Trackday Barbie goes to WSR IXV at Deals Gap

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TrackdayBarbie, May 10, 2020.

1. TrackdayBarbie

TrackdayBarbie longtime lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK here goes... I've enjoyed so many RR's on this site, it's time to find the courage to post up one of my own. Selfishly, sharing a great trip is as close as you can get to reliving the experience. And if reading it sparks someone else to get out there, that's even better.

So, a tiny bit of backstory. I was introduced to WNC five years ago and it left a mark. The roads, the mountains, the riding life (eat, sleep, ride, repeat). It draws me back every year.

At first I was so preoccupied with my own skill level (or lack thereof) that I didn't notice there weren't a lot of other women on sportbikes. I mean, in Maine, where I live, I accept there aren't many of us. But at a place like Deals Gap -- well if they're not there, where the heck are they?!! Now I'd heard of the Women's Sportbike Rally, but the September date always conflicted with another annual event on my calendar. Suddenly in 2019 the conflict was gone. No matter that I had spent a week at the Gap in June... I had just been handed a very good excuse to return ;-)

MONDAY 9/2/19
    Since no one in their right mind is on the road over Labor Day weekend, I got packed and ready to roll out on Tuesday morning. My Ducati 848 was wearing a new set of Michelin RS's that I'd scrubbed in on my commute a few days earlier. Only a few tufts of white sticker paper remained. Here she is, loaded up the night before. Many thanks to my parents for the use of their van. I have a habit of making fun of it, but you sure can fit a lot of sh#t in those things.

upload_2020-5-10_18-37-39.png
    Yes, my bike is on the right side because it's easier for me to walk next to it that way. I don't think a single 400# bike on the right side of trailer is as noticeable as putting a single 1200# horse on the right side of a trailer, yet felt strangely compelled to explain myself. And now that I've mentioned horses, the Oliver should make sense.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    vroom vroom
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:drink
  4. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    TUESDAY 9/3/19

Of course I can't launch to save my soul. My estimation of the distance to Scott's house and Siri's actual/accurate directions were miiiiles apart. I arrive an hour later than planned. I like to think I live in the sticks, but I'm ten minutes from the interstate. Scott, on the other hand, lives in. the. sticks.

He loads his bike and thankfully re-secures mine.

upload_2020-5-10_19-26-23.png

Yes that's another 848. Wearing her stunning CF bodywork, you'd never guess the red bike has nearly 100k on the odo (60k on the original motor, second is an EVO). This bike is directly responsible for my decision to purchase an 848. And BST wheels. I had the chance to ride her over the Dragon a few times last year and then again at a track day at NHMS. SOLD!! Found my own 848 (2013 final year) about a month later.

As Scott tied down the bikes, I threw more gear into the van. His Ventura pack is a lot heavier than mine, because he brings tools. I might learn how to handle a bike, but my friends know how they work. Thank Gawd because chain maintenance and tire pressure are the extent of my ability at the moment. Anyway, quick stop for gas and trip food and we were off. Dinner would be at the Cracker Barrel of our choice, somewhere along I81 in Virginia.
    klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  5. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good so far, I'm in.
  6. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    WEDNESDAY 9/4/19

1175 miles later we arrive in Robbinsville, late afternoon.

upload_2020-5-10_20-8-37.png

Scott never quite got used to seeing his bike on a trailer, or winding through the mountain passes on four wheels. He's the Ride Everywhere kind -- which not only means to the Gap, but the Gap by way of Indy for MotoGP, or riding from Maine to Austin. In April.

upload_2020-5-10_20-13-26.png

We hit the hotel at 5, briskly unloaded the bikes and luggage, checked in, and returned to the parking lot to finish gearing up. Popped some tunes in my ear, took the short route (129) up to Deals Gap and here we are at the Overlook around 6:30.

upload_2020-5-10_20-18-19.png

One of these days I'll park my bike facing the other way on this side of the road, to get a pic of that pretty SSSA. But it was this shot, next to Scott's bike, that made me realize I had to clean mine up by getting rid of the stock plate holder out back and the mirrors up front.

