Trans America Trail 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Motochimp, Jun 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask how the high heat out West compares to the humidity back East. Sounds like the Western heat is preferable?

Yeah, ATK/Orbital builds rocket boosters for military, commercial, and NASA. Quite a spread they have out there in the desert.
    Motochimp likes this.
  2. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heat is heat. Man, I can still taste that amazing milkshake from the Fields General Store.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love Fields Station!! One of my favorite places to stop when out exploring my happy place .

@Motochimp - you need to stop by if you haven’t been and it’s on your way west. I love that whole area (Alvord, Steens, Owyhee, etc).
    BLucare and Motochimp like this.
  4. teslaJ

teslaJ n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Motochimp! Tesla here- one of the mobile beer slingers you ran into in the desert. I have a couple photos of the moment if you'd like me to send them :-)
    I was happy to see you in the parking lot in Moab on our way back in!
  5. Motochimp

Motochimp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit!!! So glad to hear from you, and thanks again for saving my life. I saw you guys roll by and I was hoping you would stop so I could figure out a place to buy you guys some beers. Any pics would be awesome, and thank you again for your kindness, I tell everyone it was the best beer I’ve ever had… and it’s true.
  6. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    This gets better and better!
    teslaJ and Motochimp like this.
  7. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Tesla was the angel that found me out deep in Lockhart Basin and offered me a cold beer. She was out in one of those buggies with her boyfriend, they were the coolest.
  8. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I think it's awesome that someone created an account and uploaded a cool avatar photo, just because they were part of your journey :clap There are good people in this world, and this is a nice reminder of that.
    rtank, basketcase, teslaJ and 14 others like this.
  9. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes!! And that is what I meant by earlier comment. Fantastic story!! Hopefully someday they can meet up again somewhere. I have a feeling Motochimp will be buying!
    teslaJ, JeepDawg, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  10. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Indeed I will.
    teslaJ likes this.
  11. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was a great day of riding. Coming out of Boise was just like rolling in, a little boring. As I got into Oregon, scenery started to change and I climbed up into the Wallowa National Forest, it was incredible. Met 3 riders in John Day that were riding the TAT from west to east. We all grabbed a campsite and some beers and swapped stories, it was great to connect with some fellow TAT riders. 8016C5EC-D1AF-4811-8F4A-01C17E10985E.jpeg F10E459F-BCEB-4962-B30E-6FD52C1200C6.jpeg FD92CC65-0201-45B1-B5D8-65775A8C2765.jpeg 43C43611-B588-4DEB-AFF8-04A4C03776FA.jpeg
  12. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Based on my current pace, I should reach Port Orford tomorrow night or Monday, is there a customary or traditional pub there to have some beers, food, and celebrate? Also, any recommendations on lodging, I think I’ll deserve a hot shower.
    teslaJ, sea2summit, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  13. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t help with suggestions, but agree you deserve to treat yourself.

What camp chair is that you are using, and would you recommend it?
    Motochimp likes this.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting over Imogene on a loaded bike. I've never been up in those mountains on anything but a well prepared DRZ400 with no extra weight. I've been over Engineer's many times and attempted and failed Engineer's and Imgene when still covered in snow and ice in June. Finally made Imogene in our Jeep years later.
    liv2day, Motochimp and BLucare like this.
  15. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:

Well let's see, the Crazy Norwegian's Fish and Chips is right there and for a more upscale nice dinner we enjoyed the Redfish restaurant. We felt like it was important to camp our last night so we went down the coast a few miles to the Humbug Mountain State Park.
    Motochimp likes this.
  16. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, it’s from Costco. While making my list of needed items before launch, I knew I wanted a light weight camp chair. I bought a well rated one from REI, brought it home and tried it out, I liked it, but my first impression was the back wasn’t high enough and I felt at 6’ and 200 lbs, it was on the edge of tipping over backwards. 2 days later while in Costco is noticed this one with the high back, I sat in it and it worked great. Took the other back and I’ve been very happy with this one… and it was half the price:)
    Vark likes this.
  17. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call ahead to https://www.google.com/travel/hotel...d=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwiAq5u3i-vxAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQEA if you can get in. We tried and they were sold out. It’s vacation time on the coast and everything fills up ! Congrats Sir!!
    Motochimp likes this.
  18. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Thirsty, you sexy human being!!! I called Denise at the Castaway by the Sea, she said I was in luck, she had a cancelation about 30 minutes ago for tmrrw night. Now I can celebrate like the 57 year old dumbass fool that I am for completing this incredible journey. Based on Pitts recommendation I’m gonna hit the Norwegian Fish house, get hammered, then take a shower until the hot water runs out. I hope you enjoy your adventure, ride safe. Cheers!!!
    teslaJ, JeepDawg, JHof44 and 7 others like this.
  19. Motochimp

Oddometer:
    Today was incredible, but personally was maybe the toughest day of my trip. In the back of my mind I’ve been struggling with this day, I knew it was coming. I woke up early with my new TAT friends in John Day, we had coffee and I went west, they went east. My dilemma is that today’s ride will take me 22 miles from my home town of Bend. I haven’t seen my family since June 23rd, it’s almost been a month. This experience has been everything I wanted it to be, a true adventure, but I miss my family, my friends, my town, my bed, definitely missing a daily shower, and a home cooked meal. I knew Port Orford was only another 2 days away, the finish line. I justified a quick trip to the house in many ways, but knew the chances of me getting back on Ginger for another couple of days to finish the journey would be a very tough thing to do. I called my very supporting, most beautiful wife to just talk for a minute, after 34 years she could hear it in my voice. Then she said the words I needed to here just like the teammate she has always been… “just finish, I’ll be here when you get home”.
    So I mounted Ginger and said Giddy Up! Riding through Oregon was so awesome, after seeing so many great states before today I really appreciated where I was at the moment, so stoked to be home. Rolled through Prineville, grabbed lunch, then headed south across Oregon’s high desert and the many miles of washboard roads. It was all so familiar, the giant Ponderosa Pines, the red lava cinder roads, the smell of Juniper, it was hard not to want to be home. I have a friend with a cabin on Crescent Lake and the trail runs about 5 miles from the lake so I knew where his “hidden” key was and with his blessing called it a day. Knowing this would be the last night before I hit Port Orford it was the perfect place to be. I look forward to hitting the finish line tomorrow, hitting the Norwegian Fish House to celebrate, getting drunk, a hot shower, a good night sleep, and waking up to a days ride home. A few pics from today. F58392D9-B79D-437C-9F32-37A140077C47.jpeg A5903F59-98F7-43CB-A207-06509AFFF707.jpeg B6F59FC3-8B99-45DF-A1CD-D6329F3E99A5.jpeg CF9B8C2C-33BE-441B-AA7F-6F63E06E17D2.jpeg 243708BB-5FC5-417F-A422-AC44A1642B3F.jpeg 56662C73-AEB3-48CB-B1A1-492DDEDD6AFD.jpeg 7B8930CF-1031-42E6-819F-BE2BF3DF0C09.jpeg EA955EB6-7241-481F-B5AB-B1A8CE30CA73.jpeg
  20. teslaJ

teslaJ n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers! Hope the rest of your journey is a bit cooler!

Attached Files:

slimy, DirtScaresMe, TeaCell and 19 others like this.