Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, I looked for the new report every day. Now what am I to do?
    mikegc likes this.
  2. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks for sharing. Ride well. Be well.
  3. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR!! I enjoyed every word and all the Adventures!!

Thank You and your riding Compadres!!
    fjmartin likes this.
  4. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to go out in the sun and have a little adventure of your own! Thanks for following along!!!
  5. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So true, I've been lucky to do 3 rides like yours. Just not happening this year so I'm living through others.
    fjmartin likes this.
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Home!

TransAmerica Trail is complete! 42 days total, 6776 miles

Attached Files:

7. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done thanks for sharing!
    fjmartin likes this.
  8. =[BAD]=TEX

=[BAD]=TEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe now that you've done the west half, (as you know I have not) what do you think about doing it on a smaller bike?
    I'm thinking of finishing it out on my KTM EXC-F 350 and you on the CRF 250L, what do you think? May be 2021? :wink: :webers
  9. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    Absolutely incredible journey. Thank you so much for sharing and your commitment to updating us. I hope to do the TAT in the near future, and your RR was a major source of inspiration.

Ride safe! (After some rest)
    fjmartin likes this.
  10. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Killer good ride report! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I rode it in '08 and found the changes very interesting. Hope I get the chance to ride the new TAT.
    fjmartin likes this.
  11. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I think when you come back to do more of the TAT you should skip OK. Head straight to CO. Yeah, a smaller bike would be much better in the passes of CO and for screwing around in Utah. Still would want enough fuel for 200 miles. I won't commit to 2021 on the CRF though. Not yet. It's still too fresh for me!
  12. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and way to go Joe,nothing much gets Past you...your keen observation,savvy travel tips and Mcgiver-esque mechanics leave everyone one playing catch-up ...thanks for the effort of relaying such a fabulous adventure...
    Down the Road...
    fjmartin likes this.
  13. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t say “thanks” enough for the effort you put into making your adventure available to all of us! Truly inspirational and entertaining to boot!
    fjmartin likes this.
  14. Retired 18Z

Retired 18Z Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you follow official TAT routes from the Atlantic or did you pick an accessable spot (Morehead City) and launch from there? How much of Eastern North Carolina did you spend on the actual TAT route? My goal is to fill a flask from the Atlantic and deliver it to the Pacific, but that stretch of TAT from the ocean to the Appalachian mountains seems a bit fuzzy...
    Orthodoc likes this.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sticking with the report, has to be a PITA when tired and just want to sleep. Again, congrats on a most excellent adventure.
    fjmartin and i4bikes like this.
  16. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I picked up my bike from the shipping depot in Raleigh and then rode to Atlantic Beach to put my hand in the water for the start. I looked at what it would take to do Kevin’s Hattaris Island Ferry start to the TAT and it would have taken a full day and I needed to meet Steve at a certain time. But from there we followed Kevin’s TAT route exactly through NC. NC had a lot of pavement with bits of gravel thrown in here and there%. We made a lot of mileage there each day.
    Retired 18Z and HiJincs like this.
  17. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fjmartin. You indicated 42 days, 6772 miles. Do you know roughly how much was the actual TAT effort? Also could you provide a bit of detail about the Shipping. I always thought that someone from the East coast, to ride back home after TAT would be a week riding effort just to slab it home, putting many miles on a poor bike that just got run through the ringer
  18. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Not sure which CRF250's were involved Joe ,but I think there's some recalls on them . One for a starter mag switch and one for transmission problem I think. Had a friend that just bought a new Rally one and had the tranny recall. Not even broken in yet. He's bumbed. rj
  19. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Lets see. I had about 170 miles to get from the shipping depot to Atlantic Beach. I had about 250 miles of playing in the Ozarks while waiting for the crew to arrive. It was about 460 to ride from Port Orford Home. There were miles here and there to peel off the TAT to go to lunch or lodging or laundry, etc. Probably a couple hundred in total for that. So maybe 1100 "extra miles". So about 5600 are true TAT miles. But I think most folks will have these extra miles.

One of the guys got a deal for $700 to rent a big box truck from U-Haul or Ryder or somebody...can't remember. That was for 10 days unlimited mileage. They are fitting 4 bikes in it. The additional costs will be fuel and they had to buy straps to hold the bikes. Will be right at 3000 miles. Guessing the truck will get about 8 MPG but that's a guess. Todays national average for unleaded gas is $2.62. So about $1000. S0 $1700 divided by 4 is $425 each. I paid $850 to ship my bike from Tacoma to Raleigh. So that's a great deal!
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    My 250L is a 2015 so no recalls on it....I checked before purchase. Yeah, I have a buddy who had the tranny recall but it was a quick fix for him. It's just a clip that has to be replaced.