She was a dedicated track toy in her previous life. That means she came with some nice bling (full Ohlins, full Akra, 30mm triples etc) but it took some work to get her road legal. Thankfully the seller included all the bits that had come off. I had stock mirrors and a rear fender on my ZX6, rode it for five years and never thought about them... now here I am deciding they're messing with the view on my Ducati LOL
    klaviator, B10Dave, oic and 1 other person like this.
  7. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    WEDNESDAY 9/4 cont'd

Apologies for leaving you all at the Overlook, haven't found my storytelling groove yet. Also I may have underestimated the work involved in this endeavor ;-)

Leaving the Overlook -- full disclosure, this is the end of the Dragon for us, we ride between the store and the Overlook and back, sometimes all d@mn day. Rarely together because I'm not as fast as the folks I hang out with, but we catch up on the porch between runs. Sighting lap complete, Scott takes off ahead of me. There's enough light to get back and get another run in before dark. Yes those who live in the motorcycle wasteland of bad roads and a winter that lasts five months... we wring every drop out of our time here in the Smokies.

So I'm by myself on the way back to the store, when I had a bit of a scare. Met a cruiser coming around a corner with his handlebars twitching hard and wheel momentarily pointed straight across the yellow. Don't get me wrong, I've been that rider trying to muscle her bike around these roads and I've given myself a few moments but this was the first time I was scared by someone else.

I retreated to the white line and he got it together, no harm done. Unfortunately sometimes there is. It made me suddenly aware of the bond of trust that exists in the riding community. We've all been there, we'll be there again, and the only way forward is to keep working on our skills and acknowledge that for riding & riders to exist, these moments may/can/will happen. Vigilance is required.
    ejm4, klaviator, Snapper33 and 2 others like this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yes it does take some work to put together a good ride report but everyone who reads appreciates the effort. Stick around your friends to learn more about working on your own bike.
    klaviator likes this.
  10. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    And now my apologies for unintentionally posting a half-baked chapter. Ugh when noobs decide to do a ride report!

Let's see if I can get my sh#t together...

It's Wednesday night, I get in my first two runs over 129 and per usual met some cool people on the porch at DGMR. Learned a couple roads had new pavement :-) and listened to the locals scream up the road. The usual "Gap at Night" vibe. The logistics of getting here, of arranging the schedule, packing, driving have floated away. I'm not worried about work or what awaits my daughter who just started her junior year of high school. I'm relaxed and fully present. It feels fantastic. But it's closing in on 8:00 and food is becoming imperative. Time to hit Tapoco!

upload_2020-5-11_11-18-46.jpeg

upload_2020-5-11_11-20-0.png

I love this place. Excellent food, incredible location with the river tumbling past. Cool history. Most importantly, you can walk in wearing gear and helmet hair and no one looks at you twice. We take a table on the patio and watch the fireflies come out. Then get treated to a C130 flyover.

Scott and I have a 4-year acquaintance but he admitted yesterday that I'm in his phone simply as "Chainsaw Barbie" for the sound made by my stubby-piped Kawi 636. You know your bike is loud when a guy on a Ducati can hear it lol. Anyway, the appearance of the C130 invoked the story of the F-15's on the BRP -- a story that I hadn't heard yet, either from Scott or Stuart, whom I'd known longer (he was due to join us in a couple days). It's weird trying to tell a tale secondhand, but long story short, our heroes were cracking along the Blue Ridge on their red Ducati superbikes and nearly get blown off the mountain by a sonic boom. Scott says at one point he's looking DOWN at one of the jets. That's not even the best part. The best part is the jets hit them at each of the next 3 passes. Now that's a game of tag. Good thing I wasn't along for that one because I probably would have crapped my pants.

I can't end the day without mentioning the fare at Tapoco. Grilled trout was phenomenal, but the (sweet) surprise was the sweet potato waffle fries dusted with cinnamon-sugar. OMG. If you get the chance, you must!!!

upload_2020-5-11_12-7-43.jpeg

Once back in town we hit Ingles for some staples: chocolate chip cookies, milk, ear plugs, Kind bars (quick morning food). Eat, sleep, ride, repeat. Welcome back to WNC :-)

upload_2020-5-11_12-10-40.jpeg

Thanks for sticking with me guys (and hopefully a few ladies)... I promise there are some interesting plot points coming up, and I will get around to question of where other girls (on sporty bikes) are found!
    oic, Toddv, ejm4 and 7 others like this.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You are doing just fine for a n00b on your 9th post. Please continue...

I'll shut up now:D
    klaviator likes this.
  12. stravis

stravis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite areas on earth. I go a few times a year. Thanks for sharing!
  13. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    THURS 9/5/19 Part I

Ponies at the Gap and We ride North GA

upload_2020-5-11_19-0-13.png

The Rally kicks off tomorrow, so today is my free day and since we missed North GA in June, I had it in my head that’s where we should go. But when you wake up in Robbinsville, the gravitational pull of Deals Gap is hard to resist. As soon as the fog lifted we were headed up for a nice clean run, and in my case, followed it with a Dragon Slayer burger. If there’s a fried egg on top, it’s breakfast, right?

