Trail Tech Voyager - Interesting GPS Speedo!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Yellow Pig, Oct 22, 2010.

1. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Afternoon folks,

I've just received a Voyager from Trail Tech. It will be used on my 2014 450 Gas Gas Enduro bike. I live in the big sandpit that is the UAE so my riding is predominantly dunes.

Up till now I've been using a Etrex 30 mounted on a barpad but keep breaking them by landing on them so I'm going to try the Voyager. Although I know its a less powerful gps navigation unit it seems it has other advantages one of which is its 'landscape' layout will allow me to mount it in front of the bars out of the way of my stomach landing on it :huh

I was wondering what tips and tricks folks had that they could share.

I also have a couple of questions.

I have been using basecamp for all my gps stuff up till now. I cant see a reason not to continue using it with the Voyager. Is there something better?

I currently have openmtbmaps installed in basecamp and on my etrex. How do I go about converting something for import as a gpx file for use in the Voyager. Has anyone got a link to a tutorial somewhere?

Any top tips and handy hints for managing tracks, waypoints and routes for use in the Voyager? I've attached an image showing some tracks of desert rides done.

All info gratefully received.

Ian

Attached Files:

2. TThelper

TThelper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have some new brackets that we have designed that will work with any and all makes/models. These will put the Voyager in optimal viewing position and allow you to keep the OEM dash if you don't want to get rid of it for any reason. Let us know what you guys think. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice. More than one color option?
  4. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This mount puts the device in the place I've just brought one to avoid

I've been using an etrex mounted on a bar pad and I've landed on it a couple of times. This has damaged the etrex and my guts

So I'm going to mount the voyager in front of the bars where the original meter is. This will protect the device and allow me to go back to a bar pad to protect my guts a bit
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'll take the bar pad !
    i agree, the best place to mount a GPS is where the stock speedometer usually lives.
  6. TThelper

TThelper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can appreciate your concerns with smashing into it, but the idea behind this bracket is to offer a mounting solution for guys who want to keep the stock gauge cluster. We often get asked for a better bracket than the plastic one that's included which would allow you to keep the stock cluster in place.
  7. Adventure Addict

Adventure Addict Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer:
    Interesting how they have time and resources to burn on fancy new mounts for the Voyager when the device itself has not seen any love for quite some time. Even the firmware and the track software have had no updates in 2+ years now...

Misplaced priorities... If they can't work on the problems with the unit it seems TT time could have been better spent answering the questions from iggs a few posts up rather than a "look at our rad new bling!!" post...

8. Trailtech

Trailtech n00b

Oddometer:
    Adventure Addict,

I persoally did this mount when we ran the WABDR a few weeks back. I did not want to remove or block the stock ODO and I needed the Voyager in prime viewing location to navigate.

We do not know of any firmware upgrades the Voyager unit needs. If you want upgrades, please call me, I would love to hear about them. If you call, ask for Geoff. If you have upgrades for RideLeader, wait until Voyager Pro rolls out before asking.

All of our "love" for the last two years has been put on our new Voyager Pro line. Voyager Pro will not replace Voyager. From our experience and feedback from customers, we think Voyager fits a need.
    Voyager Pro will have many upgrades over what Voyager does. Many of these upgrades are those people talk about in these forums. Some you will have never heard about but when you see it you will know why.

Sorry if I missed a question, I did not read every page....If I am not working on our products I am out riding with them.

iggs - try RideLeader, it is free.
  9. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trailtech,

I am interested in the Voyager being able to accept more sensor inputs. First that comes to mind would be EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) and Oil Temperature. in addition a current shunt and an ammeter option for the Voyager. Yes I know it sounds like I'm flying an airplane but sometimes I ride like it... :lol3

To Recap:

Monitoring Desired-

1) Ambient Air
    2) Engine CHT
    3) Engine Oil Temp
    4) Engine EGT
    5) Engine Water Temp on applicable models
    6) Engine RPM
    7) System voltage
    8) Ammeter

I think a Vapor type Instrument should do all this too, without the NAV and Alt options. So if your forking on a Voyager Pro, consider giving us these features. Consider giving us a Vapor Pro as well.
  10. WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote Anasazi

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Voyager and have a couple of Vapors.

On my first ride with the Voyager, I could not see hardly anything while riding. If I stopped and looked, I could tell what the screen was doing, but I need it to work while moving with quick glances.

I adjusted the backlighting on the Voyager to max and verified that the lower settings were indeed lower, but still have a major problem.

In comparison, the Vapors are much, much, much brighter and very easy to read. For those of you that may have both, is my Voyager defective or what? I called TT and could not get a definitive answer as to whether or not the Voyager's backlighting should match the Vapor.

Thanks in advance,
  11. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    WileyCoyote: I have both the Voyager and the Vapor. Of the two the Voyager seems to have better contrast and is easier for me to read. Sometimes it is the only GPS device that is readable, especially in bright sunlight. Usually, I keep my backlight turned off since the screen is so good at reflecting available light.

There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the contrast but you can cause the screen to invert. Are you using it in a cold climate? That sometimes causes screens to lose contrast. Take a couple of pictures of your screens and post them up. I'll do the same for mine tomorrow and we can compare them if you think that might help.
  12. WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote Anasazi

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of one of my Vapors and the Voyager that I cannot see well when riding.

Both are at max backlight. As you can see, the Vapor is much, much brighter than the Voyager. My conclusion is that the Voyager has a problem.

