Trans Ʌmerica | BEV RҲ Demonstrator Project

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Muiraine, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Muiraine

Muiraine Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Fossil-Fuel to Electric Drive Vehicle Conversion Project
    Primary Goal:
    These are battery-electric drivetrains and compact range extender, with intended offerings to be Open Source and Proprietary based Direct Drop-in Alternatives for Internal and External Combustion Engined Vehicles.

Test Mules: Liter scale motorcycles will be converted to electric in such a way as to render their electric nature virtually indistinguishable by a casual inspection and ride from their pre-conversion state.
    *Note: The concept includes ADV Motorcycle Trailers

Demonstration: Real-Life Experience Trans America Trail Camp Tour from the Marin Headlands of California to the coastal city of Beaufort, South Carolina on a single tank of fuel.

Trans America Trail or TAT
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_America_Trail
    A roughly 5,000-mile (8,000 km) cross-continent vehicular route, intended to be a way to cross the United States using a minimum of paved roads for leisure. The trail is largely traveled by riders of motorcycles who can choose to be self-sufficient by camping, often rough (or wild camping), motel supported or vehicle supported.

Marin Headlands of the San Francisco Bay Area
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_Headlands
    A hilly peninsula at the southernmost end of Marin County, California, United States, located just north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge, which connects the two counties and peninsulas. The entire area is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and is famous for its views of the Bay Area. The center point of the Marin Headlands skyline is the 920-foot Hawk Hill, the lookout point for the largest known flight of diurnal raptors in the Pacific states.

Beaufort, South Carolina
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort,_South_Carolina
    Beaufort is located on Port Royal Island, in the heart of the Sea Islands and South Carolina Lowcountry. The city is renowned for its scenic location and for maintaining a historic character by preservation of its antebellum architecture.

The city has been featured in the New York Times and named "Best Small Southern Town" by Southern Living, a "Top 25 Small City Arts Destination" by American Style, and a "Top 50 Adventure Town" by National Geographic Adventure.

HW/SW Systems Integration and Testing Site
    The Trans Ʌmerica BEV RҲ Demonstrator would benefit from the donation of workspace for hardware and software integration and testing. Said space would be an unfinished garage or ground floor work area within a mixed-use industrial building.
    • Spatial dimensions would be approximately 30’ deep and between 35’ to 45’ width or 1,050 to 1,350 sq ft with power suited systems integration with hand and power tools.

• Space must be secure enough for unsupervised storage of tools and sensitive testing equipment.

• The site use would involve frequently late hours and all-nighters. One staff, at most two would be resident camping with sleeping cots, fridge, hot plate, portable cassette toilet.
    Muirén Ní Sídach
    She, Her, Product Architect
    ΛrTintrí Ξlektromotive Cooperative
    artintri.com | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Personal Blog
    m.ni.sidach@artintri.com
  2. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my DR650 from San Jose, CA to the start of the TAT in NC and rode it all the way to the Idaho TAT. I had to fill up quite a number of times. I think fuel was the biggest expense right next to food. Good luck. So you are basically making a hybrid gas/electric motorcycle?
  3. jsinclair

jsinclair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We own a BMW i3 with the range extender, it's impressive what you can do with just a 35hp range extender in a relatively aerodynamic car.

I would love to have a bike like my super tenere work the same way. Unfortunately motorcycles just are not aerodynamic enough.
  4. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    35HP on the i3?:scratch Might be a bit off on that. I show 181HP and 199 ft/lb torque.
  5. jsinclair

jsinclair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The range extender engine only makes that much power, as it's a de tuned 650 scooter engine. We drove 1,200 miles in the past few days, relying just on the engine.
    The car is 100% electric drive, the rex engine simply charges the battery. Generally speaking if you keep your speed below 75 the engine is able to keep up and you don't "use" any of your battery state of charge.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Ah, forgot about the gas generator on the car for range. Makes sense.
    jsinclair likes this.
  7. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    "Demonstration: Real-Life Experience Trans America Trail Camp Tour from the Marin Headlands of California to the coastal city of Beaufort, South Carolina on a single tank of fuel."

found the small print: :rofl
    [​IMG]

But in all seriousness I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this thread/project. I'm skeptical of a single tank of fuel but open minded and looking forward to being surprised. If the ICE generator is set to produce power at its most efficient rpm perhaps that will help overcome the inherent inefficiencies of the power conversion process.

The VW concept car comes to mind which was designed to travel 100km on 1 liter of diesel. It was a hybrid electric/diesel design. So if that were succesful it could travel 5000 miles on about 25 gallons of diesel. perhaps a motorcycle that looks more like a throat lozenge with optimized aerodynamics and a sufficient tank would see the desired result.
  8. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MPG with range extender engine ?