1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracking Central Mass and More

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JPMartin86, Jun 5, 2015.

1. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    I have been meaning to make my way over there. I had noticed some dirt roads in the area via Google Maps. Even more interesting is the start of the section. On Google Maps Satellite Map you can see there is some sort of statue reading "God Is Wisdom"?

2. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I can easily get you from Barre and into Ringe, NH. I have it all mapped out in my head from riding the system already. I just need to put it on paper. It does get a bit technical though, ie. Mud, Rocks, Sand... But its doable on a KLR. I wouldn't go much bigger than that tough. Ill put together a GPX tonight for ya.

3. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I jotted down the rout that I knew from Barre, Ma. to Greenfield, Nh. I would highly suggest Knobbies for inexperienced riders. The route is doable on 70/30 on/off tires but you better be comfortable as there is mud, ruts, sand, water crossings, hill climbs and rocks. I am not familiar with the Ringe to Greenfield portion, I only improvised with what I saw on Google Earth, but I have a good feeling about it.

www.plotaroute.com/route/78417

4. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:

Nice. That meets my 'Puppy to the Beach' route right at the beginning of Prison Camp Rd.
    I am not familiar with planaroute.com. Are you able to open my GPX file?
    If so, you'll see what I am talking about. Thanks, its helpful to have some local input for the route planning...I had more time last year.
  5. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats about as good as you're gunna get going though mass (barre to greenville that is) at least.
    Lost lake, prison camps, Now we're talking. How is stone/bemis? I always thought bemis was a dead end.
  6. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Stone/Bemis is the best section out of the whole route! Highly suggest checking it out. The first portion of it is a little technical for bigger bike (Mud, Ruts) but from there its pretty much a hard pack fire road. I blast down it at least once a week.
  7. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Planaroute.com has been great, you are able to save the routes in all different GPS formats.

I did look at your rout Puppy to the Beach. Were there many dirt roads through RI?

8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its tough south of I95, only 1 gravel section and 1 sandy road at the shore. Otherwise RI and Ct are probably 60-70% dirt. I started off wanting the route comparable to the Puppy Dog or Trans Mass and loaded big bike friendly. Some of the mid-Mass part is tougher, but those sections all flow together nicely and there are easy go-arounds if desired.
    I am looking forward to checking out your suggestion for connection to the Hampster Route. I've ridden around up in the Templton Tpke area but was not thrilled with the options I could find there. Maybe next weekend we'll ride up there.
  9. RidingUpAndDown

RidingUpAndDown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone riding anything in central mass tomorrow, mayb up to greenfield plus?
    :ricky
  10. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this thread. I am in Worcester. So perfect. ,
    Oakham state park, near Browning pond and Midstate trail had some really nice riding too. Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing it.
  11. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Did you try out the GPX file or have you just ridden these spots before?

12. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it the gpx files yet. But I have ridden around the area. Just poking around, getting lost and having a nice, short ride from home.
  13. crist0bal

crist0bal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for posting this route. I left Boston around 1400 and took the afternoon riding this. Did my first water crossings and sand pit action. . One of the trails I did come across was private, so I routed around on pavement. Not a big deal, just a heads up. When I get a chance and figure out how, I'll post my tracks/ gps file. The sand pit was a blast, also tiring. And the dirt track was a gem I didn't expect to come across. I've got some videos and pictures I can share:

Video-----> https://goo.gl/photos/MqbZNHeTTpzHsvDC7
    Pictures--> https://goo.gl/photos/hpycXsqrLNk7uGUs9
  14. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very sweet! All (99%) of the water crossings out there have relatively smooth rocky bottoms. Not too bad to cross, I've never gotten stuck.
    Where was the private trail? (that whole sand pit is private btw). I've spent a great deal of time in those pits. There are miles upon miles. Lost lake was like a hub growing up. It was the connector between New Hampshire, Templeton, Westminster, Ashburnham, ect. You used to be able to get almost anywhere by trail. That place would be packed on a Saturday/ Sunday. Not so much anymore.
  15. crist0bal

crist0bal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was how it felt like when I found that sand pit area. Reminds me of some places back home in Arkansas where locals hang out and do some wheelin'. I can't believe how empty everything was though, such a good area to ride in! I did pass a posse of jeeps at a water crossing. Chatted for a few minutes. Nice group.
    I can't remember exactly where the private trail was, I'll have to see if I marked a waypoint on my gps for it.
  16. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Hey, Im glad someone made use of this route. The photos and video are great. Thanks for posting your experience here. Hopefully soon Ill have the completed Midstate Trail system GPX for everyone. Id be interested to hear where the private road is, Ill have to fix that.
  17. zonth

zonth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello JP.
    I headed out from Plymouth, MA. to try out your "mid state" starting at Fruitland st in Barre. got through about 25-30 miles and began to come across consecutive mudholes. I think there were a few days of rain prior. I think I was around Fitchburg. The muddy stuff started at the end of a cul de sac that someone posted a "dead end" sign at. It wasnt a dead end, it was the begining of some nice muddy two track. Anyway I turned tail, as I was leary of quicksanding my KLR,
    That Rutland state park was awesome. Nice route, from what I saw, Thanks for your work and posting.
  18. KawasakiCraig

KawasakiCraig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's beside one of said mud holes. You were in Gardner/Winchendon. If you had kept going you end up in a nice little sandpit. We got hammered with Rain Saturday afternoon. You must have just missed it. sweet riding out there.