Trail Tech Tach on 2020 KTM 690

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by argonaut_west, Sep 12, 2021.

1. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2020 KTM 690 enduro came without a tach. Adding a Trail Tech Tach/Hour meter sounded pretty darn simple; just wrap the wires around the spark plug wire or coil boot and away you go. Well, I bought one, and just cannot get the rpm to read anything. I'm still experimenting, but wonder if anyone has a suggestion. This bike has two plugs, and I'm currently using the outboard plug. Does that one not function all the time? I'm going to try the other plug, and try the unit on another motor that has plug wires that are easier to get to.
  2. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I actually just bought one of these trail tech tachometers as well for a Husaberg FE570. Have not installed it yet as it is still coming in the mail but I've been running the cylinder head temperature gauge from them for the last 3 years on my BMW X-Challenge 650 hand can voucher to solid piece and quite accurate.

I was not able to put a tachometer on this BMW because the spark plugs are pretty far down and inside of the head and these super long coil packs did not have a way to attach a lead. In hindsight I probably could have used some kind of an extension wire and made something work but it would have been a little hokey.

Also on this BMW Rotax engine below 3000 RPMs the outboard spark plug does not fire. I don't know if this is the case with the 690s as I'm not as familiar with those bikes but a very well could be the problem.

Hope you get it figured out and enjoy the tech! I'm really looking forward to having one on my Berg soon
    Dao1 likes this.
  3. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tested the Trail Tech Tach on another motor with spark plug wires and it worked fine. So I'll try using the inboard plug on the 690 next
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  4. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Awesome sauce. Report back on your findings when you get it on the other plug! Good luck buddy
  5. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the plug cap and the coil is integrated i one piece down in the cylinder head, therefore there is just 12 volt in the wire, not high voltage as with the old setup.
    Dao1 likes this.
  6. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_6408.JPEG IMG_6409.JPEG IMG_6411.JPEG IMG_6412.JPEG
    Well, I tried every possible combo and cannot get this device to work on my bike. I tried above the rubber seal on the coil boot, and below, on both spark plugs and still cannot get any RPM readings. I also tried resetting the RPM PPR setting. The only way I could get a reading is to connect it to an old MGB sportscar. So the device works, just not on a 2020 KTM 690R. I'm thinking that the Coil Boot is made in a way that does not allow the wire to pick up enough signal. The instruction diagram suggests that should work. I'll try contacting the manufacturer Monday and see what they say. The good news is I know where my spark plugs are now!

Attached Files:

gnarlynate24 likes this.
  7. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    I've installed these on some of my previous older bikes. I always used the low voltage sensor connection. Do they no longer provide a low voltage input?
    j.
  8. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The last photo I took was of the instructions. All you get is the plastic display and a single wire running out of it. The wire has two layers of plastic coating and the last foot only has one. No connectors. Not sure where I would connect to.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  9. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Stupid question... Can you put this red lead where it directly touches the spark plug? Like underneath the rubber boot where the spark plug would press directly against this red lead?
  10. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was going to try that. There would be a couple ways I could get the red wire all the way down to the plug. My concern was that it would be too hot there, and it would melt the plastic coating on the wire.
  11. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Let us know what the manufacturer says about your situation.

My thought was the insulation is just strip a few inches of it off and have bare metal on the spark plug connection where it contacts the cap of the coil pack? Seems like that would be a direct connection and probably your best bet as far as I can tell buddy
  12. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think wiring it directly to the spark plug and seeing it
    shoot all of its voltage right onto that little wire going back into the trailtech is what i'd try to avoid. they have delicate little chips inside that voyager.
  13. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Yeah man I completely understand what you're talking about. I guess in my mind I was thinking bear wires wrapped around the spark plug not necessarily around the connection point but I get what you're saying about all these little microchips and whatnot. Fingers crossed and looking forward to hearing how you solve the problem dude!
  14. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reached out to Trail Tech and got this response pretty quickly. I have not had the time to tear into it again. Getting the wire down closer to the spark plug seems to be the right idea.

"Attached are some photos showing how it has to be installed on these bikes. It has to be around the very tip of the stick coil. On your newer version you will also have to remove the rubber cap on the tip of the coil. Then wrap the sensor lead around the tip."

Justin Yancy

Technical Service Rep | Apex Product Group

Phone: 800-769-2996

[email protected]

1600 SE 18th Ave | Battle Ground, WA 98604 690Spark_Plug_Wrap (1).JPG 690Spark_Plug_Wrap (2).JPG
  15. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I installed the tach as described, and the RPM meter actually started to read. It showed 1600 at idle, set a 1ppr. but when I would rev the engine the rpm's would drop. After all this messing around I'm going to return the device.
  16. argonaut_west

argonaut_west Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AOMC reply was they do not allow returns/refunds on electronic devices.
  17. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good effort though..