Attached Files:

13. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just went down and took pictures of both my Voyager and my Vapor. My results were the same as yours.

My camera basically thought the Vapor backlight put out about 4 stops more light than the Voyager when both are using external power. The exposures were 1/30 @f1.8 with 800 ISO vs 1/200 @ f1.8 with 400 ISO.

On internal power the Vapor drops down to 10% max.

I suspect the Voyager is acting as designed. They just didn't make it bright enough or perhaps they made a coding error and the output is limited to 10%.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  14. WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote Anasazi

Oddometer:
    Thanks. No difference on internal vs external power on brightness on my Voyager, but the Vapor is much lower like yours.

I ordered another one. We will see what it looks like.

If no better, I am going to jump ship and get another Vapor for this bike.

Thanks again,
  15. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a gps signal reception default with voyager and contacted them. They told me to send back and i did so. They sent a brandnew one. So far so good. Solid unit. Try changing the mount angle hope this will work

GT-N7100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
  16. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    This is excellent. Will it work with the anodized guard too? I've been playing with different mounting locations and would to prefer to mount it as you have in the pic below. I really would like to use the cool guard too. I have the HDB handguards and was looking to mount it directly to the HDB topclamp.

17. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have finally got round to mounting my voyager. There is lots to like and some things I'd like to see in a software update that I'm pretty sure shouldn't be to hard.

To date I have mainly used Garmin devices (Etrex HXc, Etrex 30 and old Forerunner). Im a big fan of Garmin devices and I've used them mountain biking, sea kayaking and desert biking a lot.

I'm using the Voyager on my WR450F for riding in the desert. We have no maps here and the desert is very blank and very limited on linear features (paths or ridglines) to navigate by. I use a combination of routes planned using either google earth and previous tracks.

Whats to like?

The screen is very clear even in very bright light.

The information displayed is very clear. I really like having the various sensor info too.

Menus system is clear and works well.

What could be improved?

I'm used to being able to navigate a route (series of waypoints one after the other). Its impractical to navigate one way point at a time. All GPS's I've used have been able to navigate a route. This is key functionality for a gps used for navigation

I'd like the option to save the current track (ride) individually. At the moment when I "export ride" it exports everything in the gps and the actual tracks relating to the ride I'm just finishing aren't named making them almost impossible to find.

The above points are key functions imo and I'm surprised they are missing.

These next items are just nice to haves.

In the user customizable menu it would be very useful to have the following items as fields:

Sunset time
    Sunrise time
    (useful for ride planning)

moving time
    moving average speed
    (again useful for planning while riding)

Lastly a couple of comments regarding the Ride Leader software.

Its very very basic!

I cant find how to change the units from imperial to metric. On the voyager unit I have the units set as metric but it seems Ride Leader can only see the information in the tracks in imperial.

I hope this info is useful
  18. Adventure Addict

Oddometer:

Touched a nerve? Seems so... funny how there is so much silence from the TT camp until someone makes a critical remark... Truth hurts?

Also funny how nobody has ever heard anything about a Voyager Pro until this posting, and a google search produced a hit on only this posting! There are couple more hits out there now, but still nothing more than a passing mention of the product. No specs, no features, nothing. Just some pictures showing it looks like little more than a fancy dashboard.

Unless the Pro will include the ability to load routable maps you are wasting your time and the niche is already served by the current Voyager.

BTW, Rideleader has a few unpleasant bugs in it that have not been resolved for over two years now. I hope you fix them before the Pro is released...

I used to be a big fan and supporter of TT but after my recent experiences with TT products and how the last few support requests fell on deaf ears (no response at all after repeated requests) I just cannot recommend TT products anymore.
  19. Adventure Addict

Oddometer:
    Don't hold your breath for any more software updates for the current Voyager... it hasn't been touched in over two years.

It is good as a track logger due to the large track point memory and ability to save tracks to the SD card. But for navigation pretty much all you get is the ability to display one of those tracks on the screen and follow it. You know you are off course if your current track line deviates from the line you are following. It works, but it is extremely basic. You cannot put any maps in it.

When you export the tracks it saves them with the date in the name, so they should be easy enough to find based on that. On long rides I was exporting daily so what I used to do is to clear the active track log after exporting so that the next export did not include remnants of the previous day's track. Kept things a bit cleaner and easier to manage later.

To change the units on Rideleader, just pick "options" from the "Edit" menu and there is a place to click to set english or metric units.

20. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not holding my breath but seeing as the question was asked "what updates are required?" I figured it would be worth answering especially as in the post it does say the current model will be continued.

Offroad where I am this is more or less what I need it to do. Maps here are not very good and the desert is pretty blank any way.

Having said that I think setting it up to navigate a series of waypoints in a route rather than one way point at a time is a basic feature and I'll be honest when I say I was quite shocked it doesn't do this.

I use the openmtbmap.org maps on my garmins and in Basecamp. Excellent project and includes lots of offroad info. I use them in Basecamp for route planning and on my Etrex for a nice bit of detail. I think trailtech would be worth researching this and looking at integrating them on future models

Unfortunately on mine it isn't exporting just the current track but the whole GPS full of data. Because I have lots of tracks loaded on to the device for navigation use its a pita. Plus the actual days tracks are hidden with no name.

I have just updated the software so maybe this has solved it but I couldn't find out what version it was running so have no idea if anything has changed

Cool, I have a look for that now

Another item for a software update would be a screen showing the current software installed. Maybe this exists but I haven't seen it

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk