Tracks of 4 peaks?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by hoosier, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hoosier

hoosier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for some tracks of 4 peaks that will take me from the B-line side up and over the top of the mountian then down the other side to Rosevelt lake. Also if anyone has some tracks from the B-line side down to the river would be great. Went there this weekend for the first time and had a blast. But when I tried to get down to the river I ran into a hole lot of sand wash area which wouldnt be bad if I had made it to the river but on the old klr real loose semi deep sand aint much fun. Any help with a trail that is semi hard pack would be great. If I have to ride the sand thats cool to just would be nice to know of a good route to get me there the quickest or with as little sand ridding as possible. And before anyone gives me slack I know I live in the desert and I should expect sand.
  2. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    If you went down to the river, you went the wrong way. It sounds like you turned right at the intersection of FR143 & FR401 and went down FR401. That intersection is about 3 miles from the Beeline. I don't know if it's possible to do Four Peaks from 401... unless you're an animal.

You should have gone straight. FR143 (AKA Four Peaks Rd, AKA Cline Cabin Rd, AKA El Oso Rd) will take you straight to the ridge, over and back down the other side to Roosevelt Lake. We did Four Peaks the last two weekends. Left Fountain Hills at 8:30, took a leisurely pace, stopped for photos and was on the ridge eating lunch by 10:30, and at Roosevelt before noon.

I've got a Garmin route with waypoints I can send you but you really don't need it. Just stay on FR143 the whole way. The forest roads are marked.
  3. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How rough are the fire roads? I've got a semi-supermoto'd xr650r and always looking for good places to ride, but it doesn't do washboards well. Or maybe that's just me.:D
  4. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    The first two miles of FR143 (until you get to the intersection with FR401) has a lot of washboard. After that it's fine.
  5. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about trying the "over the peaks" ride this Friday. Anyone care to join?
  6. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I have ridden over Four Peaks several times and I would have to say, it’s an excellent GS ride. If you ride over Four Peaks on a weekend, be sure to watch for others on the trail…
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I personally like to combine <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Four</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Peaks</st1:placeType></st1:place> with the Apache Trail.
    Ride East “over” Four Peaks to Hwy 188. Ride South 11.5 miles to Hwy 88 (Apache Trail). Ride West on the Apache Trail to Tortilla Flat. (Stop for lunch or a cup of coffee)
    Awesome ride with multiple elevation changes and incredible views…
    [​IMG]
    Another great ride is the <st1:Street><st1:address>Senator Hwy</st1:address></st1:Street> (Trail)
    Start at Bumble Bee, AZ ride NW on the <st1:Street><st1:address>Crown King Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street> into Crown King. You can stop at Cindy’s Café for Breakfast, Lunch or a cup of coffee. Continue NW to the <st1:Street><st1:address>Senator Hwy</st1:address></st1:Street> (Trail) up and over the Bradshaw Mts. into <st1:place><st1:City>SE Prescott</st1:City>, <st1:State>AZ.</st1:State></st1:place>
    This ride is a much more difficult than <st1:place><st1:placeName>Four</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Peaks</st1:placeType></st1:place> or Apache Trail.
    Expect mutpal elevation changes, switchbacks, water crossings and wild life (Deer).
    You will be riding in several types of terrain. Desert, High desert and Tall Pines.
    Have Fun… I know I did…
    [​IMG]
    </o:p>