Trans America Trail 2010: Who's Doing It?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DirtyDR650, Dec 11, 2009.

1. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Well, we just finished the OBCDR, the CDT (to NM), and now we're heading home via the TAT west.
    Today we did Trinidad to Salida, CO. We saw 2 sets of tracks on the trail - who's out here enjoying the mud?? It wasn't bad, considering friday's rain, but it's only going to get worse.

I just checked the weather - nothing but heavy rain in the forecast for the next several days. awesome.

We had been looking forward to doing Hancock Pass again (doing the old rotten-board-behind-the-tree work around :lol3), but I think we're going to take the opportunity to see something new instead. So, tomorrow will be Tin Cup Pass and Cumberland Pass. Probably Tomichi, too. We're trying to spend an extra day in Colorado so we can hit a few more passes in between thunderstorms.

Hope to see some of you FFs when we're back on the official TAT. Moab is getting heavy rain, too - you'll probably find us stuck in the mud somewhere!

That reminds me...Um, hello - The only bike for 2up on the TAT is a KTM! How else are you going to enjoy the mud, deep sand or giant bike-eating holes? Last year we would have recommended the 950 adv (we didn't take any of the big bike bypasses), but the 990S kicks serious ass. We even have our camping gear this time.

Awww...it doesn't matter what bike you do it on - just do it! The TAT is a blast :D
  2. amoroso6

amoroso6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We will be pulling out of Jellico the same day. Maybe we will see you in the middle.
  3. DirtNomad

DirtNomad Bright Side of Life

Oddometer:
    Hello All,

The TAT is awesome! If you are plnning on doing it soon have a blast! If you are currently riding and happen to come across a license plate in Moab, or Nevada, or both.....I lost two......oops.

I also seemed to have lost a jacket in the beginning of Oregon. It sure gets bouncy in the back of the DRZ!

Little Wan enjoy Tin Cup, we sure did! I am editing video and working on the ride report now. Best of luck to everybody, and have fun....

Nomad
  4. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    After reading this update: http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#hancock it didn't sound like they'd be working on the pass for a while.
    Today we went past the "road closed" signs to look around and were surprised to see a huge excavator on a truck - they were just bringing it in. So, that bodes well for those of you who will be hitting the TAT later this month - maybe Hancock will be open after all! :clap

We had an amazing day - St. Elmo to Tin Cup Pass (tin cup doesn't get enough credit - it isn't as steep as hancock, but it's just as rocky and goes on forever). From the town of Tin Cup, the GPS put us on a small trail (gps calls it "CR765j" or "CR765f" but I can't find any other info) that was also steep, narrow and rocky. Holy crap, it was endless! That spit us out onto Cumberland Pass (easy and wide). We went to Pitkin for water and then went back and did Tomichi Pass.

It was a great alternative if Hancock is still closed.

Nomad - look forward to seeing your video/RR. We'll keep an eye out for your plates!
  5. YukonTracker

YukonTracker Ride your Way

Oddometer:
    If you made it in one piece.... you can get your "plaque" here....:D
  6. AUtiger86

AUtiger86 Flar

Oddometer:
    Four of us are leaving Birmingham tomorrow for Trinidad. Start riding Saturday headed to Baker Nevada. While we hate it, fortunately our jobs will not allow us any more time than a week away, so we will have to finish some time next year.

Curious to see if we can get around the bridge at Hancock like some others have. See you on the trail.
  7. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    Leaving Aug 30 from Atlanta to do the Colorado section of the T.A.T. Need somewhere around Trinidad to setup the bikes for off road. Two of us, one weestrom and one GSA. Bringing tires with us to change to after the 1400 mile ride. Would be nice to have somewhere to leave street tires to be picked up on the way back home.
  8. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    It sure seems like there are fewer people on the TAT west this year...:dunno
    Is there anyone currently (or upcoming) on the UT, NV and OR sections?

I left a couple ADV surprises on the trail...gifts from me to you, fellow TATers :raabia

I sure hope they go to FFs and not just some random muggles!

1) Swasey Cabin. Check the guest registry box. Left on august 7th.

