Trailer or Hitch Carrier ??

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by DandyDoug, Mar 4, 2020.

1. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    I’ve got both. A VersaHaul and a 5x10 utility trailer w/mounted chock. I prefer the trailer when parking is not an issue, but the VersaHaul does the job just fine - I just spend a little more time looking in the rear view mirror. Adding the optional tail/brake lights is well worth it.

I’ve used the U-Haul trailers a few times and they are well designed and tow easily. At <$15/day they’re hard to beat for occasional use.
  2. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doug, I use a hitch carrier on the back of my SUV and it works fine. Bike bounces around a bit but you realize that's ok after awhile.

579D4142-DD17-4940-A6CC-DBC8378AF622.jpeg

It's a little hassle to set up but I have no place to store a trailer. I think a trailer would be easier to load and certainly easier to tie down your scooter securely.

Seems though that your pick up truck is the perfect way to transport the scooter. All you need is a decent ramp which would be much cheaper and easier to store than either a trailer or hitch carrier. Maybe useful for other tasks too.

I'm sure there would be plenty of help unloading at Eric's house.
    Bar None and The Virginian like this.
  3. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use ramps myself. I walk up one and throttle up the scooter on the other one. 4 quick straps, compress the forks some, and tighten them down. I compress the rear shocks some, and tighten those down. I brought the first BR home from Maine this way.
    I have Rhino Lining in my bed so it is NOT slippery at all.

But I do really like the look at the hitch haulers looking at how some of these are, maybe it's time to Upgrade.
    The Virginian likes this.
  4. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    5x8 trailer more useful for rallys, camping if you have a place to keep it. okeechobee.JPG My Yam RT-180 behind the open door and the BMW both made the trip and the trailer used as the chuckwagon
    rdhood, cheapeto and Salth2ofish like this.
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you think two Vespas would fit inside your 5x8? We're looking at picking up an enclosed trailer for the cannonball and want the smallest that will accommodate two Vespas.
  6. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! stagger the wheel hoops so the h/bars don't bump and tie down the rear of the bikes so they don't hop up & down.
    The BMW has quick detach bags,with those off it and my 03 Bonny fit easy
    rdhood likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Often the problem with scooters is the lack of good strap points. They are either plastic or non existent.

Grip mount strap systems work but damn hard on the throttle tube especially.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We've loaded 3 motos in one.
    Easy dude
    rdhood likes this.
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    We are looking at staggering and using chocks as well. It was suggested we'd need/want a 6x10 with vnose. We'll have in addition to 2 scooters 3-5 bins of tools and gear.
  10. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me when I bought my trailer in 1990 an open was more versatile, & I could move it around easy. Plus with 14 " wheels tires easy to find and it tows easy. I have owned a van of some type since the mid 70's so there was room to carry and secure stuff.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    We have a trailer in the bag that will carry two scooters and can be assembled/disassembled so that it takes up little garage space but we've found ourselves renting uhauls half a dozen times in the last few years for other things. Since we no longer have an SUV we need locking storage space for other things we need to carry along not just open trailer for the scoots. Since the amount of space taken up by an open trailer is exactly the same as an enclosed trailer there is no advantage to us to having an open trailer given we already have the trailer in a bag. Which we will continue to use for some trips.
  12. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    The extra length helps with tracking and backing. The extra width, while nice to have, may put the trailer (and axle) wider than the tow vehicle you use. Factor in reduced visibility, tow mirrors, parking, etc. and it can be more complicated.
    Bar None likes this.
  13. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Which is why if a 5’ will hold two scooter at least Vespa GTS size I’d rather go with 5’x10’. We plan on marking out with tape on the garage floor and testing out probably with boxes standing in for the side away from the wall just to make sure before plunking down cash.

the trailers we’ve rented were all 5x8 so I know width wise they are okay and I don’t think the extra length would be an issue.
    rdhood, The Virginian and MiniBike like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheryl,

I have a 5×10 landscape trailer and it will hold two GTS' if you stagger them. One pointed towards the front and one towards the back with no issues. Use wheel chocks and you're golden.

My one complaint on this trailer is the gate acts like a sail when towing and kills your MPG. I'm working on other alternatives.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    One of the reasons we went with the Featherlite 1610 (6'7" width, 8' length plus V-nose) is for the extra storage. Both scoots fit in there, strapped down in chocks, staggered to allow access from the side door. Room to put other stuff on the floor between them and on either side. Our use is more than just hauling the scoots: since we stay in one place for a couple months at a time, the trailer is also our "portable garage" - we can park them in there on their side stands, with just enough room to get around them. The Harbor Freight chocks we use can be partially removed (frame stays bolted to the floor, uprights removed) to eliminate shin-whacking.

I built a jacket rack across the V with a shelf above it to hold our riding gear. Tools and other stuff fit in the V. Good suspension, tows great. I appreciate the aluminum construction of the Featherlite. With the single axle, we can move it around by hand when necessary.

The chocks we use...

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

It just came up even cheaper on Amazon.

That chock fit my V-Strom, our PCXes, the Xmax, and my Vespa (I did have to drill a couple holes to get the Vespa further forward in the frame).

I did coat the ramp and floor with a textured paint (like Rhino-liner), that has worn well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DandyDoug and Salth2ofish like this.
  16. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Can you stagger without reversing direction? I'm not sure how you'd use a chock facing backwards in an enclosed trailer.

I know yours is 6.5' but that would require extenders on our tow vehicle so I'd definitely prefer 5' wide. Experimenting is required.
  17. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 5x8 open trailer, but have only transported one scooter in it. It would fit two if they were offset. My Downtown/Reflex/BV350 all fit through a 32 inch basement door, so that gives you and idea of how how much you can fit in a 5 foot width.
  18. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    To answer your question, yes if you stagger them so the handle bars aren't next to each other.
  19. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Versa Haul is one of the best hitch options. The GTV rides well on it.
    IMG_4072.JPG
    Salth2ofish and Bar None like this.
  20. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this one for $995 plus shipping but it seems all inclusive, manageable and easy to tuck away when not in use. Here.
    DandyDoug likes this.