Trans America 2020 on a Yamaha WR250r

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RacingBlue, Jun 26, 2020.

1. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way, I wouldn't do that! I'm saving that for Baja...
    overlander likes this.
  2. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BIG CONGRATS on your ride! What an accomplishment!

Thanks for bringing us along. Great pics and fun writing, a very enjoyable report. It was really fun to follow you in close to real-time. And yes, I was squirming the extra day...worried you had broken down or something worse.

Anyway, your report very helpful to me in my life right now, so thanks again. And doing your ride solo is just extra cool and inspiring.

All the best to you in future endeavors and rides, and look forward to the epilogue. Follow those thoughts about moving to SLC. The West is where it's at, and the riding is way mo bettah.

Btw, for planning purposes, what is the temp rating on your sleeping bag that left you so cold in Oregon? Were you sleeping in thermals with hat?
  3. SPS7

SPS7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on what looks like a fantastic ride! Great reading and enjoyed your photos. Living on a relatively small island i can but be envious of the opportunities you have for some great rides.
    Thanks for sharing and safe travels home.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job! Stuck with it, and overcame many obstacles, that will serve you well in life. You will remember this trip for the rest of your life.
    overlander and RacingBlue like this.
  5. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Well done! I can imagine both your grin and your Dad's! Swimming was a nice touch. It was nice to see the "community" jump in and support your re-route. Yes, that boulder field on the narrow mountain road is on Kevin's route (see Jeremy Rhyde's YouTube TAT video ). Go do great things! The TAT is an adventure, but so is life! God's richest blessings!
    MotoRojo, overlander and RacingBlue like this.
  6. Shifting2Third

Shifting2Third n00b

Oddometer:
    Great job, RacingBlue! As many have already said here, you'll reflect on this journey the rest of your life. Very, very pleased to see you having done the whole enchilada. Just think, when you're sitting in upcoming job interviews and asked about your abilities to plan, execute, persist against adversity, interact well with others, and complete projects, you can draw a slow smile across your face and tell some (or all!) of this story. It was a lot of fun for us to follow you on your journey. Thank you very much for putting in the additional effort to chronicle it so well here. The writing and photography were terrific. Keep riding till you're old and gray...and then a little longer after that. Safe travels back east.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  7. Ron In Buffalo

Ron In Buffalo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your ride this was a great read. I pick your story up on day 3. Been following it since then. Good luck with whatever you decide to do from here.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  8. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    On a frayed cable and a prayer!
    Great experience and especially so as you shared it with your dad. Makes it extra special.
    Enjoyed the write up, sense of humor, and wonderment.
    Not a shabby "base" of experience in motorcycle travel I would say!
    Looking forward to your "lessons learned" planning segment. Hope to run it next summer.
    Cheers!
    MotoRojo, overlander and RacingBlue like this.
  9. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Great RR and story. It's awesome seeing these little Yamahas out there kicking butt. Congratulations on the success of your trip.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  10. tankhead

tankhead Path less traveled

Oddometer:
    Most excellent report. The first time (out of 3) I traveled across the country and posted here was in 2008. All of those feelings of wonderment and adventure came rushing back to me while reading your report. Seeing all of the beautiful new topographical changes and new colors and smells. Wonderful experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this here.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  11. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's to many more "biscuits", in your life. :beer
    RacingBlue likes this.
  12. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I seem to recall Oregon being much harder on the older TAT ride reports, much more technical and people getting lost on the trails. Has Sam changed the route a bunch?
    RacingBlue likes this.
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely Done!!
    RacingBlue likes this.
  14. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the time and effort you put in just to include us on your trip. I'm happy for you that you made it happen but sad for me the RR is about finished.
    Good Luck on what ever awaits you.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on finishing your journey and thank you for sharing it with us!

What's next? :D :freaky
    RacingBlue likes this.
  16. JFortner5

JFortner5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got in on this late and just started reading a few days ago. What an awesome trip and you tell the the story so well.

I’m adding this to my bucket list.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  17. B-ManFX4

B-ManFX4 2 Wheels Are Better Than 1 Or 4 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats !! Well done !!
    RacingBlue likes this.
  18. Javelinky

Javelinky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for RR. Congrats
    RacingBlue likes this.
  19. flashbang

flashbang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for sharing your ride.Glad everything turned out in the end,been with you since day one,good to see young people doing good things.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  20. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Racing blue is a young feller--------------so maybe I can answer this better having ridden Sam's first versions in 2001 or so ????
    I have the newest tracks as he gives them to me as I helped him out greatly learning gps tracks at my house.

A guess-----------looking at the old and new and having ridden a lot of the new----and all of the old------it's 97% different than 2001. (the rollcharts days).
    No use to argue what I said-------I've laid the old an new tracks side by side.

By the way------there were no tracks in 2001-------Sam didn't know what a track was until I gave him some guidance. So how did I navigate the TAT with a track I had when such a thing didn't exist /?????? I created one from his maps and rollcharts and left his maps and rollcharts at home-------much to Sam's amazement.

Just as one small example---the Tennessee version now doesn't even get close to the old one-----------I liked all the old way better than the new.
    But I'm old and grumpy----and as Walter Mattheau said in "Grumpy Old Men"---------"I hate Change".
    BigDog