1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

TRANS-AMERICA bike suggestions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by urchindog, Jan 27, 2008.

1. urchindog

urchindog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello....think i'm going to prepare myself for a cross country ride on the Trans America ... looking for usefull experianced input for the right mount. I've presently got a LC4 and really like the bike. What have others rode? Is it adventgeous to have a liter twin to haul all your goodies with you or does the large single and lighter bike have its advantages. Really like to hear the pros and cons on this ...

tks for any advise.

Bryan in SC :norton
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    There is countless threads on this subject already.
    It will depend on your riding skills but for the average rider, a mid sized thumper seems to be the best compromise. I chose an XR600 for its super reliability, simplicty and do it all reputation.
  3. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    In my preparation for my TAT trip (leaving late June) I have found that the LC4 will be just about right. Alot of people say a larger bike is good for the eastern section and that a 450 is great for the western section so I think the 640 is a good compromise. Usually the best bike you can ride is the one you already have, so make it work. :ricky
  4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.

I'll be riding the OK, NM & CO postions on a DR350SE in mid-to-late July. If you read all the ride reports, the "bike of choice" seems to have about 650cc. But, my DR is what I own and that's what I'm going to ride. I would think your LC4 would be fine.
  5. Itchykawa

Itchykawa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many have done it on various 600 - 650cc thumpers. Seems to be the most popular sized mount from what I can tell. I have ridden as far as the OK Panhandle on a DR650 and will pick up there next year on a XR650L. A 650 is the smallest bike I would be able to sit on for 8 to 12 hour days and still negotiate through the worst of the gnarly stuff. I am a woosie when it comes to comfort though. There will be times when one will wish his bike were smaller (mainly in the West) and other times when he will wish he were on a beast (mainly in the East).

One should probably take the smallest, dependable bike he/she would be willing to ride for that distance and plan accordingly (how to pack, range, speed, etc). Riders who have lots of experience on larger machines would probably be ok too if they know when to use an alternate route. There are usually "big bike routes" around the gnarliest Western stuff according to a ride report I read on this forum by Gaspipe.

You should contact Gaspipe or try and find his trip report on this forum. Anyone planning this ride should spend a few days reading it. TONS of information and a great read with lots of pictures. I am a goof - maybe someone else can link you to it.

$0.02

CHEERS!
  6. urchindog

Oddometer:
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction .. i'll pull those threads up. think i'm going to stick w/ the LC4 and go as light as practically possible.

looks like a hoot and a great way to see the real USA.

Bryan :D
  7. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the ole 1976 DT400C Yahama for my favorite TAT Bike.

[​IMG]

Trans America Trail Edition

[​IMG]

The LC4 will be a great ride. I have done sections on my KTM 950, Honda XR650L and of course the 1976 Yahama DT400C Mountain Bike - Trans Am Trail Edition.

Check out our middle section of the TAT last spring. Leaving for the Western Section in May 2008. Again, going Vintage.

2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - OK, NM, CO - Page 6 - ADVrider
  8. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap Very cool Vinnie, not many would even consider riding a vintage 2 stroke on the TAT.
  9. urchindog

Oddometer:
    Boy if that bike doesn't bring it back ... I remember that era ... with my Husky 250 laying the shocks down and welding some make shift mounts. your a nastalgic ride still looks good ...

Bryan
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Thanks, you know we have had a great time with the old Yahama's. Leaving May 9th for the Western Section and Plan to finish the TAT Eastern Section in the Fall.

Believe it or not, the darn bike did quite well.
  11. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Brian, At the end of the day only thing that really matters is the ride.

When you hit Oklahoma, Let me know, we have alot of support here in the Tulsa Area and may even ride along if invited and show some of the OK section.

The LC4 will be fine for the trip. If I wasnt working so hard to get the Vintage Ride done, I would be on my XR650L.
  12. urchindog

Oddometer:
    that would be great...pm'd ya

Bryan