Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a stupid question as I follow along here.

I have the set of paper maps from Sam, but I'm not seeing these "Section" numbers. For example for Utah I have maps #1 - 14, but no "Section" references.

Are the sections noted in the GPS tracks (which my son has down loaded)?

Awesome RR. We're kicking off from Amarillo to Trinidad 08/25. We'll start the TAT from there.
    onthetrail and Diddly like this.
  2. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, section numbers are by state on the GPS tracks. UT 1, UT 2, etc
  3. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

It makes sense now.
  4. =[BAD]=TEX

=[BAD]=TEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Latest TAT video. Sorry been sick and have had video editing problems, need to get a new program.
    But here you go from July 11, Joe and I meet up with ED and finish out NC into Tenn. Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/SaL7KIUoNFo
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up after being off-grid for a couple days riding. Looks like the trek through section 36 was pretty sweet @fjmartin, I like the scenery - how was the weather? Riding sand in the heat sucks, even on a trail bike that isn't loaded with camping gear, etc :lol3. Looking forward to seeing what your bypass looked like and how it went.

@DCTFAN - that's a killer shot from the overlook at Saratoga Springs, I really need to get my arse to UT and do some dual-sport riding. And the b/w shot of you guys finding shade in the hay bale shadow - frickin' sweet!

So you guys are in Idaho now? Crazy to think how far west you've come, though I guess that's the intention :lol3 :lol3. Won't be much longer and you'll be in southern Oregon.

Threw this out previously, but if you make your way north toward Portland and need something, let me know. Happy to help if I can, even if it's just a cold beer or good whisky.
    IJustWantMyZBack and DCTFAN like this.
  6. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Glad you like the pics. I'm not much of a photographer like fjmartin but I do have an eye for good Kodak moments.
    The viewpoint access requires a little hill climb on dirt which was the icing on the cake; a Subaru can't make it up there
    liv2day likes this.
  7. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    try Filmora, works well for me and more full featured than I use, but pretty easy to figure out too.
  8. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin’s maps have section numbers to correspond to the maps. Not sure about Sam as I only got the tracks, but each track file had a name so we are calling each of those a section.
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Sunday August 11

We headed out to finish UT 11 which took 6 miles to get to from the hotel and the. 31 miles to finish it. It was all flat farmland and hard packed trails with a bit of gravel over them. Occasionally you’d find a rut so we were doing about 55 MPH. So we knocked that out quickly and realized we were in Idaho!!!! So on we went with section Idaho 2019 01 which is 130 miles. Again pretty flat and boring this fast. Did a burger lunch and carried on some more with Idaho 2019 02 which is 169 miles but we stopped at 59 miles into it at a place called Balanced Rock Park & Campground. No fee to camp. Getting there was awesome when all of a sudden we dropped down into a canyon with high rocky walls that reminded me of Moab except the rock wasn’t red. Campground is in a small canyon with a creek running through it. Mellow temps all day in the low to mid 70s made it comfortable on the bike and will make for a chilly evening in the tent…especially with the 20 MPH winds. But heck, the mosquitos aren’t out!!!

Tomorrow Mike is going into Nampa early for tires and brake pads. We will join him a bit later and do some shopping for road food and more tent stakes to tie out my guy lines so the tent doesn’t collapse. So far I’ve carved branches and used big rocks but one of these times raw materials may not be available.

We are debating a rest day in The Boise area. We will decide tomorrow.

Crazy update: the campground says not to camp on the grass on weekdays as sprinklers run from 10am to 10pm M-F. Well, at the stroke of mid-night on Sunday night/Monday morning the damn things come on and soak us all. We run around placing rocks in front of them to block the spray while running away to avoid the spray. We all got wet. Joseph never left his tent but giggled the entire time as he seemed to care less about the events taking place except the hilarity of us panicking about!

IMG_2188.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    OR_Rider, Kentcomp, danh600 and 24 others like this.
  10. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know

Oddometer:
    Looks a little more inviting than my site about 50 miles into Sams tracks from Tremerton on BLM land. Cows and coyotes for company. Maybe I can catch up to you guys ... and my RR soon. Lot has happened.

37026B79-14D4-4E54-B58A-EF8D34AEF777.jpeg
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're solo in that pic @DragonJoe, hope things are ok. And yeah, the campsite @fjmartin and that crew has definitely has better sights than yours. Though the solitude might be nice?

Safe travels man, keep the knobby side down :thumb
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Haven't had sprinklers go on in the middle of the night, but have been woken up plenty of times with rain falling through the mesh because I was too lazy to put my rain fly on the tent. Talk about a rude awakening :rofl At least you guys took it in stride.

That's a killer camp spot @fjmartin! Talk about a stark contract between the roads you were on and then those rock formations. Great captures of the canyon and area, especially like the shots with the sun on the rocks, really neat.

Appreciate the update fellas, looking forward to what comes next!
  13. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos.
    Here's the spot if anyone is in the area.
    Easy to miss.

Attached Files:

juno, scout68, misterk and 3 others like this.
  14. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW: For the uninitiated viewers of the Spotwalla Link, here is a method to see it in more detail.
    Open the link, click TAT > and click Adjustments
    tat 1.PNG
    Then click the infill at 100% > and click Update map
    tat 2.PNG
    Diddly, fjmartin and misterk like this.
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Monday August 12

Started the morning by hanging our tents in bushes to dry from the attack sprinklers last night!

Mike was up and gone really early to slab it into Boise as he needed a new rear tire and rear brake pads.

The three of us got on the trail around 9:30 and quickly got onto super high speed gravel and sand. I was doing 60 and the bike would occasionally wag hard and I’d say a prayer to live. We kept hitting those sections all day. As such we knocked out about 250 miles today and ended up crossing the river and are now sitting in the Farewell Bend Park Campground in Oregon!!!! Tomorrow we only have 38 miles to finish POS 01. We have 720 miles to go!

DragonJoe slabbed a few long days to catch us and just joined us in the campground. So now we are 5.

IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg

Attached Files:

16. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Tuesday August 13

We left Farewell Bend Park at 8am as we changed time zones and our bodies woke us early. Good thing we did as the trail which again started really fast to finish the last 34 miles of section POS-01 but then section POS-02 was a lot slower and 87.3 miles long. Slower cause it was awesome with abandoned and overgrown dirt roads, goat paths up the mountain and lots of tight switchbacks. We got to climb a fire lookout. Excellent stuff! We also started POS-03, about 35 of the 72 miles. It has a fun corkscrew descent to the highway and then slab into John Day for Linner, fuel, groceries and then off to the Clyde Holliday State Park for camping. Nice campground but not scenic like the last few. We got here around 4:30 and it’s been really nice just sitting around, relaxing.

IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    Kentcomp, crashkorolyk, juno and 17 others like this.
  17. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    My impression of OR
    If a cow can go up there why can't my AT?
    20190813_092342.jpg
    juno, Comrade Art, misterk and 9 others like this.
  18. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Sunset in camp

IMG_2256.jpg
    OR_Rider, Kentcomp, Diddly and 11 others like this.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man! I just want to say “Thanks” for taking the time and effort to post all you do as the ride continues. Just incredible since day one and have enjoyed all of it! Cheers!!
  20. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Cows are 4 wheel drive :imaposer rj
    Kentcomp, juno, DCTFAN and 2 others like this.