Tracking buddies while riding

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by LuckyPunk, Jul 28, 2019.

1. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw the GoTenna mesh network devices where you can see your friends in realtime on a map, but the app seems to have negative reviews. Does anyone know of a gps dongle/device/app that can display your riding buddies' position?

What got me thinking about this is the Trail Tech Voyager Pro, but it seems you can only track people who also have this dash?

Is there either a standalone gps unit that has inexpensive tracking modules, or a gps tracker that can overlay on maybe google maps? Or some other decent mapping software for android?
  2. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in this too. When you get strung out and are no longer in voice contact, would be much more useful just to know when your crew is.
  3. ljustina

ljustina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's funny how everyone has gps, but no great (cheap) way to sync them... I've never used anything while riding with others, but that would be pretty nice! I know you can "share" your location via google maps, but never tried it with a group while riding - may have to try. Looks like you can share your location for up to 72 hrs at a time... https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7326816?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  4. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've used that before, but I'm looking for an off-road/no-service situation. I'd like to have some kind of topographic or good quality off-road map. I guess my idea is difficult to implement because you would need hardware/software integration, and the link between people would need to either be bluetooth which has a short range, or satellite which isn't free. Maybe use a public band radio frequency? I should just invent it and make millions.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

It you sold it for $500,000 per unit, you might make a couple million..... the number of people looking for this device is extremely small... :-(
  6. Sgt.Floyd

Sgt.Floyd delinquent

Oddometer:
    LeadNav has an option for this- it unfortunately requires a sat data modem. The hardware is pricy, but the service is crazy expensive. The upside is everyone in your crew would have to bite the bullet and get the same package in order for you all to see each other.
  7. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The trailtech voyager pro currently only tracks other identical units. There have been post about tracking beacons but they haven’t come out. The latest email said that the next firmware update would allow you to track people using polaris ride command. That’s awesome but will require cellular service.

garmin rino radios will do what you are asking.

Aprs will also work but you need a ham license
    LuckyPunk likes this.
  8. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ck622, your reply was very helpful. I've been thinking about getting a ham license, and those APRS are interesting. It seems like a whole lot of electronic tinkering though. I was familiar with the old Rinos, didn't know they have been updating them with color screens and all that. Those seem like a great solution.

Does anyone know much about pairing Senas with Rhinos? I saw on the garmin website that only the internal mic of the rhino can be used while paired? That doesn't make much sense, but I feel like I'm on the right track. Those could be a great mapping/communication addition.
  9. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you would need a sr10 to pair a sena to a rhino. Or is there a rhino with Bluetooth now?

the ham technician test isn’t very difficult. However, you are correct that linking two Montana gps’s using Aprs requires multiple pieces of hardware wired together