Trade GSA for 800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by peter_sd, Nov 29, 2008.

1. peter_sd

peter_sd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your reply's, DivingBiker I am thinking of doing it for the same reason that you bought yours. I love the GSA but it is just so heavy sometimes. I thought about the KTM i test rode it but i like the BMW's a bit better plus there dealer network is great all over the place.
  2. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the 21 inch front tire. It absolutely helps the bike track better offroad.

Peter,
    Sounds like youve made your decision. I think you will be pleased. Post a photo of your bike when you get it. :clap
  3. Airbornexts912

Airbornexts912 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a very loaded 800 if yu want to trade....Adv Spec crash guards and plate...Barkbusters....TKC 80's...Carabou luggage...want to trade??
  4. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks. my dream for the past year has been to ride from florida to jellico TN, start and finish the TAT (probably end up taking the big bike bypasses) ride south down the pch and then 90 home. i've read more than a few advers say that the 800 isn't any better than then big gs offroad. most of them haven't ridden both bikes though. I'm still trying to find the bike that can do cinnamon pass, and still ride from california to south florida on the highway the best. maybe the 800 is that bike. I'm not sure.
  5. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 950SE is a top heavy pig and a maintenance nightmare. I greatly prefer my HP2 off road to the big Katooms. I also own a 2005 1200GS and 2009 800GS. In terms of off roading the 1200GS is probably similar to your GSA - big, heavy, and a little frightening. However, you can get the big GS's in some surprising places with practice and patience. The HP2 inspires a lot more confidence and is sprung much better for more agressive off roading. My initial impressions of the F800GS are that it will probably end up being a better off road tool than the HP2 with a little supension work, and proper tires. The F800GS is much lower than the 1200GS and certainly much lower than the HP2. The bike carries the weight low, and has a much tighter turning radius than either of the bigger bikes. My sense is that it will become a very good off road choice. Of course, none of these bikes could hold a candle to KTM single off road, but you can't really ride a KTM single on the road very far without hating life. The F800GS is fine on the road - really fun actually.
  6. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

Hey gator,
    In my opinion, I think the F800 would do just fine.
    I did a similar route this past summer on a '06 F650GS
    That bike did it all and was fun on the TAT, Cinnamon Pass and all.

My new F800 is way better on the highway, maybe a little rough on the tailbone after a few hours, but that can be remedied.
    In the limited time I've ridden it off-road the 800 feels so much nimbler and lighter than the 650. I know it's heavier, but it feels lighter when you're riding it.

I would have loved to have it on the Colorado Passes, and may just do that.
    I didn't get to finish the TAT because of time issues, so I may start in CO.,
    re-do Colorado and continue to the coast.

I really think for the trip you're planning the F800 would be great.

And I'm pretty sure you'd be taking I10 home from SoCal not 90.
    I did that route home from Alaska in '07. Awesome ride.

When are you thinking about going? I might be available. I went solo, and I think it would be more fun with another rider.

Bottom line= get the F800
    Again, my opinion.
    John
  7. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded my 05 GS (non adv) for my F800. Just prior to that, I was out in Colorado, where I rode Cinnamon with absolutely no difficulty on the 1200. Schofield, on the 1200, was a bit of a bitch.
    I haven't had the chance to get too much rough roading in on the 800, but I did catch some fairly big air once, accidentally, which the 800 soaked up way better than the 12 would have.
    On the highway, the longest trip I have taken is from Jefferson City to Chicago and back, though I did make it into a 14 hour trip on the way home:deal :lol3
    Power and handling on the highway were great, even with luggage. My ass REALLY hurt at the end of that 14 hours, though!
  8. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm still a while away from taking the trip. you also might retract your statement after i tell you i've never ridden on dirt. surprisingly, there's just not that much of it in eastern broward county. i'm planning on doing the BMW offroad school in spartanburg. its the other reason i'm planning on the big bike bypasses. its doubtful i'll do the hairy stuff and probably deviate from sam's maps a bit.

are you the guy that did the TAT with Oscar to Colorado?
    what kind of charter do you run down there? if its a sportfish, and you ever get work done up here at Merritts, I'm around the corner (literally). Let me know.
  9. mrleadfoot67

mrleadfoot67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just flipped 10,000 miles on my 800 GS this weekend during the LA Barstow to Vegas dualsport ride. I've been across the country on the bike and have done quite a bit off roading with it as well. I love it, for me it's hands down the perfect dual sport.

Directly comparing it to a R12GS off road: both bikes are big and heavy. The 800 feels more like a dirtbike, the 12 feels bigger. You can generally go faster in the dirt on the 800 (I was passing some of the slower guys on dirtbikes and keeping pace with a good rider on a cross challenge) but for any kind of a big hit you've still got to slow way down. I made it up a pretty interesting hillclimb on the 800 that my buddy couldn't quite get up on the 12, the weight was the deciding factor for that. I actually really like riding a 12 in the dirt too, I think it's a lot of fun, but I'm glad I've got the 800.

On road, the R12GS is more comfortable (especially compared to your Adventure), handles, wheelies and stops amazingly. The 800 feeels a touch lighter and is lots of fun on road, but you've got to wind the motor up before it starts really moving and it's not as comfortable all day long.

It really depends what you like and what you want to do. For more touring the 12, for more dirt the 800. I don't know exactly how much off road experience you've got, but another alternative is to do some formalized training like the spartenburg school or Jim Hydes adventure camp. What about a third cheaper dual sport like a DRZ 400? A used DRZ will be way easier to ride in the dirt than an adventure bike. Really the perfect number of motorcycles is one more anyway, and a $3000 used bike might be an easier third bike sell than a $13,000 new third bike.

Take an extended demo ride on the 800 before you pull the trigger though, just to make sure you're getting what you want.
  10. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    +1

Point A to Point B- GSA is the better machine

Doing anything at either end of the trip- F800GS

The F8GS is more nimble in traffic and off road.

There are better commuters and better off road bikes. But that wasn't your question.

I think your decision point lays somewhere in deciding if the trade in long-hual comfort justifies the increased maneuverability.

For me the answer was yes.
  11. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I switched from a r1150 to a f800gs. On a muddy I can pick up a loaded f800gs with no help - r1150gs i would have to strip her down. A lighter bike = more fun for me! more flickable on the hairy stuff , 6 speed, and all the fancy stuff (computer, ABS, heated grips)

80% highway 20% offroad GSA

80% offroad 20% highway F800gs
  12. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    I'm not that guy, I rode solo.
    I run a dolphin watch and reef snorkel boat.
    I like fishing for fun but not work,
    those guys work way too hard. :D
    Years ago I worked on a boat and we had some work done at Merritt's

And quit yer bitchin about no dirt up there!!
    Try living down here.