Trans America Trail,a few questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LOZ, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    +1 yeah...made it back to Moab, spent $16 at the DIY car wash to clean off the mud (there is still mud from then baked on my front pipe), and the next day I went north on the tar.
  2. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    i thought it was because you were crap at cricket:evil
    mind you so are we these day's:cry

thank's for the info guy's i did not realise that it would be so late in the year
    i'm going to have to have a rethink about my plans

loz
  3. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    If you have the choice. The 1st 2 weeks of Sept. will be the ultimate. Cool morning temps and warm sunny days. Everyone wants to early because they are "chaffing at the bit" all winter and want to just go ! Cant blame them. But the smart money is on the 2 weeks prior to Sept. 15th. Trust me.
  4. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I agree with D-Mans comments. I think early Sept. is the best time to do it.[/quote]

:lol3 Great photo...
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Cricket??Whats that?
    Oh you mean gay baseball.:rofl

Just kid'n,i hope you find the info you need,and good luck on your trip!:thumb
  6. spqr

spqr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how safe is it for a solo rider(do i need a gun:lol3)

LOZ,
    I have spent many hours with many different people on this subject. First, and I am surprised that it is not addressed somewhere on this site, from law enforcement, to former criminals to professional soldiers, all agree, out side of very narrow circumstances you should not carry a firearm while traveling. Maybe I need to turn my sense of humor on.:wink: As for a solo rider I suggest Robert Fuller's "One Man Caravan" great book, but it it is his opinion that you are safer alone, as I think about it Ted Simon said something similar. My experience matches, as long as you stay away from big cities.

As for the rest, judgment and planning are highly overrated.
  7. VStromin

VStromin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loz, don’t let my sense of humor result in any bad decisions concerning weapons; SPQR is correct that this is a serious consideration. Concerning non US citizens, here’s a link that you may want to read first, http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html ; I am a retired municipal law enforcement officer and current federal law enforcement officer. Due to my work related experiences, personally, I will not travel without a firearm(s), knives and pepper spray, on that I’m serious. But US Congressional Bill H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act” allows me to carry concealed firearms with restrictions. http://www.napo.org/legislative-update/UpdatedHR218FAQs.htm. If I were you I would research the laws concerning any other type of weapons you may be planning to carry. Different states, counties and municipalities, as well as federal jurisdictions, i.e. national parks, have varying laws from the length of knife blade that constitutes a violation to less lethal i.e. tazers and chemical.
  8. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question , if I started on the TAT in colorado , how far do you think i could make it in 11 days going around 150 miles a day ? I was hoping to make it through utah.
  9. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    you would easily make it through Utah in 11 days. No problem
  10. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:

My math sucks but I'll take a stab at it. 1650 miles????

:hide
    flyaway likes this.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Loz, don't get too hung up on the TAT - sure it's a fantastic route (I did the majority of the Colorado to Oregon sections last year), but it is only scratching the surface of what's out there... You honestly will not believe the opportunities for off-highway riding out here compared to the UK... particularly in the western desert states - Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and of course California too... If your free time is now, all are excellent destinations for dual-sport riding!

Of course as others have said, some of the most spectacular terrain - the high passes in Colorado and some parts of Oregon, will still be covered in snow until late spring/early summer and beyond (as will the highest parts of the Sierra Nevada), but there is loads of great riding and weather at slightly lower elevations from now onwards!

xxx
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Same here- got them today. JohnTM loaned me his. I opened the envelope and could not stop laughing. WTF is this stuff?

Ok, so it looks like I'll be spending some time with GPS software.
  13. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi,that is kind of the plan(not a word i use very often)to get to that side of the country,have a ride about then perhaps go south
    to be honest i've not done much solo touring,usually with a woman on the back or with the lad's so once i actually get my shit together rent the house and ship the bike(KTM SE) time is not too much of a problem it's more if i can handle solo long term moto touring,the most i've done is a 6 week ride down to Senegal to catch some of the dakar in o7,group of 5 then 4 then 2 then solo back, the guys only met once before we went and it did not work out

in o3 me and the ex brought an ex dade county cop car in ft lauderdale and drove down to southern Mexico for a few weeks then up to the lake of the ozarks and back down to Ft L so i know how boring the highways are

i've just committed to a two week ride in morocco with friends in may(might not see them for a while) so the US will be later june onwards

loz
  14. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I deserved that , just being lazy and didnt want to measure it on a map.

15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Well in that case, one option would be to start on the west coast (southern California is easy to ship to either by air or sea) - check out the best bits of the Mojave and Death Valley, then head up to Oregon via the Sierra Nevadas, then do the TAT route in reverse, finishing up in Colorado when the weather is at it's best?

I know Sam recommends you ride the TAT east to west, but that is primarily due to the way he has planned the roadbooks etc. If you can sit down with the maps/route (and you can get some great maps/atlas's of the western desert states btw.) and/or have the route converted to GPS tracks, then there is no reason not to do the route in reverse?

Certainly ending in Colorado (unless you wanted to go the whole way to Tenessee of course) would be a spectacular way to finish your trip!

xxx
  16. BlueBuell

BlueBuell Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, excellent advice from seasoned TAT riders! 3 of us are doing the Arkansas to Moab portion of the TAT from June 12th to June 28th.
    We decided to go a bit early to beat the heat in Oklahoma, even though we may not make it through the highest passes in Colorado.
    Plus we have to return home to Austin, TX and did not want to do that in July and August - its just too hot here.
    Cheers.
  17. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:

so what month are you leaving??
  18. flyingreg

flyingreg just ridin' along

Oddometer:
    Since no one mentioned this source for maps, I'll toss it out there. ADVCYCLING has maps, gps coordinates, mileages point to point, etc. Maps are almost 1/3 the price. I agree on the concensus the end of summer for best time to plan this ride.
  19. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TAT on that site is a completely different route from the TAT at Transamtrail.com That one is made for cyclists , and most likely a lot of the spots on there would not be legal for a motorcycle.
  20. flyingreg

flyingreg just ridin' along

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you chimed in early on that. I had no idea. I would have thrown down cash for maps I couldn't use. Not to mention inmates here doing the same. Thanks.