Trans America Trail 2019 - 6 strangers journey to brotherhood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 24, 2019.

1. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not just being able to pick it up. It's the overall size. And maneuvering around big stuff in tight quarters, and duck walking it through mud and quicksand, etc. Smaller is better, always.
  2. Mack4194

Mack4194 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I stopped by 8 dealerships today and couldn’t find anything I felt better on, the new bmw 850 looks pretty killer in my opinion, but it’s actually heavier than my 1190.

There are plenty of dirt bike style Enduros that are light and obviously a ton of fun, but they lack the creature comforts, most notably their seats!

A Honda enduro with a desert tank is looking like it would be perfect for the tat
  3. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love BMW. Have two But I wouldn’t spend the extra $ on an 850. Try a weestrom! Big down here in the smokies. Light. Easy to find parts chains tires etc. Bomb proof. Although your 1190 is an awesome bike
  4. Dirty Lloyd

Dirty Lloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings! Very much enjoyed this read. Great trip, great trip report.

Question. Early in there is mention of a XR having oil issues. Was it a Honda XR 650L? If yes, what was the issue?

Thanks again for the great write-up!!!

L.
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it was an XR650L. The bike was belching oil out the breather tube which goes into the air box and was killing the bike. The guy rerouted the tube to be an automatic chain Oiler :-). His carb was the primary issue and running too lean so overheating the bike. After cleaning like 5 times and getting the adjustments right it ran fine.
    DirtPoorOverland and MYUMPH like this.