Trans America 2020 on a Yamaha WR250r

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RacingBlue, Jun 26, 2020.

1. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    WOW. :clap

I've been reading this non-stop for the last few days, and just got to the end a few minutes ago. I can't remember the last time I was this glued to an RR on here. I won't repeat what's already been said, but I gotta tell ya, you are going places in life, my dude! As someone who does a lot of writing professionally, you absolutely have some serious writing and storytelling chops. I'll look forward to buying that novel of yours on Amazon someday. :thumb

By the way, what's your IG handle? I've seen you mention it a few times in here, and I'm sure more than a few of us would give you a follow. Cheers!
    RacingBlue and Jedi2Rider like this.
  2. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it! The notifications kept popping up this week that you were liking the posts and I was happy that you seemed to be liking it. As for the novel, progress has been slow but I've gotten some ideas down on paper.

My instagram is @acarlino6. I probably should have put that in the first post as I did some photodumps on there, lesson learned for the next RR!
  3. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, dude! And a fellow Italian, as well! :ricky
    RacingBlue likes this.
  4. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Great job! Enjoyed reading your report and you got another follower on the Gram from me. I am planning to complete the TAT next summer. What was the longest stretch of fuel that you found? Not sure yet what I will be riding. Either picking up a 500EXC or taking my Super Enduro. Others in my group will be on 690s and they have the shortest range. Want to make sure that we have enough fuel options for those long stretches.

Thanks again for sharing!
    RacingBlue and BLucare like this.
  5. RacingBlue

Oddometer:
    So I'm spitballing on the actual distance, but the longest was Payette, Idaho to John Day Oregon. It was like 170 miles of no gas. However, this isn't even true, because in Huntingon there is a country store with gas and a new Chevron that should be done by the time you go, and gas in Unity if you look.

So that would mean the longest stretch of no gas is Wendover, Utah to Tremonton Utah which I think was 150 miles. I didn't actually do that bit because of the radiator problems, but from what I can garner from the maps there is just nothing.

Basically, if your bike can go 150-200 miles on a tank and you carry extra gas with you (I had a gallon), you should be fine.

Also, how did you get links to appear in text in your signature? I've been trying forever to get it to work and I just can't.
    Bearded Hooligan likes this.
  6. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info @RacingBlue Ill send you a PM on the details for the signature.
  7. Doktor

Doktor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, a journey of 200-300 feet, then what will you do? ;)
    RacingBlue and Jedi2Rider like this.
  8. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You Just made My Day.
    Best Thing I saw All Day....Your Trip
    RacingBlue likes this.
  9. 87warrior

87warrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome Ride Report! You included just the right amount of detail in your daily reporting. Thank you for sharing! I just found this thread and read it in its entirety.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  10. RacingBlue

Oddometer:
    Probably find the nearest bar and get a drink :jack
  11. ahung12

ahung12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There may be hope for our youth yet! I'm putting a few dollars a month into a fund for the kiddo so that one day when she's around your age, she might be able to do something like this (she's 4 now). Also, one thing you never outgrow is a good dad. Looks like you definitely learned that during your trip.

Congrats on the accomplishment.
    spdtrpl, RacingBlue and 9w6vx like this.
  12. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
    Congrats on a truly tough accomplishment! I've really enjoyed both the pictures and your commentary. As to future rides, my most enjoyable ride, but far from the toughest, was when my youngest son and I rode our KLR's half way down Baja and back. Only half way because of his time constraints. Neither one of us spoke more than 20 words of Spanish, but still we had great meals, crazy lodging, and really enjoyed our interactions with the very friendly people of Baja.

A couple of questions about your gear: What make, model of laptop could take that beating, and how many miles on your m/c when the trip began?

Thank you for all the hard work it takes to do a trip report of this quality, and I agree with others who have said to not go back and edit it out all the little slips in the verbage. Given you were doing the writing at the end of each day, the little slip ups just add more creditability.
    RacingBlue likes this.
  13. RacingBlue

Oddometer:
    The laptop is a brand new Lenovo Yoga. I had it in a water proof bag, in another bag for safe keeping. It didn't really bounce around too much, my backpack was stuffed with gear for a great portion of the trip. The bike had I believe 5000 miles flat when I started the trip.

Baja sounds amazing. It is one of three trips that I think have made the final cut for the next "big one", as I will always look to take time to do a weekend trip; the other two being Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and Vietnam.
    OldGypsy likes this.
  14. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report! I'm glad to see a young man out having an adventure like this. Most would rather just play video games it seems. I wish I was as smart as you when I was 21. HA! I started riding when I was about 19. 42 now. Your riding skills will continue to improve. Some of your "obstacles" will seem like nothing before long. I wheelie across a lot of those water crossings these days (I never claimed to have gained intelligence). I probably wouldn't go down that trail out in Utah by myself though. I've been out there in a Jeep before and am familiar with that one. I was reading your report like, "NO!!! DON'T DO IT!!!"

I also live in Oklahoma. I've done a lot of riding in some of the places you took photos of in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Colorado! We actually just missed each other by a few days at Great Salt Plains Lake (One of my favorite places to camp) and again on Engineer Pass. If you ever get back to Colorado, set up shop in Ouray and ride out of there for a few days. Lots of great trails for that WR. Black Bear and Imogene are a blast on a motorcycle. Anyways, some of those abandoned houses you saw in northern Oklahoma were abandoned back in the dust bowl days (1930s). That was a man made calamity that forced farmers to just abandon their homes and move on out. Some are still standing. You could actually order a house from Sears back then! The coyotes at Great Salt Plains will keep plenty of distance between you and them. I see them occasionally and they are very fearful of humans. Even in packs. It's the mountain lions that you don't see or hear that you need to worry about. HA!

Tornado season is typically from mid April to the end of May. We get storms throughout the summer but the big violent tornadoes don't typically happen in July. It's pretty miserable for tent camping though due to the heat and humidity. Night time brings little reprieve. As for those cows in the road, the cows usually run away. It's the bulls I worry about. I've encountered them a few times and I'll keep my distance and rev my motor and see if they'll get off the road. If not, I'll go around. Since Oklahoma is a grid, it's only a three mile detour usually. Better than getting tore up by one of those big bastards though.

Anyways, I'd like to do the TAT sometime on my DR650. It might be the perfect bike for a trip like this. I enjoyed your report. Don't quit riding or going on adventures! You mentioned getting married. Make sure that she understands, dude. If she's into it too, then even better!
  15. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also for anybody else that's ever out in the Oklahoma panhandle past Boise City, the Black Mesa State Park is a fantastic place to camp. One of the darkest spots in North America. You can see colors in the Milky Way on a moonless night. There's a place called Autograph Rock that's only a few miles off the TAT. Most people don't know about it. If you google it, you can find it. NW of Boise City about 10 miles. The settlers that were moving west back in the 1800s, would stop at this cliff to shield them from the wind and they'd carve their names into the rock with the dates they were there. Quite a few back to the 1840s even. Very cool.

Another fantastic place to stay is the Black Mesa Bed and Breakfast. It's near Kenton and right at the foot of the Black Mesa itself. The house was built in 1910 but they've added on. They have an assortment of rooms and very reasonable rates. They also feed you breakfast. Very peaceful with Turkeys and deer running around. They have cats too. I have stayed there numerous times and it's fantastic. There are dinosaur tracks nearby too.

Kenton is the only town in Oklahoma that's on mountain time. Nobody seems to have a solid answer on whether or not that's official, but they observe mountain time out there. There's only like 10 people that live out there so, I guess they can do whatever they want.
    ahung12 likes this.