Trans America Trail 2010: Who's Doing It?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DirtyDR650, Dec 11, 2009.

1. amoroso6

amoroso6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So we are in Clinton AK as of today and my brand new mefo tire sucks wind. Totally warn out so Im going to need tires. Cycle gear is holding a front for me in Tulsa but that means low tread in the front and 1" in the back, if that's good for the rest of AK I'll be okay unless anyone has an idea on where we can get some tires. if i get to tulsa we can order tires from arrowhead unless someone has a better Idea. This really sucks I just put those mefo's on my bike for this trip and they didn't last at all.
  2. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI, anyone needing a 17" tire here in the Tulsa area before heading on West on the TAT better give Kieth a week or so to get one. Hard to come by here infact, I dont know where anyone has one in stock.

Just a heads up, Kieth will go out of his way to help, but 17's are not very plentiful in the area and he needs a little time to get one for you.
  3. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Hope to be on the TAT in Baker NV 06-Sep-10 at 8:00am. May see some of you there on the trail.:evil :evil
  4. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As Vinnie has stated, Kieth really helped us a lot when we did the TAT from Jellico to Port Orford in 28 days!:clap He is a rider and knows what we do out there! :D
    Rick
  5. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people on the TAT right now. I rode it backwards hoping to meet several people. I met very few but the ones I met were important ones.

[​IMG]

great to see you guys out there.
  6. amoroso6

amoroso6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put a hold on the last dunlop 606 front tire they had at cycle gear. I'll put it on Monday and that will have to do until we order full sets and get them sent somewhere in CO.
  7. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    have you tried Valcom Motorsports in Trinidad, CO. great place good folks don't have the # handy but I stopped there in need of a sprocket bolt and spring washer for my KTM and they did not have them in stock I looked at the new bikes on the floor for sale and said what about one off a new bike and they said not a problem and sold me one right off a bike on the floor that was so awesome, if they dont have the tire you need in stock hell they might just take one off a new bike for you too, lol :lol3
  8. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info Vinnie. My cousin did the right thing, and bought a tire today. :clap
  9. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    I posted earlier that I will be intercepting the TAT at Baker Neveda and heading West to Port Orford. Will be in Baker on September 6th starting the TAT. Meeting my Chase truck to switch to my 1976 Yamaha DT400 Mountain Bike to finish the Vintage TAT and Loading up my KTM990:evil :evil .

If anyone needs help, contact Kieth and he can get ahold of me or my Chase truck that may be in the area:deal . Will be heading to Canada to ride the CDR and on South to Mexico when finished with the TAT. So the Chase Truck will be roaming all over and in an emergency might be able to help others if needed:freaky .

Overall the truck and I will be out about for 4 to 5 weeks. If we can help, we will.:ear
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    I have 18" rears and 21" fronts spare, Get with Kieth and he can help you arrange the tire issues or bring you buy to get some. All I ask is you order replacements for those used, as these tires are for my bikes when I get back from my trips. Personal stock from my personal shop. Not open for business.

11. lzempjr

lzempjr Humpies from Hell

Oddometer:
    Some buddies and I are putting the TAT on our radar for next summer. We are all experienced riders, but have never done any sections of the TAT. If you only have two weeks, where would you start and where would you end . . .
  12. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I'd start in Co and go as far as you can :).
  13. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Start at the far west and come as far back as you can until you have to slab it home.
  14. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    You're a good man Vance! On the top of gaspipe's list of cool guys. :webers
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Dang it, I'm going to just miss you. I'm riding pavement to Baker, then dirt back to the west. I'll be in Baker on September first. I'll probably cut to the southwest after Denio Junction, if I can keep a good pace I'm planning to make the Pacific in the Fort Bragg, Ca area...have to be home late on the 6th.

:beer

Edit...Hiya, 'pipe!! :wave
  16. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hey all... I'm on the TAT now... er, near it anyway :lol3... taking a couple days off, holed up at a campground in Salina, UT. Will get going again in the morning... if anyone else is near the same area, and headed west, let me know.
  17. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    Leaving next Saturday from Atlanta to do Colorado. Did the eastern parts last year with a group. This year, only two of us will make it. Riding out, changing tires and hopefully on the trail by the first of September. Still looking for a place near Branson or Trinidad where we can change tires and either leave the tires to be picked up on the way back, or ship them home. Will try an do the trail without doing the big bike pass. If we can`t , will back track and take the big bike pass. Both of us have quite a bit of off road back ground. Hope to not have to miss any of the trail due to inability to get through.
  18. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    That is close, if something gets changed let me know. I am still on schedule here.:ear
  19. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    Valcom Motorsports in Trinidad, CO. great place good folks don't have the # handy but I stopped there in need of a sprocket bolt and spring washer for my KTM and they did not have them in stock I looked at the new bikes on the floor for sale and said what about one off a new bike and they said not a problem and sold me one right off a bike on the floor that was so awesome,
  20. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awful nice of you to be leaving presents. I guess I was a few weeks to early to find any. I'll keep my eyes open next time and maybe even leave a little something.

Last year, Bob Nafus, who owns the gas station in Kanosh, UT., said he had riders coming through about every day. This year, the owner of the bar/cafe in Silver Lake, OR. said that someone would pass through every 2-4 days.

Your theory about fewer riders may be correct.