tranferring google maps route into garmin?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sonic578, Mar 21, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    My experience is limited to the 60csx and Zumo 550, but I found that neither did a lot to make the like of a dual sport rider easier. The 60 had a small screen, was hard to see while moving, not easy to interact with, and was really designed to be used while on foot (where it shines). The Zumo was great for traveling on roads where routes work, but uploading a track of an off road trip rendered it nearly worthless. I started creating custom routable trail maps that made the Zumo work well but it was a lot of effort, I mean a LOT of effort (photo below).

[​IMG]

So I finally gave in, created the dualsportmaps.com website so I could have track authoring tools that didn't suck, as MapSource did, for offroad (no satellite maps) and then went about creating an Android dual sport navigation system. Its all I use now and I've never been happier. Here is my system in action. I even created a remote control so you can interact without taking your hands off the bars.

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess it comes down to personal preferences, but I think my Garmin 60 and Mapsource work awfully well for planning and navigating off-road motorcycle trips. I ride about 50 days and maybe 7000 miles a year almost entirely offroad.

I switch back and forth between City Navigator and old Topos for planning. And I try to get tracks by other riders from either dualsportmaps.com or GPSXchange whenever possible. I also rely a lot on paper Benchmark Road and Recreation maps for getting the big picture for trip planning.

I "navigate" using tracks and not routes. Other than occasionally zooming in and out, I do not and do not want to interact a lot with the GPS while I am riding.

I admit I cannot see the screen on my 60 when I am riding into the sun on sunny days. And this gets very annoying at times. I have a Ram mount, so I can sometimes swivel the unit around so I can see it better, but sometimes I just have to stop and orient myself so the sun is hitting the screen.
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You can use tools like DSM to do your planning when MapSource lets you down, so if the 60 works for you then you are good to go (the Zumo and Nuvi don't really work well since they have track point limits for their Route conversion thing).

With the fancy computers so many people have sitting in their pockets these days, I think software that makes your one device do everything you need is the future. Reduce, reuse, recycle! I just picked up a broken Android phone for literally nothing and fixed it for $30 in parts in tools. I just got a backup GPS. That's tough to beat!

Have you checked out the new New Mexico map overlays that got uploaded to the site the last few days?

4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    99.9% of my riding is on some sort of road, My neck and back are too screwed up now to risk an off that could leave me paralized....nipples down as the surgen said! So, I'm a on road adventure rider now. So saying that the NUVI 550 should be OK for me. I found your program much easier than what I had of Basemap ......but I still need to get routes, tracks whatever over from whatever into my 550.
    That is the $64,000 question......how to do it the easiest way for a non tech noob who has difficulty dealing with the simplist operation PC wise.:cry

So, if you have a very simple way for me to get a route planned for my Toronto to Inuvik toVancouver Island and back to Toronto....I'm all ears.....seriously!!! I have done it after hours of using just the GPS, but want a easier way.

Please....any help would be fantastic!:freaky
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Have you followed these instructions yet? This is where I would start.

6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to still purchase Mapsource first.....that is no-one in the know tells me that I can use Google maps as easy?:deal
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Like I said before, I don't think MapSource is available anymore it has been end of lifed. It was replaced with Basecamp which is free from Garmin. Google Maps can do little of use for you because of the limitations of your GPS. In fact without having the maps that are on your Nuvi in Basecamp I don't think you will be able to use it to make suitable routes for your Nuvi either (to make routes you need to have the same map in your PC and on your Nuvi). You may have to make very low track point tracks on DSM and then upload them to the Nuvi in little pieces, if necessary, to make it do what you want.

8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have downloaded Basemap from Garmin yesterday, but couldn't get it to do what I could using your program.

I'll try again tomorrow.....thanks:freaky
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Mapsource is still available from Garmin, you have to have a previous version loaded (or you can just download Basecamp then it will let you download Mapsoruce 6.16.3). No maps included though.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes I saw them. I assume you are referring to the Cibola NF maps. Very nice.

BTW I still love your site and try to check it out every couple of days to see what's new. I have passed the link onto to many others, and most really like it (at least those who are into mapping and such).

It would be awfully nice if contributors would put a little more descriptive info into their uploads about where a track is. The map search feature makes this noncritical but I would still like it.
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    There are Lincoln NF maps uploaded as well.
    I agree, a lot of maps are not as well described as we would like. You can leave notes in the comments to help clarify things the the poster ignored though.

12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I called Garmin yesterday and talked to a very sweet young woman for hours it seemed. I told her what my problem was, GPSwise that is and asked why????....augh!
    She said no problem, let me hook mine up as we speak! It seems they have a collection of all GPS's within arms length to plug in as they diagnos the problem with you to help you understand the solution button by button commands.
    The NUVI 500 and NUVI 550 can receive routes from MapQuest with a single click of the mouse, send, GPS...done....she did it. and I could see how she was doing it on my GPS. But for some reason my PC won't allow the maps to be transferred as her's was allowing. It recognized the GPS as a harddrive etc, but wouldn't deposit the map into it. She got me to do some simple tests and it seems that my PC won't allow only MayQuest to do as it should. The GPS acts like it's supposed to from what we were doing, and will accept the route if it's given it.

So....long story ----short....the NUVI 500 and NUVI 550 will accept routes. They are both motorcycle friendly and waterproof. Which means Garmin will cover any vibration or water damages....just don't do as I did and try and take it apart before sending it back for servicing......augh!

Now I will call MapQuest and deal with them possibly tomorrow if my headache has gone by then.....augh! The woman from Garmin couldn't have been more helpfull if she tried! Perfect customer service. She was determined to help and figure out my issue, trying everything possible to solve the problem.:freaky
  13. blackSP

blackSP 62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer:
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
  15. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Well motherfugder.....

I spent countless hours trying to figureout how to get the routes to snap to the road :baldy

I have been using the web site RidewithGPS to plan my rides and it has a gpx converting funtion, now I can use the files and not spend even more hours to program the route into the GPS manually. :becca

Thanks all!!!
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    That looks very promising ... anybody try it out yet?
    It looks like it builds a series of waypoints which the Garmin (or whatever) would convert to a route by picking the closest roads?
    I really have no experience with this as yet.....

I was at a show recently and there was a guy there from Twisted Throttle that is a 1/2-way RTW guy ...
    He said he used “My Map Maker” or “My Map Making” or something like that ....
    He apologized for not knowing it exactly ... he didn't have his laptop with him....
    I have been unable to find the app. he was talking about, but it was the same objective...
    Load a Google Maps route into a Garmin GPS.
    Does that one ring any bells with folks?

THANKS!
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Here's what I think I understand ...

BaseCamp is apparently Garmin's replacement for MapSource

In the specs. for BaseCamp it says it can import KML & KMZ files starting with V3.3.1

Google Maps can export a map to KML format if you first save the route to "My Maps" ...

Does this make us good?

(I have Nuvi 500 if it matters)
  18. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.. tried both sites listed above, and can't figure out how to draw on the maps. Maybe it's because I don't read Russian, which is what I think the characters are. No toolbar up top, so I can't click on a tool.

1911fan
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Hey 1911fan ... I kinda had it working but right now it does seem a bit hosed........
    There is another thread over here that is worth reading:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818182

H-D has an on-line tool that is more clever than the above (IMHO), and a new version of BaseCamp is comming out soon........
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, better now and I can figure out how it works.

I am trying to map out routes on Forest Circus roads, and by the time I get zoomed in enough to show them, it's such a small area that trying to connect the dots is hard to do because you can't see the start and the finish of your route. For example, Stampede Pass to Hwy 410, overland instead of pavement.

How are you guys doing this?

1911fan