Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Apr 29, 2015.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Matt - Drop them a line at Giant Loop. I was testing a pre-production set, but I think they will be available soon...

Jx
  2. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huge, thanks,
  3. backwoodsrider60

backwoodsrider60 n00b

Oddometer:
    You obviously have never ridden in the real northeast. I grew up, and am still exploring, endless miles of awesome off- road terrain in northern New York and Vermont. Check it out sometime and report back with an educated view.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I think that was exactly the point phreakingeek was making in reply to what jetpilot had said...

...enjoy the rest of the ride report ;o)

Jx
  5. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    I think his comment was meant tongue-in-cheek, hence all his offroad pictures in the post. :thumb
  6. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Stumbled across this report at about 2pm and finished at 11pm. I have been sucked into this, hook, line and sinker. What an excellent report! Thank you for taking the time to put it all together. From route selection, to gear and bike mods...everything was just stellar.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    jenny, awesome rr.

interesting to see the 500 and your set up. never seen anything like that before, and the GL looks good, i love mine.

cheers.
  8. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Like others, I am always searching for the perfect ADV bike. I have had 250's and 1700's. I have concluded that smaller, simpler, less expensive and economical is best. A 500cc twin hits my sweet spot!

Attached Files:

• u8b2.jpg
      u8b2.jpg
      File size:
      588.7 KB
      Views:
    TheWalkman likes this.
  9. TheWalkman

TheWalkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RBRHSV,

And don't forget "lighter"!
  10. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    YES! Lighter is always better. Having done several thousand miles on a WR250R (TAT and COBDR), I seldom wanted a heavier bike.
    Planning a ride to Alaska in 2016 and a 500cc seems like a good compromise for 50/50 dirt and highway.
    JMo (& piglet) and Dave1899 like this.
  11. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been one of the most enjoyable travel reports I've ever read, with dozens of unique, beautiful photos.And I did gained much information.
    visualizerent likes this.
  12. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    Love riding the Shaffer Switchbacks! Hoping to do the White Rim Trail in may 2016 - maybe on a CB500X Adventure?
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Rbrhsv! - do it! The CB500X Adventure would eat it up, and you'd have a lot of fun!

As you say above, this 500cc twin (actually 471cc of course) really is the sweet-spot now. Before Honda introduced this engine, every twin cylinder 'adventure' bike was physically much larger and heavier - the CB500 really does offer 80mph all-day road performance, but in a usefully smaller package - so is more akin to a 650cc thumper off-road in that regard.

In fact I was so impressed with the CB as an all-round overlander during this trip that I've recently bought my own:

[​IMG]

To be converted with a full LEVEL 3 Adventure kit of course!

Jenny x
  14. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    Agreed! The 500cc (471...) twin seems like such an obvious choice for the manufacturers. I owned a V-Strom 650 (and rode the eastern TAT) but it was too low, wide and heavy.
    Having ridden the AZBDR and western TAT on a WR250R, a 500 seems like a big bike.
    I guess the whole American bravado of "bigger is better" is driving the sales of 1000cc and 1200cc "adventure" bikes. (I rode the UTBDR on my Triumph 800XC.)
    But in the real world, lean and light and simple and economical will actually rack up more miles - versus dreaming of riding while your big hulk of a bike gathers dust.
    JMo (& piglet) and visualizerent like this.
  15. Dave1899

Dave1899 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats Jenny on becoming a CB500X owner, what a brilliant decision!
    rsteiger likes this.
  16. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone come up with a footpeg relocation kit for the 500x? I test road one and it seemed the pags were back just a bit further than I prefer

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Ron - if you check in on the main CB500X thread, someone on there has suggested something in the past (Motowerk I think?)... however, as I understand it, all they do is relocate the pivot point for the pegs, the brake and gear levers remain in their original positions, which may not be ideal...

Rally-Raid will ultimately be producing a pair of billet replacement footrest hanger plates that will include billet brake and gear levers that do move in relation to the pegs as well - keep an eye on the Vendor thread for more info.

Jx
    visualizerent likes this.
  18. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
    I enjoyed your ride report too.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
  19. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the visit JMo - and for the cool momento from the TransAm 500 Tour! It will hang proudly at Giant Loop.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Jen ! ! just went through the entire report, YOU ARE AWESOME little lady, thanks so much for the report, my son just bought a 500X and I fore see many adventures with him.

Inspiring person you are.