Trans America Trail in July. Riders wanted

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nix046, Dec 25, 2015.

1. marcuslegood

marcuslegood yay

Oddometer:
    I plan to do the complete trail. Ill be on a drz400 I have a good bit of offroad experience and on road trips. This has been on the back burner for close to ten years and I have the chance to do it so I am 100% committed to it.
  2. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bill
    Sorry about the delay. I was riding the TAT last year and on the second day in the backwoods of Mississippi I tore it when picking my bike up. We rode into LRA and I parked my bike there and flew home.
  3. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am now planning on leaving in late June from Nashville and will set the date at the end of the month. It looks like I will have one buddy signed up-a riding pal from Australia (from where I originate myself) so probably would need just one more as I think any more than that starts to get unwieldy.
    It would also be advisable to confer at length by phone before getting together to check that the plans were compatible. Last year another buddy had teamed up with a guy that he had met briefly before and it didn't go well. The guy had done almost no machine prep, had no spares and took 2 hours each morning to get going.
  4. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We will be shipping our bike with Patriot express - about $500 Alameda to Nashville. Door to door.
  5. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have two riders now with a third pending. We may have room for one more and I will know at the end of the month.
  6. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Owing to my riding buddy's schedule we will have to leave around June 23. We have a third rider pending but may have room for one more. What are you riding?
  7. nix046

nix046 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am getting back to respondents as we may have room for another rider. Are you still thinking of the trip and if so what are you riding?
    Brent
    Mr1wilderness likes this.
  8. marcuslegood

marcuslegood yay

Oddometer:
    I was really wanting to start at the ocean in NC I could possibly get there a few days ahead and meet in TN. I'll be on a drz400
  9. marcuslegood

marcuslegood yay

Oddometer:
    When we're you thinking of leaving? We may be able to get a second group together for more flexibility
  10. NicorAdv

NicorAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are u time constrained in the completion?
  11. HDLNR

HDLNR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    June/July around there. I have no set dates since I'm pretty much already on a bike trip and in the area
  12. marcuslegood

marcuslegood yay

Oddometer:
    I'm flexible I don't get back from Washington state till like the 20th of june. Then I planned to haul my bike from Indiana down to NC coast and start from there. So I would like to give myself a couple weeks to make sure I'm setup and ready to roll. So that's why I was thinking the weekend after July 4th for me.
  13. Balthazard

Balthazard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am flexible with dates after June 10th and before August 5th.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
  14. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    The DR I had already rigged out for TAT, I sold a year ago.
    Just got home from buying it back. Its the one in sig over to left.

Few maintenance items I have do to it.
    Have to break out the penny jar now and see how much I have left.

I'll know mid April what I am going to do.
  15. blisske

blisske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to start the TAT on July 4th. Interested in finding others who will be on the trail at the same time.
  16. BooBoo33

BooBoo33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    I'm also planning an early to mid July departure from somewhere along the SC or NC coast. Plan on going all the way thru to Oregon. I would like to camp as much as possible with motel stops as needed due to weather or because I just can't stand to smell myself any longer. I might have a couple of nephews joining me for some riding but I'm solo otherwise. It would be nice to join up with a group for some or all of the trip. I'm pretty flexible with schedule and won't be trying to speed ride the TAT. Some side trips will have to be made along the way. No set plans, just take each day as it comes. I'll be on a DR650 and traveling lite. I hope!
    Bill
  17. NicorAdv

Oddometer:
    define "traveling lite"

Sam C. TAT ?
  18. trikepilot

trikepilot Gettin' by... Supporter

Oddometer:
    We may cross paths as our TAT schedules will be somewhat close - if you are fast and I am slow, that is. I leave on the TAT - the "real" TAT that goes Atlantic to Pacific - around May 31. I head to the Outer Banks in a Uhaul with my buddy and his DR350SE. We are taking 4 days to meander our way back west to home in Asheville where I will stay several days to reconfigure my packing, prep the bike with new tires and brakes, and rest up. I plan to leave Asheville around June 9th and head west to Andrews to Sam's new start for the TAT there. I am picking up a fellow rider for a week somewhere in TN/AR and have invitations to others to join me but I am gonna be doing it mostly solo. So overlap riding with others at times will be nice. I will have both Sams and Kevins tracks and will be doing a hybrid of the two I would imagine. Not looking for a speed record as I want to enjoy the ride out to Port Orford. I have a full month and likely more to complete the ride.
  19. BooBoo33

BooBoo33 n00b

Oddometer:
    It's like normal traveling, with a third less calories. Haha
    I just won't be carring tons of gear, clothes, etc. with me. Not minimalist but something like it.
    Yes, I'll be riding Sam's route. I have his routes loaded on the gps. Still not sure about roll charts.
  20. Wharfmonkey

Wharfmonkey n00b

Oddometer: