. Well that and the 9 bikes I went buy on the front stretch at 120+.
    Good street tires are fine so just ask for air pressure starting point. I would rather get good brake pads before tires like HH pads as you stock pads will get hot fast but they will still be safe.
    For a suit try EBay or Craigslist and the for sale part of this site as well as facebook marketplace my backup was 100$. Your helmet is more important as mine must be Snell rated under 5 years old, check with who runs your track day.
    New guys over think track days so just relax and go with the flow,so learn to listen and listen to learn. No reason to toss the bike if you do what your asked. I have seen guys screw up a parade lap by passing the instructors or not shuffling back.
    Our track day has a facebook page so if you need to buddy up and share a ride we just ask, track guys are great people and really helpful.
    I am on my second year on dunlop Q3+ with 6 events each year.

https://www.tonystrackdays.com/
  6. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    there you go.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  7. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do not ride to the track. It is possible. Something being possible is not the same thing as it being a good idea.

U-Haul is a good idea.
    High Country Herb and AwDang like this.
  8. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    So much that!
    You’ll be exhausted at the end pf the day. Quiet, AC and not crashing on the way home are priority.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  9. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you are here in Texas, another great option is TMGP.
    Smaller bikes, less cost, all of the fun.
    The first season we did it, we threw street tires on a kids dirt bike we picked up for 800 bucks and I used a 100 dollar used suit. A four hour endurance race costs a bit over 100 bucks. About the same for a full day of sprint races.
    This year we are running a spec class Grom (stock motor, upgraded suspension)
    All of the skills you learn on the formula 6, formula 7, Grom, ect translate up to the big bikes. Even more so since the wheel base is smaller, so smaller movements make a bigger difference. It really teaches you to be smooth. That is why a lot of the pro’s use minis for training. There are a couple of the Moto America guys that have come out there.
    Nicky Hayden used to race in TMGP when he was younger. You can also look up the vr46 guys with mini motos and see some of the practice days they do on them.
    You could look up the sandlot on Facebook. They will occasionally have practice days.
    dietDrThunder likes this.
  10. Jim Moore

Oddometer:
    Meh. I did it a lot before I got my full-on sportbike. People looked at me like I was from outer space, but it was still fun. Even riding home was fun.
  11. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    When I was instructing for STT, we had a guy do it several times, Then one day a rider behind him made a mistake and knocked him down, rendering the bike inoperable. This was around 2:30pm on a Sunday in rural Alabama. He had AAA that covered bikes, but had no way to get himself home several hours away, and there wasn't anyone going his way that could help. So, he got dropped off in town at a hotel, and was stranded there until he was able to get someone to come for him after work on Monday. None of this was that fun with 2 broken toes.

I would submit that renting a U-Haul for $12 is better.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  12. Jim Moore

Oddometer:
    I much prefer having a trailer, but it can certainly be done the other way.
  13. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    In the words of the great Chris Rock, "You can do all sorts of sh#t. You can drive a car with your feet if you want to; that don't make it a good f@#kin' idea!"

:)
    AwDang and Jim Moore like this.
  14. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not that you can't keep from tossing your shit it's getting caught up in someone else's
  15. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    AwDang and Jim Moore like this.
  16. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    From a Bennetts article on-line, seems like a great idea:

Enter road bike only track days, the idea of Tim Thompson, former Editor of Bike Magazine and first run in 2010. They were a sell-out from the start. They still run today but the organisation has been taken over by Bike’s original partner, Motor Sport Vision, which owns Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Bedford Autodrome.

The rules are simple. Bikes must be road legal. Slicks are not allowed, nor are tyre warmers. While vans and trailers are not banned, they are discouraged.

I tried a road bike only track day at Oulton Park last month with my Suzuki GSXR750 to see how much of a difference there was. I used to spend a day before an ordinary track day changing the bodywork, fitting spare wheels with race rubber, loading the car up with spare wheels and wets, tools and stands. I had to spend another day afterwards putting it back into road trim. What a faff.

At Oulton, I rode to the track, enjoyed eight sessions around one of the UK’s most demanding circuits, said my goodbyes to people I’d met then rode off again. Zero hassle. The atmosphere was relaxed, the staff were friendly and helpful. There were three groups, two for novices and one for a mixture of intermediate and advanced. MSV varies the groups depending on demand. The biggest difference was the level of respect shown by riders to each other. Outbraking manoeuvres were carried out safely with no last minute lunges up the inside of corners. I only suffered one stupid overtake, and sniggered when the perp ran hopelessly wide at the next corner.
    VX Rider likes this.
  17. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

I can imagine the difference in attitude IF one knows they need to be able to ride home at the end of the day.
    Much like 'real' road riding, the goal being to go back home after the ride.
  18. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    If you can rent a uhaul trailer beforehand, you can also rent a uhaul truck if you happen to crash or suffer a mechanical.

I used to ride to the tracks nearest my house, set up camp, go racing, hit the sack, race again Sunday and ride back home. Slightly less convenient than having my van and trailer, but also a lot cheaper than buying a van and trailer.

One guy I used to know just bought old ambulances at auction. The bikes fit inside, he had a cot, and they can be had for $2-3k.
  19. C/1/509

Oddometer:
    What did you decide to do?
  20. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Actually no, you can't. There was no rental place open on Sunday afternoon in rural AL. We tried and the closest we could get was Birmingham, but we couldn't make it there before the place closed.

Again, 'possible' and 'optimal' are not remotely the same thing.