Tracking buddies while riding

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by LuckyPunk, Jul 28, 2019.

1. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I found a product that meets my description, I've come full circle. So apparently there is goTenna mesh, goTenna mesh PLus, goTenna Pro, and goTenna Pro X. Who knew?

The pro line is a different hardware piece and comes with a "pro" app. It seems marketed towards paramilitary? Not sure who the customer is supposed to be, it couldn't be real military, I thought they already had way better stuff.

The hardware is $500/$850 each, pretty pricey but I don't see anyone else with something like this. It operates on VHF and UHF bands and has scalability and features that wouldn't necessarily apply to me like encrypted communication.

Edit: You need the applicable FCC license to operate on those frequencies at that power of 5W.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/27/g...eploy-next-to-rescue-fire-and-security-teams/
  2. Chrismcdowell25

Chrismcdowell25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GoTenna should be a bit better than the Beartooth. Beartooth was supposed to have mesh coming soon but looks like it may have been cut after I looked recently. FCC regulates all the radios so your not getting much better on that front other than antennas or illegally upping the power. You could do a balloon with an elevated repeater. Should boost your range tons if your going to be riding in an area.