Trade wrench help for beer, lunch, maybe more?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by OverthePond, Jun 10, 2021.

1. OverthePond

OverthePond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I have just bought a 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan and need some help wrenching on her. I would like to inspect the valve clearances but have no idea what the heck I'm doing. All the shops around are booked (obviously) and I was looking to start a big trip soon. Would anyone like to come by my place at some point and give me a few pointers? I would be happy to reimburse for time with beer, lunch, gas money?

Located in Seattle and would be willing to come to you if that works better.

I just don't have the confidence to do this stupid valve check. (I might also pay for someone to show me how to replace a tire as well, ;) )
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not that familiar with wrenching on Royal Enfields but would normally be able to help. I'm leaving in the morning for a week of fun-in-the-sun. If it can wait until the 20th I may be able to offer assistance. I'm a non-drinker so you will save some beer money ;-)
  3. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes you think you need to check valves on a 2 year old bike? Are there really that many miles on it?
    Baroquenride and PaulBarton like this.
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa---who let the Traverse City guy into PacNWet?! ;-)
    I assume it was more get to know the bike before a big first trip....
  5. OverthePond

OverthePond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly this. Just something I would love to learn and honestly more for peace of mind before I leave on the trip.
  6. Bighammer49686

Oddometer:
    9Realms and PaulBarton like this.
  7. Bighammer49686

Oddometer:
    Sorry if it came off harsh. I wasn't sure if you bought new old stock, or you bought it with 20k on it already and some concerns. Offer free beer and/or food and you get attention of all kinds. :lol3

I'm a little shocked at how often you have to do it, but I'd bet you can find multiple youtube videos showing how. The part that seems to confuse most people with any valve adjust is finding TDC. If your exhaust just closed and intake is opening, turn another 360° around. Both valves should be loose.

Adjustment looks really easy (with the right tools) doing it the old school way. My Suzuki won't need a check for a bit, but when it needs adjustment, I'll wish I had the screw and locknut, and not the micro-sized hockey puck shims to monkey with.
    9Realms and PaulBarton like this.
  8. OverthePond

OverthePond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! No worries at all. I just feel a little out of depth here. All the normal routine fluid exchanges are easy-peasy to me but hey, when I first learned how to do them I had help years ago. Would just like to have that same first experience. Thank you for the help!
  9. OverthePond

OverthePond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to take the trip as soon as the bike is ready. So could be tomorrow, next week... I bought the bike with about 2500 miles on her and am the second owner. I believe the previous owner did the 300 mile service on it and that seemed to be about it. I'm trying to take good care of the bike and get all the main things done. The chain needed some serious TLC. Got an oil change done, etc. The valve thing is the last thing I wanted to get sorted...
  10. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    My little 500 is at the check valve service and reading how it is done....there is 3 hours worth of stuff to take off before you can see the cam cover...then those little pucks.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    That valve service interval would I think deter me from choosing one of these bikes.
    That's nuts. was Miss Itchy Boots finding tech support that often for the ones that she had?
    I know she isn't riding an Enfield right now.
  12. PreChewCharlie

PreChewCharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the same interval on my Suzuki.
  13. OverthePond

OverthePond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I honestly think it's a pretty casual job for the Himalayan from what I've seen/ read. I would just like an extra pair of eyes the first time. No doubt every time after it'll feel like doing an oil change, standard stuff.

I will say pretty much everything else with this bike is super basic, maintenance wise. So there is that. Rad little bike.
  14. ScottMalv

ScottMalv Stay Thirsty!

Oddometer:
    Volkwagon, Airhead guy here,

check em, adjust em all the time. it'll become habit.
    Bighammer49686 likes this.
  15. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    ^^Yeah,,cuz a BMW airhead is only half of a Volkswagon engine,,
    Hiya ScottMalv!:wave
    PaulBarton likes this.