Trans America 2020 on a Yamaha WR250r

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RacingBlue, Jun 26, 2020.

1. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    Ok! Now all that is left is to turn around and do that TAT backwards. :lol3

Thanks so much for taking us on this journey with you!
    RacingBlue likes this.
  2. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on a great adventure! Thanks for sharing with us. What a great start to your adult life.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  3. ibdye

ibdye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! I've been holed up for several weeks due to some surgery and your daily progress has been a highlight of my recuperation. I live near Damascus, VA and never realized to TAT was that close! Guess I'll have to get tracks to see what roads are included. Safe travels to you and your family on the way back to RI!
    RacingBlue likes this.
  4. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

The sleeping bag is the Army's warm weather bad. It is a modular sleep system, which I didn't have all of. I think it is rated to about 40 degrees, so it was pushing that. I didn't have thermals on, I had sweatpants, socks, a sweatshirt, and one of my longsleeve shirts underneat, as well as a facemask I use for skiing.
    Ginger Beard and Jedi2Rider like this.
  5. RacingBlue

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, all this trip did was affirm that there will be many more ride reports from me in the future.
  6. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you gotta turn around and ride it backwards! :D
    RacingBlue likes this.
  7. RacingBlue

Oddometer:
    For rides, I've been toying with Vietnam (cliche, but I've been wanting to go since I first saw the Top Gear Vietnam Special) or the Dalton. But @overlander has now put the idea of Baja in my head so we will have to see.

For life, I'll be back in Rhode Island for a bit. I might try and crank out a rough draft of a novel I've been playing around for a few months as I search for a job and a place to live.
  8. Gushi Rider

Gushi Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    感谢楼主分享
  9. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The NEBDR looks very interesting to keep your skills up - it starts in my wife's home town of Hancock, NY and runs north east from there. I've driven most of the first day's route in my Land Rover and its a scenic easy ride.
    Some of the tracks in Vermont and Maine get a little more "interesting" from the NEBDR film I saw recently. The 250 looks to be the perfect size bike for that ride - the big GS BMW was a bit of handful on those sections.

Great ride report - looking forward to hearing from you again.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  10. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job, man!! I’m not sure who was most proud, you for getting it done or your dad for you doing it? Either way, it was a joy to meet you two and since you’re having trouble deciding what’s next; The Dalton or Baja; Simple!
    I say we do both!! Maybe in one pass??
    Aces 6 likes this.
  11. MotoRojo

MotoRojo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic accomplishment! Thanks for bringing us along on the adventure.

Big big kudos also to your family for supporting you and especially, to your dad for having your back all the way across the continent. Hug him often.:-)

Looking forward to reading about your future rides :clap
    Aces 6 and Jedi2Rider like this.
  12. ArdenLoneWolf

ArdenLoneWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We then swung over to Beckie's for some dinner, including a slice of that pie you guys recommended. We had burgers, and got two slices of apple pies to go. We went back up to the rim, this time on the south side, and had dessert while watching the sunet.

[​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

That was me with the Beckies pie! As I'm on USCG Cutter now in Maine following along on this! thanks for the share!
    MadRider777 likes this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

The best part about adventure travel is that it would be nearly impossible to run out of options!

Good luck on the other journey , that day to day living part!
    dano619 likes this.
  14. DustyKnobs

DustyKnobs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I, for one, actually hope you never go back and edit your report for corrections. You are clearly an exceptionally gifted, creative writer with an excellent vocabulary, and any typos, fat-fingers, or grammatical errors just add to the authenticity and sincerity of the story. As I started reading this, I kept thinking to myself, "No way this guy is as young as he looked in his picture... no way." And then I read you are a mere 21 years?! The subtle innuendos and turn of phrases you use come from a much more mature mentality and have made this such a compelling and addictive read. When I was 21, I certainly was not using words like "Biome"... More likely, I was writing something about Bouncing Betty's Bustline.

Biome... I truly laughed out loud wondering to myself how many 20-somethings even know what that is.

Keep up the good work, and I must add; Big props to your parents for raising such a bright young man.

Now, I'm behind and only on page 14, but simply had to respond to your comment. Carry on, and I must get back to the story. :-)
    dano619 likes this.
  15. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ shit I'm 64 years old and I didn't know what Biome was......once again, great writing, pics and attitude, you will go far young man....and kudos to pops!!
  16. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    RacingBlue,

Great ride report and pictures! Also great to see your Dad supporting your ambitions. I hope your story inspires other young riders to take on extended trips.

My son just graduated from U Penn, also virtually, and did a trip from Philadelphia to Seattle and back visiting 35 National parks. You may have crossed paths.

I think you have a bright future ahead of you and look forward to your next adventure!

poolman
    buckthedog and CharlestonADV like this.
  17. ez-e-adventure

ez-e-adventure Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be reading your report in detail. It is good to see a fellow WR250R rider. I'll be reading your RR looking for tips for long distance riding on a small bike. Congrats!

I'm heading out on a WR250R from Atlanta to Maine along the MABDR and NEBDR starting in August. Accompanied by a BMW X650 Challenge rider, tentative KTM 990 rider, and tentative Super Tenere rider.

ez-e https://www.ez-e-adventure.com/east-coast-bdrs/
    overlander likes this.
  18. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it’s Saturday and no one has made a comment since Tuesday. I also have a WR in the barn and have found it an excellent bike for wandering Baja. Have no doubt yours will do you well in Baja also. A very well done RR young man and some riding to be proud of. By the way, as a Canadian that has been to all 48 states, some of them a great many times I noted that you are considering living in Texas. Many years ago I picked Texas as my favourite state. The riding in the Big Bend area is very good. Take Care Petepilot
  19. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    The riding in Texas, on the whole, is very underrated.
  20. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highway 170 on the Rio Grande is a wonderful road on a Ninja 1000. Big Bend State Park is fun to explore on a DRZ (440) . V 1 I agree all of Texas much underrated, but SW corner the best. Let’s you and I keep that a secret. By the way, where you at in central Texas?