Tracking Central Mass and More

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JPMartin86, Jun 5, 2015.

1. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    The first step is to admit that you have a problem, so here it goes... I am a hoarder! I have been hoarding the knowledge of dual sport tacks from central Mass and beyond. I am by no means a experienced adventure or a professional rider, but I do believe that have found some roads, tracks, trails that would be enjoyed by everyone from beginners to experts. I have been tracking my routes using an IPhone with the MotionX-GPS and so far it has worked flawlessly. Another way that I have been building routes is using PlotARoute.com. I figure periodically I will update this post with a route, more than likely in the central Mass area. If you have any questions in regards to them, feel free to reach out to me JPMartin86@gmail.com I hope than you will be able to enjoy these rides as much as I have. Braap!
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    :ear
  3. msamsen

msamsen Goat Rider

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you could post the files in a public cloud, e.g., DropBox, so that we could all enjoy them without pestering you individually.

Mike
    '14 F800GS "The Goat"
    '13 R1200RT "The Mule"
  4. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Waaaa-Wachusett Loop

This first rack I will be posting is short but good one. I consider it to be big
    bike friendly. So much so that a hard tail Harley could probably make it down with out a scratch. It is 60% pavement and 40% unpaved roads with few ruts and bumps. This route is a 12 mile loop starting at the base of Wachusett Mt. in Princeton, Ma and ending right back at the main parking lot. It is somewhat scenic as you drive through the state forest, farms, and offers some scenic vistas looking over all of central mass. I would suggest that you swing by this if your traveling up or down Rt. 140. Its a quick loop and doesn't require any planning, but I would suggest maybe planning it for the days that Wachusett Mt. has an event like, Country Fest or BBQ Fest this year. Also during the right time of year, you can drive to the top of Wachusett Mt. using the auto road. I believe it is $3.00 to do so.

http://www.plotaroute.com/route/76360

View attachment Waaaa-Wachusett_Loop.gpx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I plan on adding the GPX file and a link to the posts. Hopefully that will work.

6. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread is awesome. I've been scouring for decent rides around south Gardner.
    I tried to make my way down that area the other day. I remembered one of those roads (rhodes rd?) is all dirt and washed out, but ended up taking a wrong turn off of Davis. I grew up in Westminster, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

I've been thinking about getting into Leominster State forest for some time.
    Its 4500 acres of fire roads all throughout old Notown. I know of easy access off of a road in Leo, but have never been in there.
  7. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Hey Craig,
    You'll probably benefit the most from this thread haha. There are a lot of good riding spots. Ill have to keep an eye out for you, I live pretty much in Westminster center. What bike are you riding, judging by you screen name its something green. Also, I'm not sure that your allowed on the dirt roads through Leominster State forest. The one dirt road I saw was gated off, I could be wrong but I didn't want to take the chance.

8. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Midstate Trail Route (Work in progress)<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Now hear me out on this 2<SUP>nd</SUP> route. It’s a work in progress and is nowhere near complete. I have a vison to create a route that runs alongside with the Midstate hiking trail that starts on the board of NH and Ma then travels south through central ma to the boarder of Ma and CT. So far it’s a pretty solid route, that contains 70% pavement and 30% unpaved roads and trails. I would consider this midsize bike friendly, for example my father on a KTM 690 and I on the DR650 can handle it no problem at all. The trail sections that make this a difficult ride for bigger bikes are short and far/few between. They can easily be avoided and rerouted to the planned route. This Route starts at Westminster Café where you can get a subpar breakfast, and then start out on your adventure. The ending point is at Dresser Hill Farm, where you can get great fried sea food and ice, highly suggested! With that said you can easily have this trip done in a couple hours. Starting from the north some of the hazard roads that make this difficult for big bikes are between Bigelow rd. and Bushy ln. This has some soft mushy dirt and is rutted pretty well. Some point after that you’ll find yourself on East Hill rd which will turn into an ORV trail system it can get boney at times. The last hazard is Lyford Rd you hang a right just before the train bridge and once again you’ll find yourself on an ORV trail. One fun spot to ride around and check out the sights is in Rutland State Forest. There are many fire roads that you can travel on, just be careful of hikers, hunters, and pets. Keep your eyes open for land marks in there too. There is an old root cellar, solitary confinement cells, and even underground tunnels that you can explore. It’s all part of an old hospital that was converted into a prisoner camp way back when.

http://www.plotaroute.com/route/24188

View attachment Midstate_Trail_Route_Work_In_Progress.gpx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a black KLR at the moment (soon to be green)
    You'd definitely have to sneak in LSF. I've been in the front on foot (off of 31) & I could see atv/bike tracks, so i know its been ridden.

The above ride looks sweet. It looks like it ventures through the Prison camps? I haven't been out there in some time. I thought those were gated now? A lot of the mid state could be ridden on two wheels. I used to ride my quad on it all the time as it went right past my parents house.

I'm going to order up some TKC's today so i can get off the asphalt.
    If I keep pushing my bald scorpions I'm going down.
  10. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    That's exactly where those photos are taken. At the Prison Camps in Rutland State forest. Most of the roads are not gated and can be traveled on. During the "Mud Season" they do close the roads, but eventually reopen the first week of May.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread idea. I'm starting to do the same (hoarding tracks) in dropbox for easy download into Locus Pro on an Android phone. Subscribed!
  12. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:

Nice work.
    Are you familiar with this thread?
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999548
  13. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Old Dog

Oddometer:
  14. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There was a tree down early last fall that has since been cleared.

[​IMG]

I've never encountered a closed gate there either. It would not surprise me to see it closed for mud season.
  15. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just below Gilbert they closed part of Granger and Old Coldbrook/Old Worcester rd in April / early May for mud season
  16. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little out of the way but you should check out Falls road in Royalston MA. Unmaintained road going right into NH.

Falls rd.
  17. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very cool.
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    That's a really nice road; scenic and technical in parts! I took it in the Spring last year (riding alone) and it was pretty hairy riding; thought I wasn't gonna make it out a few times! Likely easier in the Summer (or with a buddy along).
  19. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part of Falls road, after all the rocky sections...

[​IMG]
  20. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Nice. That photo looks great. Not a real big fan of rocky...

Here is the latest version of the Puppy/Beach route.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3ao1apzbfoyx4r/puppybeachV4.gpx?dl=0
    We've ridden it end to end this Spring.

What I would like to do is connect from the Barre, MA area to Greenville, NH to connect with this one:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?authuser=0&hl=en&mid=zyv6d3K47i90.kW3xlR_lS2rI

That would give us a circuit of New England with the Puppy Dog, Hampster,TransMass, NNE trail.....oddly enough, passing very close to home for me. :wink:
    Anyone familiar with that area? Got suggestions?