The morning was a touch cool but promised to warm up quick. Forecast is high 80s for the next five days.

upload_2020-5-11_19-3-21.png

There were a lot of seriously beautiful Mustangs rolling into DGMR this particular morning, most far from stock, and a few Armageddon exhausts that were too much even this diehard Sound Queen (and former owner of a Torch Red 4.6L GT). Turns out Hurricane Dorian – remember? – forced the cancellation of a rally in Myrtle Beach, so approx. 500 Ponies rerouted to Pigeon Forge. The show must go on! Check out the carbon hood below. How gorgeous is that?

upload_2020-5-11_19-5-56.png

Speaking of shows, that must go on… we did another run over the Dragon and then bugged out for North GA. This entailed going down the northern section of 28, which felt new because I’m usually in the other lane headed up to the Crossroads, and then a brief stint on 74 before you peel off onto the southern section of 28. Somehow I’d forgotten how technical this part is. It’s not quite as tight as the Gap, not as open as 28 North, so it was a bit of work for me to find the right rhythm. It reminded me of how I struggled with the Gap for idk three freakin days on my first trip. OK it was longer than that, but the point is I’m fairly smooth on it now and the same thing will happen on any road if I put in the time. Framed that way, who wouldn’t enjoy the process of getting there?

Which is another way to say, Scott finally got tired of playing and eventually I caught back up to him. We took 64 (nice sweeping two-lane) to 175 to GA 75 and stopped for gas in Hiawasee (where a local chatted us up and mentioned family in Presque Isle, Maine). Next we rode through the towering pines on 180 and then hit 348, one of the roads on my mental checklist. Definite thumbs up on that one! Along the way we stopped at the Hogpen Gap Overlook and I took what’s become one of my favorite pics of my bike:

upload_2020-5-11_19-7-49.png

What the pic doesn’t show is how steep the grade is. I had a b*tch of a time getting back onto the road, must have stalled the thing four or five times. Yes my rear brake is pretty useless, but it was humbling all the same. I was able to get the balls of my feet down on the deck and that was it, pretty much a split second away from dropping the bike the whole time.

How Not to Park Your Duc on a Hill:

upload_2020-5-11_20-12-13.png

After 348 we were moderately lost a few times, but the loose plan was to head back to Robbinsville on 129. Wait, that sounds like the day is winding down. On the contrary. Getting lost is usually the start of some good stuff, though it might end up with us running out of gas… I’ll be back to let you know it turned out tomorrow!

Attached Files:

oic, klaviator, shuckinator and 5 others like this.
  14. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    THURS 9/5/19 Part II
    Wolfpen Gap & other Squiggly Roads

So at the end of 348 (the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway) you have to decide if you want to deal with the tourists in Helen Ga. Ummm NO is usually my answer to any question with the word tourists in it. Yes, even when I’m the d@mn tourist. I'll own the double standard. Not only is my home state simultaneously disturbed by and dependent on the summer hordes, but I’m still triggered by an accidental routing through Pigeon Forge a couple years ago. Holy fcuk it’s eight lanes of Orlando married to Vegas up there. By all accounts Helen is quaint and much quieter, but we are here to ride. Right turn for us.

This is where the sorta-lost and wandering begins. I later spent some time with Google maps trying to fill in the… gaps ;-) But here’s what you need to know. It’s true what they say about the roads down here. They are all good, if not perfect. Unless you have someplace to be, you can literally just pick a direction and add throttle.

upload_2020-5-12_20-18-16.png

75A dumped us back onto 129, and best I can tell we did a big u-turn and were then running somewhat parallel to 348 on 129/19. I was enjoying the corners we were on, but Scott appeared to be looking for something. Finally he braked for real and spun around. We backtracked for a couple miles, his turn signal came on and we made a right onto… Wolfpen Gap Road. Yesssss! I’m sure I made little happy noises in my helmet.

I first rode it last year, after a thunderstorm. So there was a fair amount of gravel washed onto the surface, which in addition to the narrow and off-camber nature of the road, made it rather uncomfortable for me. Plus, the spandex warriors. There was a lot to pay attention to.

Now, this year it was dry and clean and I had a complete blast! The torque of the Ducati twin probably played a part, it's just easier to access than the Kawi I4. And only one bicycle to navigate around.

In Suches we turned right onto 60. Not as many elevation changes but twisty and continued the fun. We roared past the old general store with the sagging porch that served up great burgers on Texas Toast last year – closed :-(

Skeenah Gap Road was also good ride, though it doesn’t look all that impressive on the map. Maybe I needed a breather LOL.

