Tracking App/device

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by cnw126, Sep 26, 2015.

1. cnw126

cnw126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am interested in an app/device that will allow my family to track my whereabouts when I am out on the road. I would prefer that my family would be able to go online an see where I am within a "reasonable" amount of time. I am not planning to go into the far reaches of the wilderness but I would like a user friendly tracking device that is easy for me and my family to understand how to use and for them to be able to find me if I do not "check in." Of course I would like to save/reduce cost as much as possible but ultimately I want my family to be able to find me if I do not "check in" when I say I will.

Could any of you recommend such an App/device???

Thanks
  2. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    If you are never going to be out of cell phone range, you could investigate http://spotwalla.com and investigate the iOS or Android devices. Or SPOT or DeLorme Inreach. SPOT and InReach work with Spotwalla. I have a SPOT that I use in conjunction with Spotwalla as I find Spotwalla better and easier to use than the SPOT equivalent.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I have Follow Mee on my phone (https://www.followmee.com/). It's free, simple to use, and it works great for what you are seeking.
  4. cnw126

cnw126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for!
  5. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't say what area of the world you plan to travel in but the Delorme inReach has better coverage than the Spot. It uses the Iridium network.

I had an inReach SE and now have their Explorer and I am extremely pleased. You can also send/receive text messages with it and the app for iPhone is fantastic.

There is also a section here in Advrider where that is discussed thoroughly... The GPS and navigation section. Doing a search there will turn up a lot of information.
  6. cnw126

cnw126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Mtl_Biker I will search that.

For the mean time I am just doing weekend rides in the Mid-atlantic region of the USA; MD, DE, PA, WV, VA. So for the most part I will have full time cell service and the Followmee app seems to be the most appropriate and cost effective method of tracking for the short term. I am currently testing the Followmee trial version and so far so good. However, if this appears unreliable I will certainly be looking for something more robust. Thanks for the information and I am planning multiweek trips in the future.

It is important to keep family members informed because as I am sure you all know that the road can take you places unexpected. Even 1 hour lapses in contact can leave loved ones worried. If something were to happen, either an accident or break down or what ever, it would be nice to know that those who care know exactly where I am.
  7. LifeOfAdventure

LifeOfAdventure n00b

Oddometer:
  8. kevind02

kevind02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Im in the Mid Atlantic area. I love riding those areas (except DE). Any trips planned?
  9. Yooper11

Yooper11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your family is on iPhones as my family is we use "Find Freinds". It works both ways as it helps me keep tabs on my new 16 year old driver as well.
    caliform likes this.
  10. caliform

caliform Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to be on the design team of this app. Works a charm, and note that there's now a web version on iCloud.com.
  11. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if Find My Friends and Followmee keeps a history of your whereabouts, as SpotWalla does.

I use SWconnect with Spotwalla and my tracks are saved forever. The cool thing about SWconnect is that if you go out of cell range, it saves all your locations until you have a signal, so even when you're out of range, it keeps track. Not that it helps for realtime location information, you still have to have a cell signal for that, but it works very well for documenting a trip.

Jamie
  12. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I use the Find Friends app from Apple with no complaints.
  13. Anywhereness

Anywhereness Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SPOT currently has a rebate offer for the SPOT 3 tracker, where after activation, you'll get the device for essentially free.

I use a SPOT 2, and for me it's been worth the service fee every year. I pay for the basic service, the breadcrumbs tracking, and the $8 extra pittance for $100k in insurance.

Just be sure to wire in SpotWalla.com, because SPOT Adventures is rubbish.
  14. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used SPOT earlier this year in the USA, Mexico and Guatemala. No complaints.
  15. fluffdad

fluffdad Dual Spork Group W

Oddometer:
    I use MotionX on my iphone for my gps, it has a feature that you can see your friend(s) in real time. I haven't tried it yet (no friends) but it seems cool.
  16. Pug-Nose

Pug-Nose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Suncoaster likes this.
  17. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    Bumping an old thread - couple questions for you guys using tracking apps.

What I want is an app that will track my ride (and name it/save it along with others) and then let me go back and select it so I can do it again and again if desired.

In my area of riding I can be out for 2 hours and be on a lot of roads I never knew existed out through farmland and rolling hills and sometimes taking hundreds of turns in a matter of just an hour, there is no way I can remember most of it.

It would be even better if I could drop a pin at a particular sight (lets say a random hilltop) and name it, and then save the route so as to know exactly which route will take me back there again.

Is "Rever" what I need?
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Project84: I don't know if Rever is what you need, but I'd expect you need a GPS with tracking ability, and the ability to upload your tracks to your computer. The non-GPS trackers I know about (mostly SPOT) only peg your location every 10 minutes or so. So you could miss some of your turns on your tracks due to that. GPS tracking works better for that reason.
  19. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I've used CoPilot GPS app (the free version) in the past to get me places. Lots of cool features there to aid in route planning and changing but it didn't offer any way to save a route.

Thing is, I do a lot of local roaming within 50 miles of home and it would be cool to save a couple of specific routes to go back and revisit with friends at a later date.
  20. fluffdad

fluffdad Dual Spork Group W

Oddometer:
    P84. Motion x does that