Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Apr 29, 2015.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Thaihaggis - I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for your kind words!

If you've not seen them already, do check out the links to the subsequent ride reports a couple of posts above - Northern eXposure was from 2017 on a CB500X again [my own personal bike this time], and Beemer Beemer' is from this summer on the G310GS.

Jenny x
  2. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Jenny I realize this is a really old post but I found it following a link and was hoping to ask you a couple questions?

3. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha, that's more than a couple Ricky, but here we go:

3. 1/4 inch fixed T handle - ideal for getting more leverage, and as a second tool. I use this a lot.
    I love these also but found I probably depend on the small 1/4" size too much and have often snapped them. Any particular brand you would recommend that is stronger. (The ones I've snapped have all been motion pro I believe...)

You shouldn't be snapping a MotionPro one - if you are then you're putting too much force through it, so need to use a larger tool (3/8th) for the job - generally speaking 1/4" drive only goes up to 13/14mm socket size, which tends to be an M8 bolt, and most fixings on a bike would typically be M6 threads that don't require a huge amount of torque.

note. My kit also includes a 3/8th drive (in the MotionPro tyre lever) for larger bolts such as engine mounts etc.

6. Motorcycle size jumper cables (not shown, stowed under the seat).
    If you've got a link to quality compact moto jumper cables I'd love them! I've often depended on small Lipo emergency jump starters. I've had bad luck with those lately though as I went thru 3 of them while searching for electrical gremlins on my CB500 and still using it as a daily commuter. Long ago I had a smaller version with a "lightening" somewhere in the name that lasted a lot longer....

I forget where I got mine - I think it was from a motorcycle shop at some point - but a quick noodle on ebay is your best bet.

8. Small can of chain lube.
    On long trips I don't carry anything and just stop in from time to time at 3rd world country mechanics who always put engine oil on the chain. Curious what you think of the long term effects of that are? For what it's worth I didn't really have any chain issues on the CB500 till about 40K KM and coming from the 690 that seemed really good.

Engine oil is fine from a lubrication point of view, although it doesn't really cling very well, so can quickly fly off at higher speeds and make a mess of your bike/luggage/trouser leg.

14. Tube of Quik-Steel.
    I always carry a tube of this as well BUT have found when I need it it's already catalyzed.... I'm assuming the way I'm carry it and thousands of KM of vibrations cause that? Any special way to carry it?

I've found that if the ambient temperature is high then the Quiksteel can start to soften and congeal in the tube over time, but generally you only have to snip about half an inch off the end and then use the fresh stuff in the middle. If you're worried about wasting it, perhaps only take half a tube with you at a time/trip and leave the rest at home?

18. The OEM front brake and clutch levers as spares.
    Just curious if there was a reason you carry these as opposed to the shortys RR sells? I like the shorty's, they're pretty cheap and I figured they'd take less space but thought maybe I was missing something? (I am guessing the answer is that you have them! :) )

Yes, I had the Rally-Raid ones fitted to my bike, so took the OEM ones as spares - no point in buying another set of RR ones. Subsequently I don't even bother with taking the OEM ones these days, the RR billet shorty levers inside the BarkBusters are more than strong enough and well-protected.

[​IMG]

3/8"drive 17mm socket and 17mm hex for front axle (these fit together very neatly of course!)
    Thanks! Hadn't thought of that! :)

Yep. And if you want to save even more space, I cut the 17mm hex section off my RR wheel spanner, and just slipped that inside the 17mm socket.

1/4" adaptor and a section of bits inc. 3/4/5/6/8mm Allen key, T15/20/25 Torx and a flat blade and Phillips screwdriver.
    Is it a 2 or 2.5mm Allen to loosen "lock nut" on the tractive shock?

I don't recall - most likely 2.5mm (the various tips are stowed in the end of the TracTive tool). To be honest, once I've set up my bike I don't need to adjust the preload/sag anyway - as I very rarely travel with more than my regular luggage load, which is plenty light enough anyway.

If you do feel the need to adjust your preload regularly, the optional hydraulic preload adjuster for the RR shock is the way to go - it's what i had on the G310GS last year for example.

There you go - I hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x
    slime, Baba Al and ThirtyOne like this.
  4. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny... that was a thorough answer for free!
    I knew I was expecting too much out of my 1/4" T wrench... I think the last time I snapped it was on the footpeg hanger bolts - a pretty big Allen head for a 1/4" drive! Was just curious if Snap-on or someone else made one out of unobtanium to keep things light, small and simple!
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Ricky - no worries ;o) - certainly the best [quality] one I've found is the MotionPro one (although there are plenty of copies on the market too), but I see they no longer make the folding kind, just the welded straight T-handle version - which I tend to use at home, but fits under the CB seat too if you wanted?

for info. I still keep my folding one as part of my 'pocket' tool kit that I use between different bikes, but since my Northern eXposure trip in 2017 and last year's Beemer Beemer Chicken Deener trip on the G310GS, you'll see I've replaced the folding handle with a separate 1/4" ratchet and 4" extension bar (plus an extra sliding T handle end):

[​IMG]

...which may or may not be a little stronger - but it is certainly more versatile around the bike.

Ultimately though as I suggest, anything much larger than an M8 threaded bolt and/or a 13mm hex-socket head really needs a 3/8th drive for extra torque.

Jx
    slime, Kerrmitt and ThirtyOne like this.