From here on out, even a map can’t jog my memory. I don’t know where we crossed back into North Carolina. What I remember is the fuel light coming on. You don’t buy a superbike for fuel economy, but the 848 is particularly thirsty. Let’s just say 120 miles is about the outer limit. You might get another 10 but not here in the twisties. We finally join up with 74 somewhere west of Murphy, maybe? 74’s a big road. Surely there will be gas right over the next rise. No and no, and by now my light’s been on for 12 miles. I’m thinking Oh this is gonna suck when Scott spies a cutout on the divided highway and reverses direction. Two miles later, and several hundred yards off the main artery, around a bend… GAS! Old school pumps, worn out concrete apron and faded lotto signage. No idea how he saw the place from 74.

I’m afraid I have no pictures after 348/Hogpen Gap. We rolled into Robbinsville around 7:00 and walked to dinner at Lynn’s (another place where everything is good). Then afterward walked some more to loosen up. Sometimes tired feels amazing, and I slept hard that night for sure!

upload_2020-5-12_20-54-1.png

Next up: The Women's Sportbike Rally and Somebody gets a Ticket
    oic, klaviator, Ks-Rydr and 6 others like this.
  15. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU for those bearing with me. It’s clear I need fewer words and more photos to improve the read. Both present a challenge for me LOL but I can definitely clean things up.

FRIDAY 9/6/19
    Check-in for WSR and A Ticket is Written for one? For two?

Friday dawned cool but clear. Third faultless day in a row. Check-in for the rally wasn’t until 5, so I could practically play on the Gap all day. I stopped to snap a few shots from the bridge at Cheoah on my way up 129.

upload_2020-5-13_21-50-48.png

upload_2020-5-13_21-51-42.png

I was at the Calderwood Overlook by 0915 and sitting in front of a stack of pancakes not long after, facing the road and enjoying the show. Friday is pretty much part of the weekend – as in, the days to avoid for the best riding experience. But I’m an introvert who enjoys people watching.

upload_2020-5-13_21-54-8.png

upload_2020-5-13_21-54-58.png

And being on the slow side, my ride is less impacted when the road fills up. I get a couple clean runs in the morning, then find it fairly easy to be patient until the crowds thin out. Usually late afternoon. You’d be surprised how many people come in to simply ride the Dragon once, grab a burger and leave. Those guys are gone by 5 because they have somewhere else to be. All I know is I’ve learned A LOT from this road over the last five years, essential sh*t like mental focus and smooth inputs. How to keep your eyes up and stay loose on the bars. How to get your braking done before turn-in. But mostly about throttle control. Maintenance throttle, tactical throttle, confident and add-a-little-more throttle. For those who want to say the Tail of the Dragon is NOT A TRACK… I counter that it is very much like a trackday, in that you’re repeating the same corners over and over and building skills.

For those of you scrolling for pics, they are forthcoming. Awaiting digital purchase from Killboy ;-)

As midday approached, well, I'd been in town for more than 36 hours and was in desperate need of a Hub milkshake. Not to mention it was my last opportunity to address the dead AC in the van. It had disappeared somewhere in Tennessee on the way in, and there would be no surviving the return trip in this heat without it. I went back down 129, parked the bike and took the van in to the boys at Robbinsville Tire. Then hoofed it over to The Hub, where Scott met me for lunch.

upload_2020-5-13_21-58-20.png

The Hub: once again you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. I'm partial to the BLT and pulled pork, but the 3-scoop milkshake is my primary objective.

upload_2020-5-13_21-59-44.png

Afterward, Scott heads back up to the hill, because he's got a 10-run day in his sights. I walk back to pick up the car. Props to Robbinsville Tire for helping out this tourist. Who in all likelihood won't need functional AC at home for another 7-8 months LOL

“Maine, what it like up there?” the service manager asks.

“It's a lot like here,” I answer. “Only colder.”

One of the reasons I love Robbinsville is it feels a lot like my home town, back when I was growing up. Before the farms went away and the highway made it commutable to Portland.

When I got back to the hotel, there was another Maine plate in the parking lot. The third member of our posse had arrived. While Stuart unloaded his Tuono V4, I decide to chat up the WSR attendee who rolled in right behind him. Turns out she's done the event four times, so I asked her about the group rides – curious about the routes, the group sizes, skill level, etc.

I must have phrased the question all wrong, or been too hyper or something, because her eyes softened and she assured me everything would be fine. Big smile. So basically, still no idea what to expect! I heard the Aprilia fire up and well, back to the Gap we go.