2) The gate after the "5 miles of deep sand and single track" between Garrison, NV and Patterson Pass. There's a ziplock bag hanging the left side of the gate. Left on august 8th.

I have one or 2 more to give away. I'm not sure how things are going to work out, but I'm hoping to place another surprise up at the lookout in the section between Battle Mtn and McDermitt, NV. I can't remember what it's called, but the roll chart tells you to go check out the view:

[​IMG]

I'll leave it in or around the rock pile at the top. Probably tomorrow (8/11)

And, finally, I'd like to leave one last ADV surprise on or around the "Welcome to Port Orford" sign. The large one with the stonework and the cutout waves and mountains. Maybe 8/15?

Well, if you find one of these, let me know! I'll be starting a ride report in mid/late august.
    :beer
    kelly

:ricky
  9. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need to change tires earlier I am in Tulsa, Oklahoma and would be glad to let you use my air conditioned shop, tire changer and balance. Kieth 918-446-2245 www.tulsatruckcenter@sbcglobal.net

10. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:

Thanks, Changing tires is what I am looking for. There are two of us leaving Atlanta on 08/30. We are bringing tires to use on the trail with us to put on before going off road. (don`t want to start with half worn tires.) Only have time to do Colorado this trip. Would be nice to have a place to leave the takeoffs while on the trail, So we can swap back before heading home. We are bringing all the tools required with us. Just would nice to not have to do it on the side of the road.
  11. amoroso6

amoroso6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

We are finally on the TAT just finished day two. Ive setup a blog at www.cheesecakesbyalex.com/blog so check it out and give us a comment or two. We are shooting video as well but wont be able to post that until we get back from the west coast.

Alex
  12. amoroso6

amoroso6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

We are finally on the TAT just finished day two. Ive setup a blog at WWW.cheesecakesbyalex.com/blog so check it out and give us a comment or two. We are shooting video as well but wont be able to post that until we get back from the west coast.

Alex
  13. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Congrats amoroso6(Alex)...PLEASE post the ride report on the ADVriders "Ride Report"... where we can leisirely better attend your report and pictures than your own blog. THis way it's more accessible to us all running the TAT. We're hitting the TAT Monday...assuming Tropical Depression Danielle doesn't bring tons of rains by Monday on the TAT...ggrrrrrrr....
  14. AUtiger86

AUtiger86 Flar

Oddometer:

Found your lucky charm today. Took it with us and left something for the next group thru. With your permission, I will pass the lucky charm on, some time, some place, to some other inmate down the road. Also, doing that portion of the TAT on a 950, let alone 2 up is impressive. The sand was very tough today!

RF
  15. Red_Baron

Red_Baron Kradler

Oddometer:
    :lurk

P.S. Hope those duct taped bottles held up on your 770 mile trip home. You rock dude!!:beer
  16. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Cool! Nice of you to leave something for the next guys, too.
    Sure, go ahead and pass it on - the safety cone's good juju is transferable, I'm sure :lol3

Yeah, this was our 2nd time through and it wasn't nearly as fun this time as it was the first time. The sand seemed deeper and those damn trees are so overgrown, they just smack you in the face the whole time.
  17. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    This Sunday a.m.(aug. 15th) we'll be back on the TAT, starting in Helena Arkansas, where we stopped on our last leg. There'll be 2 white DRZs' and 2 of the happiest hillbillies ever seen headed west.
    Chip has called this the "Gentlemans Tour" because we're cheatin' a little, well alot. We'll be meeting the support truck, another happy hillbilly and cooler each nite at campgrounds, that'll mean a lite load on the bikes. :clap We're going as far as Moab this year, we should be there around Aug. 23rd.
    Hope to see yall out there.
  18. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you need anything while around Tulsa, Ok do not hesitate to call, we have resources to help if needed........Kieth 918-446-2245

Have a great cool ride......
  19. MikeBike4

MikeBike4 Hacked

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thank You. :D It's a good feelin' knowing someone in the area has your back. If you ever make it to WV/NC let us know.
  20. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two others and I are headed to AR on Tuesday Aug 17 to start the TAT on the next day.

Keith, I saved your number. May need to pick up a rear 17" tire somewhere around there.