Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might be an illusion but that chain looks very tight on the AT.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's so frickin' epic @fjmartin, both that you're in the great state of Oregon now and that @DragonJoe caught up with you guys and joined the fray. What a couple of outstanding days. Haven't ridden that part of OR yet, but it looks like something I need to get on my to-do list.

Not sure where the tracks take you, but if you get a chance to go through Fossil, I'd strongly suggest it. Have stayed at the same B&B out there for 20 years, Wilson Ranch & Retreat. By far one of the best places to stay in Oregon in my opinion (if you like outdoor stuff, ranching, great people and good food).

There's great riding to your north through Morrow County. Or if you're heading due east, there's fantastic riding through the Ochoco NF too.

Probably crazy to think you "only" have 720 miles to go now, what a journey. Given me inspiration to do this someday fellas :thumb :thumb
    KTM 500 EXC Six Dais likes this.
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

@DCTFAN - welcome to riding nirvana (at least as far as I'm concerned). With all the BLM land we have and the various National/State Forests, there's a phenomenal amount of back country stuff to explore.

Honestly, if you guys have the time, there's nothing like the Oregon Outback. You're north and west of it now, but if you have extra time before returning home, it's my favorite place to ride and explore. Harney County is the least densely populated county in the US (lower 48), there's nothing like it for me.

To any of you TATers - feel free to hit me up if you need anything in the PDX area if you make it this far north. Be off-grid this coming weekend (8/16-8/18), but happy to help if needed.
  4. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Did you guys pass Alvord Desert, OR?

Site of the UN-rally.

And hot springs.

(Not my pics)

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fossil is about 50 miles north of the trail. At this point I do t see us deviating. We can all smell the end and want to get there!
    liv2day likes this.
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
  7. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    We took Sam's route through John Day. Unfortunately too far north for a visit to Alvord. But I will bookmark it for another trip in the near future. As for me, the TAT is also a reconnaissance trip for my wife who will travel with me once we hand over our house keys for good. :)
    Diddly likes this.
  8. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not too tight in the picture but Canyon Honda in Nampa did adjust it too tight after my tire change and I sorted it.
    I like my chain a bit tighter than most other owners who let it slap around. Avg. 20k miles on chains (3rd)
    It's also loaded to the hilt with all my gear.
    Merlin44, misterk and Retired 18Z like this.
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Wednesday August 14

Again we all woke early due to the time change around 6am, ate breakfast while drying the dew off the tents and then packed and rolled for fuel and it seemed everyone needed air in their tires. Then off we rolled on POS-03 to finish it up. Another super fast gravel over hard forest road. Knocked out that 45ish miles quickly and kept rolling into POS-04 which is only 43 miles long and again super fast except for a few sections of large crushed rock on the road and a rutted out section with large embedded rocks and deep empty puddle holes. I think it got air a few times. Not my thing!!! At the end of that the group split. Mike wanted to see the painted hills, Joseph wanted to find singletrack. Tom had to stay with Joseph as he was really close to running out of fuel towards the end and Joseph is the mobile refueling vehicle. Joe D was tired and slabbed it into Prineville. I rode the rest of the section alone and continued on POS-05 alone. It was almost all fast stuff which a mile section of two track that had some nice challenging bits in it. Only other exciting thing was coming around a corner and there was a fresh pile of gravel that hadn’t been spread. Up and over I went thinking I was going to eat it. Wiggle wiggle I saved it! This section ended weirdly like 7 miles before Prineville so I continued into town. Cell service restored and I got a text from Joe D with the restaurant he was at. Meet him and texted the others. Slowly we gather up and ate. Post meal was gas, shopping and then 13 miles into POS-06. Really 20 miles since it starts before Prineville. Along the Crooked River there are 11 campsites in 5 miles. All BLM so really cheap. Camp is all setup and now for a relaxing evening! Looks like the total mileage for today’s was around 169 miles. Weather was warm today in the mid 90s but is cooling off to the mid-50s overnight so will be nice sleeping in the tent.

Just 398 miles to go!

GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2272.jpg

Attached Files:

10. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great report. Awesome pics. Thank you again for putting in the time

Safe travels
    Davidprej likes this.
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been following along from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to do this on the trail. Look forward to reading in everyday and the pics.

Will be bummed when over!!
    i4bikes likes this.
  12. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Sweet @fjmartin, I love riding in that neck of the woods in our state, and the Crooked River is awesome. Too bad you can't take a trip to Billy Chinook and see where it flows in, pretty kick ass reservoir with several rivers feeding into it.

The campsite you guys have is fantastic, nothing like camping right along the river - the sound of the water combined with cool temps=perfect camping and a good night's sleep.

@DCTFAN - if you need suggestions on things to see & do in OR upon your return, shoot me a line. As one of the guys mentioned, the Alvord is fantastic. Stay at the Alvord Hot Springs camp and then head south to Fields Station for a killer cheeseburger and the best milk shake you'll ever have (seriously - they're renowned for them). So much to explore in just that area.

398 miles to go, probably seems like a long way and yet nothing at all comparatively speaking.

Frickin' epic guys
  14. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Brilliant R.R. and pictures,thanks for sharing your adventures,looks like a great trip.Good luck on the home stretch!
  15. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Nearly done. Sad.

Thanks sticking with the updates. Solid RR.
    DirtPoorOverland likes this.
  16. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure of a lifetime

Great stories to tell
  17. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Glad you all are still trekking along! @fjmartin, what top bag are you running and how do you like it?
  18. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does the portable solar work out for you? And by the way that's a heck of a water crossing. That is an awesome campsite
    The end is near. Going to have to switch channels to another RR for the TAT after your done
  19. Dan E

Dan E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your journey. Great stuff
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    It’s the Kriega US-30 with a pair of US-10s. I like them
    Merlin44 likes this.