trails end BMW

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vtbob, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

It boils down to customer service.I own a trucking company. We don't do our own service/mechanical work. ALL of our mechanical work in done by Fleet and Equipment in Big Lake. They have the best mechanics in the area.

Just like your business......with all the gravel trucks running in the summer....they are extremely busy. In the winter things slow down for them. Not much going on. They keep the same staff on winter and summer.

We take our trucks in there for service every 250 hours on the meter.....which is every 4 to 6 weeks. For a regular service they like a weeks notice.....no problem. However, when one of my trucks has a problem between services I just give them a call and explain the problem and send the truck right over. When the truck arrives, there is a "NASCAR type pit crew" there waiting for them. They get the truck back running "right now". If the truck can't make it to the shop...they send a service truck out...."right now." They take such good care of my trucks, I have only had to call their service truck out 4 times in the past 15 years.

I don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes or how they do it....but they do. They close Saturday at noon and are closed on Sunday. They have a mechanic with a service truck ready to go 24/7. I have his number. Did I mention......I have been EXTREMELY happy with their service.:deal

I don't know what it takes to run a motorcycle shop. BUT I get sick of listening about how busy dealers are in the summer and can't take proper care of their customers. That's why I called BS on the shop in Fairbanks. He doesn't know much about costumer service.

Please note.......My wife tried to buy a new BMW in your shop. The salesman kept talking to me instead of her.....pretty much pissed her off. On top of that you guys don't allow "test rides" on new bikes. I am not going to spend a penny on a bike we can't test ride. We went to NM and bought a BMW from a dealer down there. We were allowed to test ride it as long as we wanted....the wife loved it and we bought it.:deal

Bottom line is I hear you guys whining about how busy you are in the summer and can't handle all the business. I am calling BS on that too. I don't know how to run a motorcycle shop anymore than I know how to run a trucking mechanical shop. I have seen it done and know it CAN be done. You guys just haven't figured out how to do it....or don't care.:dunno

BTW....Whats the deal with no test rides on new bikes at your place???:huh
  2. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    I went to TMS this summer with money burning a hole in my pocket.

Do you have a GS Rallye? No
    Can you get me one? No but we have a triple black
    I want a white one? You can paint it
    You can't get me a Rallye? No and nobody has one you have to wait until next year

Funny that they got one in Fairbanks soon after and every dealer I call in the states has one ready to go.
  3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    TMS doesn't allow test rides either. Only shop that seems to throw they at you is HOH. I would like to see demo days at either shop as I hate asking people to ride thier bike. Oh and a twin KTM dealer in A-town.
  4. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    You can't get me a Rallye? No and nobody has one you have to wait until next year

Funny that they got one in Fairbanks soon after and every dealer I call in the states has one ready to go.[/QUOTE]

There are tons of Rally's down here. My brother in law bought a highly farkled one 3 weeks ago at a 10% off list discount in Colorado. Not exactly a rare bike...
  5. AJ990R

AJ990R motorcycle guy

Oddometer:
    :dhorse
  6. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    We don't and haven't allowed test rides because we sell new units. If you're buying a $20k+ motorcycle and you see 50/100/150 miles on it, that's not new. That's been our logic regarding test rides. We've been around since 1972 and it's worked since then. Is it the way to proceed in the future? It's being discussed...

2013 KTM Twins are being released in Jan/Feb, expect something to happen...

When someone buys a new bike, and I'm sure Trails End is the same way, we cater hand and foot to them. If there's a problem, we're fixing regardless. If a customer decides to spend money in our place of business, you better believe I'll do everything in my power to take care of them.

HOWEVER, if someone from out of town shows up with no notice demanding service when we're taking care of people who have waited patiently for their work to be done, guess what...we aren't going to drop at a moments notice. If all the person needs is a pair of eyes on his tire, that's no big deal, but if they show up demanding 30k services with NO lead time, that's more of a challenge to our small service department.

My point here is no one from our shop, and I'm sure Trails End will agree, is complaining about how busy we are! That's ludicrous to complain about TOO MUCH business. We are simply saying that good help is damn hard to find, and in order to keep quality high, sometimes we're forced to work with less, meaning we can't always take care of the customer as well as we want to.

Does that mean we're bitching about how busy we are? NO, absolutely not, we love it, and I'm sure Trails End is the same. We're so lucky to have great customers like you all out there both in state and out, in country and abroad!

I would love to have a "nascar" (from Jeff Gordon's team, they're the best) style pit crew, but I have what I have, and I stand behind my business 110%, but I'm always looking to improve!

Last two points:

Regarding upsetting your wife, I'm very sorry. It's a male dominated industry and that can produce some unwanted stereotypes. If you come back in the shop (and I understand if you don't) you'll see that salesman doesn't work here any longer...

R1200GS Rallye: We had one, had it at the show, eventually sold it at the end of May. We had if for more than enough time, but we only got one. BMW has changed the way they allocate bikes in favor of pure volume. It's ridiculous because it impedes a shops growth by giving favors to those who already have volume. If we're killing it for AK, that's a drop in the bucket for any large dealer down south, thus preventing us to get the units we want.

It sounds like you got a smart ass answer to your question, and I'm sorry. Sometimes we jest, and that can turn south. Sometimes our frustration with BMW corporate can come out in less than professional answers.

Lastly, as far as getting one from another dealer, with our other brands its way easy, but BMW is a bit more of a challenge. That said a dealer trade is possible, and if you ever need a unit we don't have, I'll work my short statured rump off finding it for you. If I can't get it, I'll tell you where to go.
  7. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    BMW has a Demo program. Many dealers participate in it. Bike gets x amount of miles on it (2500) and it sells for a discounted price. Our dealer usually has the latest greatest on the lot outside for demo rides. Pickup late on a Saturday return when they open on Tuesday. Several hundred miles is a real test ride! :lol3
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trails End has participated in the test ride program, for some bikes at least. I and a few others I know have taken test rides on bikes there. I rode a F800GS and I know others that rode a SS1000R, a K1600GT and a F650GS.

By the way, if you want to pee on Justin's leg again you should wait a week or so. He will be competing in the GS Trophy Challenge qualifier in Moab, UT. Spousal unit and I will be down there watching Justin as well as Hacky show their stuff. I know you all wish them both success. :thumb
  9. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck in Moab, Justin. Kind of wish I had the time to get over there, just to shake your hand. Seems like if its going to be a tough challenge, you got plenty of practice in with this thread :lol3

Both dealerships did us well in 2009, when 4 of us came up there. :clap Dont tell anyone, but i remember some British guys wrenching on their bikes in the parking lot on Potter. And, my buddy did the strip down on his GS to get tires changed in Fairbanks, in the parking lot. Didnt think about it at the time, but we got tires changed even tho we walked in off the street.

Being in a service company myself, I do like the idea of the shops being open 7 days a week to meet the customer's needs. But it will definitely be an issue finding staff to cover those days.​
  10. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    Hey guys... I'm going to have to resuming waving my dick around a little later...

Currently I'm in BC, Canada trying to make it to the GS Trophy West Coast Qualifier in Moab, UT. I got set back a day and a half when I developed a nasty infection in my elbow! :cry Most likely from all my dick waving! :lol3 It was looking like I would need to turn back for Alaska yesterday but some improvement has me pushing on today.

They are thinking more that it may be Burcitis (sp?) now. They've wrapped my IV up so I can get a motorcycle glove over it and push on to Prince George. :huh I'm feeling much better today. The Canuck Docs want me to get IV antibiotics for a bit longer until the swelling and redness shows a more accelerated retreat.

No travel insurance. Highly unlikely I'll be covered under my current health insurance. This will be a huge kick in the financial ding ding for sure. :cry

But Moab is still almost in sight, so I'm sticking to optimism now. Getting on the bike for a 4 hour push to P.G. will re-evaluate then.

