1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The solar works well if you have light available long enough. Wasn’t an issue in Alaska last year with mostly endless sun but on this trip we get into camp to late for it to really work
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Thursday August 15

Another 6am wake up and on the trail by 8:30. Started high speed again but then turned into a narrow two track with whoops for days. My big gal wallowed her way through and seemed to giggle along the way until the inevitable thunk of bottoming out, and thwacking the skid plate. Oof! Then we hit some long straight sections of sand for miles and miles. I fricken hate sand but sucked it up and throttled up. Bike finally became stable around 45 mph or more. Scares the crap out of me but did it and survived, barely. Then we got further into the cascade range, moving towards the west side and now it’s dirt! Yeah! Tomorrow we’ll get a chance to really check it out! Another primitive camp night! I stink! Bug spray and B.O. are not a good combination!

231 miles to go!

GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    Dan Diego, Shaggie, Merlin44 and 27 others like this.
  3. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Friday August 16

This will sound redundant, but we hit the trail again at 8:30am. We split into two groups with Joseph and Tom heading for the infamous hill on Kevin’s section 48 and JoeD, Mike and myself taking green and blue of Kevin and Cyan of Sams. Beautiful forest roads with a little gravel over hard. Some amazing views! My group rolled into Glendale to the Cow Creek Café and had lunch and monitored Spotwalla to see where the others were. We got there at 12:30. The others were way behind and working up the hill. They finally arrived in town around 3:30 and had videos and stories to tell of a steep and rocky climb that turned into a hiking trail. Definitely not a blue trail as marked by Kevin but should be Red! They each dumped the bikes but they did do it! Kudos!!!
    So they had lunch at another place and we hung out till they were done and worked out a plan to continue 40 miles to a BLM campsite. We got there on a paved one lane road that had an uncountable number of hairpin turns. Really awesome! The entire campsite is ours alone. It was 68 when we got here but we are at about 3500 feet and I expect it to get down to the 40s.

On a side note, while hanging at the Cow Creek Café, in walks someone that looked familiar…Bill! He had finished, gone to Eugene and rented a truck to haul his bike back. He used Spotwalla to find us as he is going to haul back some other bikes. And Joseph will ride shotgun.

On another more funny side note, the guys didn’t give the name of the place they were eating so I walked into this cool bar where the bikes were parked. Immediately this pink hair, tattoo covered, tank top to small, daisy duke wearing 20 something spins around, introduces herself to me, asks if I am on a motorcycle and then says “want to bend me over your bike?” I kindly decline the generous offer and exit rapidly after not seeing the guys there.

Only 69 miles left to go!

GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2301.JPG
  4. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adventure: Seeing what uncertainty may lie around the next curve.
    dano619, johnnywheels and MYUMPH like this.
  5. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    ..."this pink hair, tattoo covered, tank top to small, daisy duke wearing 20 something spins around, introduces herself to me, asks if I am on a motorcycle and then says “want to bend me over your bike?"

PICS, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    She wasn’t pic worthy but I do have witnesses!
  7. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Saturday August 17

The crew woke early but we sat around reminiscing on the trip since today would be the last day. Finally on the trail at 9 following Kevin’s blue route. We figured it would be a fun twisty dirt mountain road route into Port Orford. It started that way then turned into some very overgrown stuff with some marbled climbs and ruts. Fun to have a bit of challenge. Then...we came across a huge rock fall. Trail completely blocked. Well, except for a narrow gap directly up against the cliff to your death. A bit of walking the length of the problem area and we decided we could get through by having the bike owner walk their bike while the rest of the team hold and guide it so it doesn’t fall off the cliff. We successfully got all the bikes through, jumped on and just around the corner is a down tree. Can’t get over it so we cut it with a hand saw. Tough tree so it took a while. Then more trees to go under and over and another tough one where the team had to help guide over to prevent the bike from ending in a ditch. Finally we got through this stuff and returned to more flow stuff until we hit a single lane paved road, which led to a nice paved road and finally to Port Orford. That final 69 miles took 4 hours. Heck of a way to finish the TAT. High fives were given, pictures taken, beers with cheers, and finally goodbyes. I headed to Eugene for the night so tomorrow will only take about 5 hours to be home. DragonJoe is riding to visit family and the rest of the crew are putting bikes into a U-Haul that Joseph and Bill will ride to the East Coast while the folks fly home.

IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    GPTempDownload.jpg GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG

I started the trip with my hand in the Atlantic. Ending the trip with it in the Pacific
    IMG_2343.JPG

I titled this ride report as 6 strangers Journey to brotherhood. The trip developed very differently than I’d imagined but in the end it’s a memorable adventure with a bunch of new friends that I hope to keep in co tact with and hopefully ride with again!
    IMG_2302.JPG

I’m now sitting in a hotel room after my first shower in 4 days, watching TV and texting with my wife. I’ll be home tomorrow. I’ll take a break and then clean, service and repair all that needs it.

I wonder if the return to normal life will feel normal. Being in the city with all the people, noise, traffic, etc, will be so different from the last weeks.

Thanks everyone for following along and all your comments. I hope you all have great adventures of your own!
  8. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    REALLY enjoyed the entire journey! Thanks very much for posting. We looked forward to it every day! Congrats to all of you!
    DCTFAN, Amphib, Jedi2Rider and 2 others like this.
  9. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us along! Really enjoyed it.
    fjmartin likes this.
  10. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    fjmartin likes this.
  11. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Now what?
    Really enjoyed following along with you Joe. If your bored at home this week , come down to the Sound Rider Rally at Hood River, OR fairgrounds. I'm hoping to go again this year. Starts this Wed thru Sunday. Be a good relaxing place to chill. rj
    http://www.soundrider.com/rally/
  12. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done! Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!:beer
    fjmartin likes this.
  13. flashbang

flashbang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You made it, glad everyone could be together at the end.
    fjmartin likes this.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on completing your adventure. Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to your reflections
    fjmartin likes this.
  15. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Glad everyone made it safe.

Thanks for the RR.
    fjmartin likes this.
  16. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on finishing!!!! Everyone’s TAT trip turns out a little different than planned. Mine was plaques with extremely high temps, driving in smoke and rerouting from forest fires and landslides.
    Yours involved more of a human element with all the different personalities and groupings. Made it very interesting and entertaining to follow!
    Congrats again to all of you!
    i4bikes and fjmartin like this.
  17. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on completing the trip. I have enjoyed following along. It was an honor and a privilege to meet and ride along with you in Arkansas. If you ever get a craving for a cheeseburger and pie come on back.
    DragonJoe and fjmartin like this.
  18. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Well done and thanks for sharing the whole trip! Really enjoyed following along!
    fjmartin likes this.
  19. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    fjmartin likes this.
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Well, the bike needs a full service, new tires and some small repairs so I won’t be out and about on it for a few weeks which is fine as I need a break. I’ll probably play on my CRF250L some once I start riding again on some local stuff. The next big thing in the works will be next year. The group I rode with in Baja this spring is doing the Idaho BDR. Beyond that I haven’t planned out anything.
    Thanks for following, enjoy the rally and let’s ride sometime!