Tracks near Davis WV?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have tracklogs of dirt or gravel roads near Davis WV? I raced the Blackwater 100 back in the day and would love to spend a weekend down there on the DS bike just to see what its like now.
    Actually any long dirt/gravel roads in WV would be great!
  2. 91ctrk

91ctrk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have some mtb acquaintances in Davis who do the GPS thing. After pitting for my bro for some 10 years during the Blackwater 100, I knew many of the dirt roads by look, not many by name. I know some of the old DS roads they used back then also. Dolly sods, sen rocks, etc. I'll try to wrangle up some gps info.
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Thanks 91!!!! :clap
  4. The Flyin Hawaiian

The Flyin Hawaiian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the BW 100 8 times. I really miss that race. Id love to get out on the old course and see what it looks like today!
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    You got me beat, I only raced it 4 times 90-93
  6. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    From what I hear, nearly all of the BW100 course is closed. There are tons of dirt roads in the area. Public Road 44 that runs north from Durbin is supposed to be the longest dirt road on the east coast.

[​IMG]

I have been planning a ride in the area for June and I have some of the information (that came form other ADVriders) saved on a Google Earth. Right click and save on the link below, the open the link from Google Earth to see these routes. Please ping me back after your ride. I'd like to know what you find.

http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2008/SMR/WVmap1.kml
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I can't get it to work. I saved it, then tried to open it with GE but all I get is windows explorer opening up with a bunch of HTML stuff.
  8. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Going off the info on the map you posted, I transfered it into a route.
  9. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, lots of good stuff there!
  11. rdbandkab

rdbandkab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You both have me beat... I did the race 3 times(i think??). Watched Super Hunky do the velcro tire change and started next to Paul Clipper one year.
    Stopped going when people started getting run over by 4 x 4's while they were camping...

Would like to get down there on the XRR some day.
  12. BOB1200RTC

BOB1200RTC n00b

Oddometer:
    Raced the Black Water twice. Pulled a starting number in the 20s. A couple fast guys wanted to buy it but I thought hell no I'm gonna kick ass. Should have taken the $50. Was an experience I'll never forget.
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I drew #4 in 93. I passed my way up to 2nd by the time we got to the powerlines only to get a flat rear tire. Finished 13th overall so it turned out pretty good. :clap
  14. Flounderin

Flounderin GS Addict

Oddometer:
    I lived in davis for a few yeas and to qualify it, the National Park Service took the majority of the old camp 70 road (BW 100 area). If you go across the blue bridge out of Davis toward Cannan Valley at the top of the 1st hill is a dirt road to the right. Several miles out that way. It follows the blackwater river and VERY remote. Stop at the bike shop in davis and ask for matt. He knows all the roads, trails cut throughs ect.
  15. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    sorry, no tracks--but:

Dave Coombs' Blackwater dualsport rides, in the early '90s, used the dirt roads south: gandy, sully, shaver's fork, bemis, spruce knob, gladwin, 'sods, bear rocks, smoke hole, green bank, etc. That should give you a start, if you are willing to do your own homework. The Appalachians are heaven, when ye can't get to colorado, or idaho. Yes, use NFS maps, also.

:ricky
    Knute
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:

Dang, I can't find any of those road names in Roads & Rec or CN. :cry
  17. huggybear

huggybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to N38 57 423 and W79 34 355 and You will find Gladwin and Sully is also cr 10 looks like there are plenty of twisty-hilly roads in that whole area

I did not realize this thread was 4 months old ,but W V is beautiful go for it, I'll bet someone around still has copy,s of there roll charts from the dual sport rides,try You buddy Mark Sampson I no He has been there a few times
  18. BuffWv

BuffWv Long timer

Oddometer: