Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    20190817_132816.jpg Just a note to thank the group and @fjmartin for a trip of a lifetime. I couldn't have done it on my own.
    I had not planned to be on the TAT this year but when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped.
    Everyone added to the dynamics of the ride and made it awesome.
    juno, Merlin44, BLucare and 14 others like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow @fjmartin (and all the rest of the crew that made it), that's seriously something damn cool. 42 days and covering that many miles...sweet. I know there are others out there doing round-the-world trips and the like, but making it across the US in that fashion is really neat.

Appreciate you keeping the report alive while you traveled, I can only imagine the memories you've created. Hope to follow suit someday and do the TAT myself, thanks for providing such great insight and entertainment while you rode. As others have mentioned, bummed this has come to an end.

Safe travels in whatever comes next fellas :ricky :thumb
    fjmartin likes this.
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same bro! I am so glad you and Joseph were able to join us! Keep in touch!
    DCTFAN likes this.
  4. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DCTFAN, That bike looks pretty happy there. Is it still there? Did you need someone to help tow it off or were you able to ride it off?
    So the vibe I'm getting is one could potentially start solo, along with potential other starters, meet up along the way, join forces and lo-and-behold, not a solo ride any more.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  5. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh another question. Knowing what you guys know now about weather (You guys had a somewhat dry ride after the storm in the very beginning) would you have chosen a different start date to get a different weather?
    DCTFAN and Davidprej like this.
  6. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on Mission Accomplished and thanks for taking the time and effort to document your journey.
    Hope to start my own, soon. I'm curious about any phone apps that you found were helpful on your trip.
  7. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Had to drop it on its side to get the rear out. AT doesn't belong on a beach. Besides the fact it was dripping oil the last 40 miles!
    You'd have to be very lucky to start solo on TAT and end up in a compatible group like I did.
    All I seem to have contributed to the ride was sunny, rain free days and photo ops for my AT bellyside up.
    DragonJoe and Amphib like this.
  8. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Congrats on completing your ride and thanks for taking us along :thumb
    DragonJoe likes this.
  9. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know

Oddometer:
    A great bunch of guys and new friends. ....
    I will add my sincere thanks to fjmartin (Joe) for the original organizational effort, patience, dedicated assistance and informational gathering that contributed to a successful journey.
    I’m recuperating from a couple injuries that I continued to ride with anyway. That and Limited data, cell coverage and no internet stalled my RR but i will finish it up in the next few days.
    And then, as radio personality Paul Harvey used to say, “ Now you know the REST of the story”.
    DragonJoe

https://advrider.com/f/threads/mad-tater-2019-a-trans-america-trail-journey.1393198/

Mike,Bill, Joseph, me, Tom, Joe.
    D331EA23-B8D4-43B2-A296-10303E5E7323.jpeg
    Merlin44, BLucare, SoPaRider and 10 others like this.
  10. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I can neither confirm nor deny that he required assistance a couple of times on the beach :-)
    DragonJoe and Amphib like this.
  11. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I think the timing worked out well for us....this year. While we got caught in the normal afternoon thunderstorms of NC, and the rains from Hurricane Barry, and timing we lucky in CO with the monsoon weather that comes in from Arizona. But, with the big winter last year the passes were just opening as we arrived. A bit earlier and we would have missed even more of the trail. Later, I think it would have been even hotter in Utah. But I think luck played a big part in this as I had planned the start date before the big winter started.
    Diddly, liv2day and i4bikes like this.
  12. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The boys hit the jackpot on the weather in Arkansas. I've lived here all my life and I can't recall 4 days in a row in the 80's in mid-July. Even the humidity was low. It was clear and perfect! The sooner state was not so kind with high 90's and high humidity to go with it. All together I think they had about as good as you could hope for. You can plan a lot but weather comes down to a lot of luck. Bring the right gear and be ready for anything.
    DragonJoe, fjmartin and Davidprej like this.
  13. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride Kevins tracks the whole way or did you switch it up?
  14. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same trail that these guys hacked through with a machete...

The rock slide is at 6:20 or so.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    We mixed it up. From the east coast we followed Kevin exclusively until Moab. Leaving Moab we took the Utah BDR route. We then switched to Sam at Temonton, UT. Then we mixed it up once we got a bit past Bend and rode a little of both to the coast.
  16. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    That's it! We only had to cut out one new tree that was down and help each other over some of the sketchy down trees and around the rocks on the cliff edge!
    Diddly and MYUMPH like this.
  17. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    First thanks for the RR. My hat's off to you for your patience in holding this trip together.

I keep hearing about how you almost lost your bike when it hit sketchy sand or mud, but then you saved it. And now you're manhandling that big bike thru and over those trees. I've a theory that that takes a pretty big guy with long legs. What size guy are you, FJM?
    fjmartin likes this.
  18. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    And..........home!

I am 5’7” and 130 pounds. My bikes was lowered 2 inches with HyperPro Progressive lowering springs so I could get a foot down without hanging my arse to far off the saddle!

Thanks for following!
  19. Twojump36

Twojump36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR... I read it all this evening... great adventure.. congrats on the accomplishment.
    fjmartin likes this.
  20. rebel346

rebel346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed this rr, thanks.
    fjmartin likes this.