Trans America Trail,a few questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LOZ, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TAT is a great adventure, if you have time, plan side trips off of it as well. Many things to see all over.

Dont go to early, snow in the high country can kick ones ass. Might want to read some of the Vintage Ride we are doing. However, always a way around the snow, but high mountains are my favorite part of riding all the parts of Colorado.

Riding solo, several have done it. I would take a SPOT tracker if I were going alone, just in case. Shit happens to the best of us.

Good Luck.
  2. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    Ah The voice of Experience! He is not kidding either. in case you are not a Doc this is Whats left of a collar bone

[​IMG]

And it was a really freak deal he was only going 5 MPH and was stopping, hit a soft spot and was launched over the bars. hit just right on the helmet and jammed the bone. 99% of the time it would have been a "hurt your pride" kinda fall and you would dust off and keep going but this put an end of the TAT for him. Probably could have got out if he was alone at the spot that this happened as a matter of fact he rode to the main hyway about 40 miles but it could have happened any where. The SPOT tracker is not 100% but it is better than not having anything.
  3. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Don't let this photo scare you... this is merely an example of the wrong tool for the job. If you are going solo, I'd get a smaller, more reliable bike with the right tires.

And why do you guys call that grease gumbo? Have you never been to Louisiana? Damn Yanks. Where the front tire is drowning could BARELY be called "gumbo" mud.

[​IMG]
    Gumbo is a soup, not icing on a cake!

Seriously, If you are only able to do it at the time you are saying you are going, make sure your bike is small and light, packed light and like i mentioned, good tires. Be prepared to re-route and have a blast. You CAN get around the passes that are snowed in. You CAN get through mud.

I've got nearly 20,000 offroad miles under my super-egolishus 22 year old belt and have ridden in everything from tropical jungle mud to Louisiana "Gumbo" mud, to deserts to rocky-mountains (not THE).

One thing I hate is when people say "you cant" or "you dont want to" or "it'll be too cold" or "too wet"... effem and go for your motorbike ride.:thumb

:wave
    Blaise W likes this.
  4. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    There it is,words to follow. :clap It's suppose to be an adventure. You can't plan every little detail, cuz sure as a shit after a cup of coffee something will change. Do it when you can, Ride it and have fun.
  5. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Surely enough shit follows a cup of coffee. Plan on that... I do. :thumb
  6. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

it should be noted that the photo was taken after a downpour where the mud was diluted a bit. The low fender was a poor choice for that stuff as the front wheel had already stopped turning 3 times before getting to that spot. I wouldn't say that the 950 is the wrong tool for the job...more that the way I had it set up (bone stock) was not good. The bike ended up on its side after getting no traction on the slightest of hills...turning around was impossible because the rear tire kept slipping around....and the culmination was sticking the front tire in the ditch...loosing balance and slipping footing...and over we go. It happens. I survived. I'd do it again in a heart beat. :evil
  7. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    That fall sill pisses me off. What a way to screw up a good day riding!!!
  8. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    We found some of our own fun on day 2 of the OK to Ut trip in 07

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was not deep maybe 2" but it was the stickiest crape I heave ever seen. It stopped the front even with high fenders and locked up the back even in 1st gear. took 5 or 6 hours to get out of a 1 mile section and that was with 2 others helping. would have been 2 times that If I was alone.

The TAT while not hard on the surface has a way of kicking your ass some where, some how.
  9. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Wow man, I feel for you! Thats about .5 MPH Thats not good.
  10. Crowmoto

Crowmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    return flight ??? you didnt ride back??
  11. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    When that was written it was in response to someone that was flying in from out of the country if i remember right
  12. OhioKLR

OhioKLR When in doubt, throttle out

Oddometer:
    I have a 10 day vacation/ ride planned. I 'm going leave Columbus Ohio the last week in May, Starting the trail in West Virginia and heading as far as I can get in the time I have. Hopefully WV,VA,NC,TN,MS, and maybe Arkansas before having to bail and rage pavement back to Ohio. Does anyone know approximately how many days each of those states take?
    Unitrackmind likes this.