Trailer behind TOAD on dolly... legal?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dentedvw, May 26, 2011.

1. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    I have heard that some states say that it can be done, but the first towed vehicle must be a 5th wheel. I am having trouble locating sources.
    My situation is a 31' diesel motorhome (was a bus, so the frame is stout) towing a Jeep Wrangler on a tow dolly, with a tiny utility trailer just big enough for a small dual sport. Running out of room in the motor home for another bike, is the main reason. Also, I really want to take my small trailer when I move to Utah.
    This happens next week. :rofl
    I hear it's a definite NO in Michigan, but we are only about two hours from the state line here, so I can have my passenger drive the Jeep to there.
    FWIW, all will have working lights, linked. If I can't do the trailer, I will have to find a way to put the bike on the tow dolly in front of the Jeep. Or somehow install a hitch on the front of the motorhome, and put a motorcycle tray there. :cry
    But, I will have a lot of use for the small trailer in Utah, trailering my DRZ to Moab, for example. I can use the dolly for that, but the utility trailer works so much better.
    Thoughts?
  2. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a used 20ft (or larger) trailer and tow your jeep and small trailer on that. Sell when you get done moving. Will tow better and safer than linking everything up and if you can take some time to sell you have a good chance of at least breaking even if no coming out ahead.
  3. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
  4. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the laws,but I have seen several guys pulling big boats,with a jet ski trailer behind it. No fifth wheels involved.
  6. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    It would be legal, even if the first towed vehicle is not a 5th wheel, here in Idaho.

I see it weekly, or rather daily after memorial day.
  7. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I've seen a two-trailer rig (I don't recall it being a 5th wheel) in Colorado.
  8. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    I would have bought a tandem axle trailer, if I had the coin. But it will cost me about a grand in gas just to get to SLC. :rofl
    Whew, moving isn't cheap. Not like when I could move everything in the back of a pickup truck.
  9. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a 32' motorhome and looked at all my options to have a cage and a bike with me. This is what I decided on, if you are younger or have a smaller bike you won't need the power loader.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    Pretty neat, but too late for me. The bus was sold in WY after a series of heart breaking problems, and the resulting decisions.
    I even sold the car dolly not long ago.

But all that has brought me here, to SLC, where I am supremely happy and have as many opportunities to look back on my life so far and muse "why the heck didn't I get here sooner?"

In two weeks, my beautiful loving and forgiving wife and amazingly resilient daughter will finally join me as we create our new life here in Utah. Life couldn't be much better.
  11. stuckinUT

stuckinUT I Wanna Ride!

Oddometer:
    What part of the valley are you in?
  12. little foot

little foot seriously not serious Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    link for the power loader please.
  13. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
  14. dentedvw

Oddometer:
    In Sandy for now, but in a few weeks we will be living in Woods Cross. If you want to ride, drop a line. The weather is holding, but maybe not for long. :evil
  15. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Ah, a new neighbor :D

<------------
  16. stuckinUT

stuckinUT I Wanna Ride!

Oddometer:
    Im in sandy too...PM sent.