Trails around Wurtsboro, NY ???

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by astrofil, Mar 24, 2008.

1. astrofil

astrofil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On Google Earth looks like is a lot of off road trails around Wurtsboro, NY. Any body has ridden around this town? any GPS logs ??? any help greatly appreciated
  2. GuyD

GuyD Banned

Oddometer:
    I live in Wurtsboro but only ride the street. There are loads of snow mobile trails around but a lot of them are closed to motorcycles when it's warm because of the erosion the bikes cause. Sorry to not be of more help, just funny to see the town that I live here. If you want great roads to ride on, there I can help you.
  3. astrofil

astrofil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about riding that snowmobile trails on the dirt bike ? Can you get on this trails going north all the way to the Catskill Park? As everybody knows is no legal places around NYC area to ride woods, but I known a lot of places where you can ride kind of illegally.
    Have you seen or know somebody who rides those trails on bikes ?
    I have seen a lot of dirt roads made by ATV crossing Highway 17 around Wurtsboro.
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dad lived in Wurtsboro and I know the area. The only legal albeit short trail i know of is VFW Road which is just off of old 17 right on the curve going up the hill to Bloomingburg. It is only a few miles long and dumps out onto 209.
  5. YankeeLake

YankeeLake OldGuy

Oddometer:
    Guys:

Talk about weird . . . . I was putting out feelers only the other day, for rides around the Wurtsboro area - and just happened along this link.

I think the DEC has pretty well shut down the only trail I know of - behind the Wurtsboro airport up on that hill toward Bloomingburg (access road along side of the new Kohl's distribution center); I rode that last year - neat trail, but some guys I met this year said the DEC is lurking around, just waiting to hear the sound of a dirtbike.

So . . . . if any of you guys want to hook up for a ride (if you know of anywhere?), send me an email at sprangerNY@aol.com. And I'll keep hunting around for somewhere to off-road.
  6. sflash868

sflash868 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to go 4 wheeling there a lot. It was a legal trail at some point since truck clubs used to hold gatherings there. The trails are closed but the service road is still open. There is like a play area along the service road that I see a lot of ATvs on a lot but that's about it. There are also beer cans and shot gun shells everywhere so watch out for dunk people.
  7. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:

VFW road was the start location for the Ellenville Big-Bike Massacree. :thumb That was a doozy. :wink: