Training course for offroad riding (SF bay area or AZ)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by lightfox, Jul 25, 2019.

1. lightfox

lightfox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I've been riding a street bike for 7 years and want to explore offroad riding. Are there any classes that provide bikes and will teach offroad riding to a beginner? I live in the San Francisco bay area and often visit Phoenix, so somewhere near there would be best. I'd also consider other places that are a short flight away from the bay area but that's less ideal.
  2. borderxx

borderxx ifalldown

Oddometer:
    Watching this... I could always use a "tune up" on my skills, or lack thereof.
  3. nrvale0

nrvale0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a trials group that does training up around Sac though I don't have the name of the group nor their trainer atm. Google trials motorcycles if you've not heard of it. Arguably a better way to improve offroad skills than going to a SM, flat track, or MX school.

Down around Santa Cruz/San Jose there's Brian Garrahan of Garrahan Racing. Can vouch for that one. http://garrahanoffroadtraining.com/

Rich Oliver's Mystery School is over near Yose. Can vouch for that one as well.

Jimmy Lewis is in Pahrumph, NV. That's a great one but gets spendy with flight + school + bike rental.

All three of these guys are real characters.

Keep me in the loop via PM. I'm just getting my 450 back together and thinking about buying a trail bike in the 250-300 range so I might tag along. Also have a moto van.
    lightfox and NSFW like this.