Trade GSA for 800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by peter_sd, Nov 29, 2008.

1. peter_sd

peter_sd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about trading my GSA for a 800GS has anyone done this ? if so how did you like it. I am looking for a lighter bike for a little more offroading
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Keep the GS and get a dual sport.
    Is this possible?

While I am enjoying my 800, it sure isn't the bike I want to ride a lot o pavement on.
    Two bikes would cover all your riding needs pretty easily.
  3. peter_sd

peter_sd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Ducati 1098 also my wife wont let me get 3 bikes so i want something that is a little more offroad worthy
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I was sitting on the 800GS today in kelowna and it seemed like a great option to the big adventure. No idea how it is on the road or dirt but I liked it. The dealer told me that Tourtech has just announced add on fuel tanks that wil give it a much better fuel range. I wonder how long before the Adventure version comes out. I know I would buy one for an upcoming RTW we are planning.
  5. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    The 800 is hardly a great off road bike when compared to a light single.
    I would look more towards a 530 KTM or something similar.
    As far as a 800 vs. 1200 comparison, I don't have one. I have only test ridden the 1200 on the road.
    I am surprised how well my 800 handles most off road situations, but again, I wouldn't call it great.
  6. peter_sd

peter_sd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not looking for a true off road bike i am looking for something that will do both better then the GSA the GSA is a bit heavier off road
  7. Peter800GS

Peter800GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 800GS for 3 weeks. I went off road for the first time today. I covered 4WD tracks and dirt/gravel roads, the bike was great. It was a bit heavy over the 4WD sections. My last bike was an 1150GS which was a handful on the dirt. The 800 is more fun.

July, 2009: Had my F800GS for 8 months, traded in for a 1200 GSA. The 800 is fun, the GSA will suit the longer touring on/off road better.
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That dealer is full of shit. I was with Touratech on Friday.

Don't hold your breath. This "version" only exists in the minds of anyone who's ever wondered.
  9. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do tell, I haven't seen anything on the TT website....:ear

Rob in Seattle
  10. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    I have an R90/6 for vintage rallies and pretty days, a KLX250S for ripping through the underbrush, and I bought the 800GS for long-distance riding and to satisfy my inability to stay off gravel roads:evil. I have ridden about 500 miles of backroads and highways, as well as some fire roads (and even a little single track) and I'm impressed. It will ROCK a highway with a few curves. It may not loft over logs quite as nimbly as the KLX, but with the right tires it will go anywhere a jeep can, and with a quickness. I think the GS was the best choice for me for a coast-to-coast machine that looks good with mud all over it.

Edit: Upon reading the original post I realized my reply was a little OT. If it helps, I got rid of my R1150R for this GS. The GS seems to be such a "do-all" machine I'm thinking about selling the KLX as well.
  11. CleaverID

CleaverID Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM 950 enduro trumps the 800gs and can be found used much cheaper. The 800 was supposed to be the cheap BMW but our shop is selling them (if you can get one) for @ 13k. NOT a good deal. the KTM has fully adjustable suspension which the BMW doesn't. Check out last months Rider magazine review of the big KTMOOER, sweet bike. Add saddlebags and a small screen and you're in buisness.
  12. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    Don't go toward the orange light Peter_SD! You're a Beemer guy, I can just tell (?) Oh, I love KTMs who am I kidding. But for what it's worth I think the GS is easier to service, not as tall, and more comfy on the open road.
  13. CleaverID

CleaverID Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with fireman on the servicing, my 640 enduro has 2 oil filters and has to be bled when changing the oil. But if you ride lots of dirt.... 2 filters may not be so bad. Not sure on the 950 servicing. Again dirt riding in mind, the 800 gassed up is a portly 521 lbs according to Rider mag. 20 lbs less than the 1200!!!! Compared to the 420 dry 950 with better suspension you have to look at what you plan on doing with the bike. The KTM will be a better dirt bike hands down. I also would love to have the 800 in my garage, it is an awsome bike but after the sticker shock I was really turned off by the BMW. KTM is not even close to cheap either but with more used bikes out there may not be a bad option. I'm looking towards a DL1000 for my next bike, the wife won't let me spring for the 990 adventure and really the money they want for one of those even used isn't justifyable.

Happy riding,
    Mike
  14. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    so how much better is the 800gs offroad than the gs or gsa? is weight the only thing that makes it better offroad than the gsa?
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    TT haven't announced squat. That dealers got a great line in bullshit. One day though. One day.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same dealer told me the same thing yesterday although I don't believe TT was mentioned.... depending who you ask in there, regardless of subject matter, you will get a wide variety of answers. That's starting to piss me off.
    :baldy
  17. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    The 800 Adventure should be out in Spring 2010 with the HP2 to follow later in the year.
    I can't wait for the new 135 hp 3 cylinder engine :deal .

I rode an 800 & 650 back in October for less than 1/2 hr each. I was impressed with both bikes, but I don't think a 1200 owner would be happy with the 800 as a long distance pavement bike :dunno But I sure would rather have it instead of the Dakar.
  18. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    where are you getting this information from? and please don't say rockets and raptors.
  19. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Peter,
    One month ago I took delivery of a '09 F800 GS. I replaced my '04 1150 GS. My reasoning for the change was as follows:

I took quite a few trips on the 1150 and liked the bike a lot. My main complaint with the 1150 was the weight in off road and back road/ dirt road situations. I didnt "dirt ride" with the bike but did several trips where I logged several thousand miles sections off the pavement. However I really liked the bike for its ability to eat up the miles on the pavement. But, in the end, I didnt buy a GS to stay on pavement.

After testing the F800GS I found it to be an ALMOST perfect "fit" for my riding style. It's just about 150 pounds lighter and very nimble and easy handling. It is NOT as good riding on pure pavement. I find it to be a little "buzzier" and not as planted as my old 1150. But for back roads, fire lanes and easy / moderate trails it is pure fun. It is not as "dirty" as the KTM or as "pure roadworthy" as the 1200 GS. For me, it perfectly fits the nitch between the two. I dont mean to suggest that its the perfect bike because I really dont believe that it exist, yet.

I am planning a 12,000 mile trip to Alaska for 2009. I believe my 800Gs will fit my needs quite well because we have planned about 3000 of those miles on dirt roads and back country riding. Cant wait! Watch for the trip report!
  20. DesertRat

DesertRat Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weight is obviously a biggie, but not the only issue. The standard forks and 21 inch front tire lets the bike track much better on soft stuff than the big GS setup. I don't have much dirt time on the 800 yet, but the potential is there. I sold my 1200 GSA because of the weight and height. i loved my 1200 GS standard. It was the best all around bike i have ever owned, but the adventure added just enough height and weight to lose the natural feel of the standard. So far the 800 seems to gain enough off road ability that I don't think I will miss the slight losses on road. Time will tell.

Mike