Keeping more up to date posts here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trails-End-BMW/235675129806997

and tonight I hope to add to the blog: www.trailsendbmw.blogspot.com

I also have a spotwalla real time map going: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=55de50500417d7778

Oh and Brendon... Thanks for picking up the ball on this thread for now. I appreciate the help. :wink:

Trail's End has a Rallye Edition R1200GS on the floor and ready to go... just send me an email: trailsendbmw@gmail.com We've got a nice selection for anyone looking to stare at their new bike all winter long and farkle the nuts out of it!

Happy Bitching everyone! (whoops that must be the meds talking...) I'll be back to do some more dick waving after Moab. We got a long cold winter ahead of us in Fairbanks. Plenty of time to keep this thread going. :lol3
  11. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    Anytime, dealers have to stick together!

Good luck!
  12. interiorak

interiorak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brendon:

Good answer . .. and true. I can vouch for that fact. When the Outpost couldn't find the Beemer i was looking for in a timely manner . . . said you had 'em in stock.

:nod
  13. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I was about to post a new thread asking for some advice and came across this thread:

I have no experience with Trail End so I can't say a thing about them but I've had plenty of experience with TMS and can't say I've been to impressed. There maybe some great mechanics there but I have to say the customer services is lacking and the prices do not reflect the service I receive. The good thing that has come out of my experiences with TMS is that I've learned to do a lot of my own maintenance but the time to do it is always an issue which is why I'd like to pay someone to do it for me until this year...
    This summer I called the fore mentioned shop 6 weeks in advance, made an appointment and told them what parts I needed to have ordered to do the repairs I requested...long and short of it is that there was a total failure in their system. The had no record of my appointment when I showed up, no parts were ordered :mad?, I had a list of things I wanted done and it was 1 month before D2D. They had my bike 3 weeks, someone kept forgetting to get around to it, or was it the parts still weren't order after my bike sat there for 2 weeks :becca or was it some BS story about a manager leaving and no one could get their stuff together...? Well I finally got my bike back with half my list covered, a botched job on my heated grips (which I really don't want to go back and have them try again) and I had to do back flips to get a 50$ discount which I suggest should be called an inconvience credit. Oh, and did I mention that I bought my bike from them too.
    So my original question; Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable BMW mechanic in town? Feel free to PM me.
  14. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Brendon@TMS

Oddometer:
    PM'd

And sorry to have let you down, hopefully I can make it up to you!
  16. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    People tend to get into the motorcycle business out of a passion for motorcycles. Not until they do the begin to realize it's a lot more work than anticipated. They find themselves helping other people to ride and Well sacrifice their own ridding. For some this becomes a passion and they do well in the motorcycle industry. The ones that do not Make their passion helping other people end up leaving the motorcycle biz. I've seen the people at The Motorcycle Shop Work late into the evening, Come in on their days off, Invite total strangers Broke down Into their own homes at their their own expense. Little things That mean the world to people thousands of miles from home. It's sad But there is some truth In the old saying .You can't please everyone. I assure you they want to please everyone. Hey I'm planning a trip It's going to be a couple years 15,000 miles Key west, to Prudhoe, via a zig zag through the Midwest. Plan on hitting Dawson for Fighters yearly rally. Can I show up at quarter to 5 on Saturday Get some new tires and a oil and filter change, might need some brake pads to. Don't worry ill order and pay for everything in advance so you are sure to have what I need. I don't want my failure to plan something out become your problem or be your fault.
  17. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh:eek1:huhRALLY?
    :ddog:ddog:ddogWTF?:nono

:rofl:rofl:rofl :bubba
  18. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Petro, deny it all you want but it is a big, organized, committee run RALLY now. :nod
    :cry
  19. motorbike_mike1

motorbike_mike1 Gearhead

Oddometer:
    I know I know, I still remember the very first one, planned by three or four guys and I think Fighter ended up going by himself. Any event that has morphed into an annual event and can sell tee shirts, hats and other. trinkets has transcended a simple ride / gathering.who would have thunk it?
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]