At 4:30 it was Rally Time. I left the guys at DGMR and took 28 down to the Iron Horse in Stecoah. How Yamaha got their demo truck in there is both a mystery and testament to some serious driving skill. As you can see, there's the well-styled R3 at the head of the line. But no R6 (come on it's a sportbike rally) and no R1 (ok didn't really expect that one)...

upload_2020-5-13_22-4-32.png

The demo bikes included the R3, the Nikken 3-wheeler (ummm sportbike rally?) and a couple of the naked triples.

There was also an impressive line-up of bikes ridden to the event by attendees. About half were fully faired, but all were sporty. I checked in and engaged in some organic conversation of the where-are-you-from and what-do-you-ride variety. Full disclosure, I was one of the last to arrive and my bike is on the loud side. The what-do-you-ride question had kinda already been settled.

Eventually we were herded into the lodge and Britney Morrow called the Rally to order. A ton of work goes into making this thing happen, and she gave credit where it's due as the schedule was laid out. My eyes went to the four large ride maps posted up. They looked pretty sweet. Hmmm which one?

Then came the Get-to-Know-You games. And validation statements. Suddenly I find myself in the middle of the very type of social situation that I tend to avoid. The theme this year (the fourteenth) is Riding Brave. Brittney's closing directive is simple: be brave, go out, find your tribe and ride.

I realize I already have a tribe, and they're waiting for me at Tapoco. So the social makeover will have to wait another year. I put my helmet back on and scoot north up 28.

Taking some sunset pics along the way:

upload_2020-5-13_22-8-25.png

upload_2020-5-13_22-8-51.png

Thought I could get to it, but the cop stop will have wait until tomorrow...
    oic, klaviator, Suncoaster and 3 others like this.
  16. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    Friday 9/6/19 continued
    Tennessee Speed Tax

So, yeah, I traveled twelve hundred miles with the idea of being part of a group of cool women on pretty bikes, only to bail at the first sign of party games. I was now zipping north to join my amigos at the Tapoco Lodge.

You never know what you're going to find in the parking lot at Tapoco. In June it was a McLaren sitting next to an Audi A10. His & Hers. Not that Mr caught me taking pictures or anything. Tonight it was this bike:

upload_2020-5-14_22-53-4.png

I'm embarrassed to admit I was trying to figure out what it was (and what was going on with the front end). Buells are even more rare than sportbike girls. And again I was caught by the owner, who recognized the confusion on my face, the phone out for pictures. “Do you know what you're looking at?” he asked. “This is the only American-made superbike in existence.” Then the light bulb went on.

When I get to the patio dining area, I find Scott and Stuart are doing way better than I am in the game of life. THEY had new friends, three fellas from greater Chicago. A chair was pulled up and introductions made. Waitress came to take my order. Then Stuart produced a piece of paper, unfolded it for my viewing, and let the implication sink in. As the smart-ass retort was about to leave my mouth, I realized there was another, identical piece of paper on the other side of the table. Because apparently my tribe makes new friends on the side of the road, while in the company of Tennessee law enforcement.

Sorry, identities cannot be revealed. But Scott highly recommends the cheesecake at Tapoco...
    upload_2020-5-14_22-57-52.png

Seriously, I was gone for what, three hours and Stuart gets his first ticket in nearly twenty years of spirited riding at Deals Gap. He was kinda overdue. But it was still weird – it's the Dragon not Cherohala, I mean, did he misplace his brake lever?

The officer had pulled Dan first, then heard the V4 coming along and walked out into the road to tell Stuart to join them.

The event was described and processed relentlessly over dinner, and morphed into riding plans for the next day. I can tell by the conversation that I can't ride anywhere near the pace of these guys, but the invite included me and I wanted in. I'm good with riding my own ride. My two guys would wait for me at turn-offs. And at this point, I'm ok even if I get lost. I could find my way back to Robbinsville.

Right now, however, it's 9:30 and darkness has fallen for real. Both 848's are headlight-challenged so getting to our beds in Robbinsville will be a slow parade behind the Aprilia. Sounded simple enough but panic surged more than once. Let's just say I couldn't let Stuart pull a gap.

NEXT INSTALLMENT: Dan shows us some new roads!
    klaviator, B10Dave and Vrode like this.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip. BTW, You are using the wrong year for the dates.
  18. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a fun read, I enjoy your style of writing. Thank you.
  19. TrackdayBarbie

Oddometer:
    Holy Serial Blonde Moment Batman...Thanks, Swimmer!

Working on an update now.
    i4bikes likes this.
  20. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, I thought I would see how long you would go. I don't share your love for the Dragon but I like your writing style and passion.
    Nice report and great PICs.